What's new

Which Thiers Issard to choose?

I'm looking to get back into straights after I abandoned them a few years ago (used to love the experience but somehow lost interest in wet-shaving for a while :blushing:).

I've been looking at Thiers issard and in particular two entry level razors they do (since I don't have much money available for it). One has a "Le grelot-form" blade (said to be of a heavy grind) and one has a "special coiffeur" blade.

What I want to know is how these compare? Are they fairly similar or is one more aggressive (such as the grelot which I presume is more rigid)?

I remember having a Thiers Issard which was quite rough to shave, what are these two like?

I would welcome your input.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you can find a Le Grelot that's the one I would get as they were/are hard to come by.

I don't think you can really call a straight razor aggressive. It is all up to person wielding it and the the skill. For example, tonight I was testing two of my razors which I just honed so I shaved half my face with one of them, and the other half completely with the other. The two razors couldn't be more different, one was a full hollow 5/8 German blade while the other was a 13/16 Sheffield near wedge(heavy grind). They both shave equally well for me and I have a heavy coarse beard. I do believe hollow ground razors must be sharper in order to go through thick stubble like a heavy grind, which kind of mows anything down because hollow blades have some flex to them whereas as a heavier grind will be more rigid.

I have never used a Theirs Issard or Le Grelot but they are both extremely well respected on these forums. Are these razors brand new or vintage/used because I know some Theirs Issard blades can get very expensive?

Maybe someone with more experience than me will chime in and help out because thats all I know.

I have TIs and Le Grelots (LG) and I love the LGs more - whether they are the "Hospital", Lotus, or the blanks that TI recently rescaled. TI makes some beautiful (yet sometimes gaudy IMO) blades but their scale choices are always gorgeous. From my experience the LGs hold a more mellow edge (yet still VERY sharp) but my experience is still fairly limited. I am mainly speaking of edges that I received from other people. I wonder what they would be like if I were to re-hone them. Bears some research... :thumbup1:

I guess my bottom-line opinion is that you have chosen a very nice pair of brands to shave with

Last edited:
Thanks for your posts guys. I think my issue with the last one (which is why I called it aggressive) was that it just felt fairly rough whereas a vintage razor that I had at the time seemed much more smooth. I kind of wish I hadn't sold that one now but nevermind :-/

Part of the problem for me is that my skin can be fairly sensitive at times so that's why I asked about how they work out for others.

im looking at a Le grelot that appears to be new (or at least new-old with new scales, it's this one here: http://www.thiers-issard.co.uk/tibasicrazor.html). I was also considering a dovo because they used to work well for me but I'm a bit shallow and the grelot looks way nicer (even without decoration).

Last edited:
OK, that's still a Theirs Issard. It is described as a "Le Grelot" style since it doesn't have a lot of embellishments. LGs have the bell logo, like this:
$LG_logo_031513.jpg
TIs have a crown logo, like this:
View attachment 318343

Last edited:
That Le Grelot is it a razor made by TI to resemble the past Le Grelot razors. I believe it was around the 1980's(but I'm probably wrong) when LG shut down and was acquired by TI. When TI took over they found some blanks which were forged my LG and cut them to make new razors. The 6/8 1/4 hollow(heavy grind) razor sold out is still sought after. TI has however started to make blades resembling this LG blade using steel which they forged. They are calling these Le Grelot Likes or Le Grelot Form such as the one you are looking at. These new razors are made from their C135 steel and are called new forgings whereas the original Le Grelot blanks are called historical forgings. Have you considered vintage razors? Sometimes you can find a good deal if you keep an eye out.

Thanks for clearing that up.

So if they are new blades, is it likely there is minimal difference in terms of how they each shave? I was basically looking at either that grelot-style one, or the other entry razor TI do (it's a 5/8 like this: http://www.thiers-issard.co.uk/specialcoiffeur.html).

My problem with vintage is I've found them very hit and miss in the past. Think I like making life difficult for myself lol. I might put out a post to see if anyone still has a certain one I sold once which had been the best razor I had ever owned (a 5/8 Bethlehem star).

+1 on the Le Grelot and also for the Thiers-Issard 'Evide Sonnant Extra' 5/8 Extra Full Hollow Ground 'Singing' Round Point Razor

I'm looking to get back into straights after I abandoned them a few years ago (used to love the experience but somehow lost interest in wet-shaving for a while :blushing:).

I've been looking at Thiers issard and in particular two entry level razors they do (since I don't have much money available for it). One has a "Le grelot-form" blade (said to be of a heavy grind) and one has a "special coiffeur" blade.

What I want to know is how these compare? Are they fairly similar or is one more aggressive (such as the grelot which I presume is more rigid)?

I remember having a Thiers Issard which was quite rough to shave, what are these two like?

I would welcome your input.

I have a 6/8 Special Coiffeur, this is half-hollow with a stabilizer near the thumb. I also have the "Sparticus" version of the x-thick which has no stabilizer and a large thumb notch. ( I also have a 1/4 hollow CrownWing, a 3/4 hollow Ti from Grelot blanks, and a 3/4 hollow vintage grelot)
The half-hollow is quite rigid compared to a full hollow and the x-thick is nowhere near a wedge, but still very stiff.

Personally, I love the large thumb notch without a stabilizer because I have large hands. My Grelots have stabilizers, so I am not sure where this 'form' comes from.

I have found the x-thick and 1/4 hollow to be more challenging to hone.

If you are budget conscious, the "Evide Sonnant Extra" might satisfy. It's not easy to eat just one. The 'new' old Le Grelot gets points for jimps top and bottom.
Spartacus has the look I like.

$IMG_1886.jpg

Hmm those look good!

Do you know if there is a difference between the "Evide Sonnant Extra" and that special coiffeur I gave a link to above? I can't seem to find one if the evide ones in the uk (except on one site where it's more than I'm willing to pay for it).

With TI razors you pay a serious premium for the fancy scales and for blade adornment.

$photo.jpg

Attachments

• $photo.jpg
    $photo.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
So do you mean the blades are pretty much the same, it's just the scales and decoration that costs more? I'm still interested in a TI, but want to know if there is a real difference in the blades (apart from shape and grind)

So do you mean the blades are pretty much the same, it's just the scales and decoration that costs more? I'm still interested in a TI, but want to know if there is a real difference in the blades (apart from shape and grind)

Yes, there are only a few shapes and grinds, with a variety of options for width, polishing, etching, spine detail and scales (all adding cost). The more expensive ones also come with a leather pouch. For example, I believe the "entry-level" "Grelot-form" razor you link is the identical blade to the "Sparticus" version with box elder scales for triple the price.

They do not seem to have any full hollow ground razors available at the moment with plastic scales, otherwise they would be at the same price point as the two you have linked above.

Ah ok well that's pretty much what I really wanted to know lol (though I managed to overcomplicate it immensely). I'm gonna have a look around at them. What's the reputation of DOVO these days? Are they still good?

Top Bottom