What's new

Which Swede?

Here's a question for you straight razor aficionados..

I've been trying to acquire a nice Henkels or Hjelstrand razor. So, for those with experience, would you choose one over the other? Are there preferred models to look for?
I see nice Hjelstrands seem to go for a bit higher prices than Henkels. Is there a reason for this? I don't see how one could be much superior to the other, if at all, so is it just an "internet expert" driven difference?

All thoughts welcome...

There's a LOT of variables here, from size and shape, to grind, to type of steel, to scale material. Not to mention what era of Henckels you're looking at. With Heljestrands, you're going to have a fair amount of variety, 1/4 hollow (fairly common) 1/2 hollow (less common), full hollow (most common). In terms of size, Heljes are going to be easiest to find in the 4/8-5/8s range, 6/8s more rare, and larger than that are scarce. You'll see scales made of ivory (fairly common, actually), real tortoiseshell (pretty scarce) and of course celluloid. They did offer stainless razors in later years, I don't know if they were all quarter hollow but the only ones I've seen for sale have been quarter hollow.

With Henckels, you'll find good examples from the early part of the 20th century, usually around 5/8s, grinds can vary. Scales are typically black cell or maybe horn. Post WWII they have a lot fewer models but they made a lot of them. Most of them are Friodurs (stainless) with rather ugly celluloid scales. 6/8, full hollow is going to be the most common, but they did make a fair number of 5/8s, some 7/8, and very few 7/8+. Almost all of them are full hollow, but the 72-v is a quarter hollow/near wedge in 6/8, and not common.

Both companies made excellent razors, especially pre-WWII Heljestrands and post-WWII Henckels (in my opinion, anyway). Pricing may be partly due to the fact that Henckels made a LOT of very good razors in the relatively recent past and they're easy to find.

As far as which is better, well... both will shave hair off your face, if honed properly. I prefer the aesthetics and variety of the Heljestrands personally, which is why I own seven of them and one Henckels.

One day you might find a Henkels that you like more than any Helje you can find.
Next day, Helje's might be on top of the list.
I have owned more Henckels than Heljes - both brands made great blades but both brands made blades that look and feel much different than each other. What is best is up to the user though. I can't say that any Swede razor I've used shaved me better than a Hanckels. BBS is BBS and both get me to BBS.
First thing for me to do is to figure out what I want in a razor. Size, scale types, grind, etc. Then I look for it. Almost any known vintage blade is going to shave as well as another other when they're honed correctly. Flavor of the day determines prices as much as anything, I try to not let that get in the way.
I don't have a Henckels right now but I do have a Helje... that could change tomorrow. To be honest, I prefer my SSA over the Helje. And Engstrom framebacks have always been bigger fave of mine too, but that's better left for another thread I guess.

There is only one way to know the answer to your question - buy one of each :).

To the best of my knowledge, Henckels model 17 came in two lengths. The longer length is pretty much the same as a 14 but less expensive. There are lots of these in Japan. As Matt said, the 72-V near wedge is a good one. The regular 72 has a stabilizer - lots of these too. The 13 is a nice one, too. Henckels made a 14 but there do not seem to be a lot of these.

I have Henckels and Heljestrand and recommend both highly. My Friodur is 8/8 and it's a monster. It must be the hardest SR I own. It's hard to find Helje's larger than 5/8 which is a pity.

I like both but my fav between the two is Henkels. I'm like the German Steel more than the Swede. The harder steel is just not something I like as much.
Everyone is different. You need to buy 3 of each and use them all for a year. Then you will know.

I like both but my fav between the two is Henkels. I'm like the German Steel more than the Swede. The harder steel is just not something I like as much.
Everyone is different. You need to buy 3 of each and use them all for a year. Then you will know.

The thing about comparing Swedish steel to other steel
is that you don't always know whether or not
the other steel is also Swedish.

Swedish steel has always had a great reputation
and for a long time
Sweden exported more steel than anyone else.

Top Bottom