What's new

Which superspeed?

When it comes to Super Speeds there are tons of options. I have only tried a few of the Super Speeds and I find them too mild for my taste. They might not be Super Speeds, but I find the OC Aristocrats both US and British to be quite nice as well as the US Senator. The rest of the British SB Aristocrats are also quite nice. Still a bit on the milder side, but I get much better shaves.

I have a butt ton of older super speeds. The big difference happened around 1962 when they went to the flatter head. Prior to that the 40s and 50s flair tips shave identical (to me) except the flair tips have a nicer grip. Aesthetics are purely personal.

English rockets have a nicer finish and definitely shave smoother. It’s worth the wait to get a rocket.

So would you consider the superspeeds an autopilot razor. You know like a mindless shave like my post war tech?
”For the most part.” They are marginally more aggressive and efficient and have a larger sweet spot. They are still in the mild category and are forgiving but not to the same level as a post war. For me the superspeeds are nicer because I have to pay less attention to the angle to get a good shave compared to a post war. I’d only be hesitant if I had an issue that affected my motor skills.

So, the clear answer coming from this thread is to get every version of the superspeed and their kissing cousins the Ranger Tech and Milords.
The red tip is a nice bit of difference but if I had to pick one to keep it would be an early English flair tip. Very smooth and a nicer quality feel to it. I have a milord I have yet to try so can’t even comment on that.

I found the 40s style super speed to be just a tad more aggressive than the later flare tip models. Not that the 40s style razors are aggressive, but the regular flare tips seem to me to be a touch milder. All are excellent choices.
2nd, the above comment.

The red tip is a nice bit of difference but if I had to pick one to keep it would be an early English flair tip. Very smooth and a nicer quality feel to it. I have a milord I have yet to try so can’t even comment on that.

Nice.

The Milord is interesting. It started off as a gold Ranger Tech in '41 and '46. '46 added end caps.

Then sometime in '47 switched to becoming a gold Super Speed. You can tell by the handle and can see the two earlier in this thread. The earlier '41/'46 Milford and the Ranger tech has a bit more blade feel then the super speed.

Easy and cheap enough to pick up a HD Rocket which is a lovely looking superb mild & efficient shave - they are one of my favourites.

The Red tips have that macho flavour of being aggressive - there is also the lovely Aristocrat Jr's too which are lovely weighted and just feel so solid.

All shave very similar; you'll only get noticeably different shaves if your shave prep alters.

So you guys talked me into a 40's superspeed. It came it the mail this afternoon. I'm excited about tonights shave.

Attachments

• 20230201_195254.jpg
    20230201_195254.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 33
I am currently looking for a vintage superspeed but not sure which one to get. I love mild and efficient razors. My current go to razors are a gillette post war tech, razorrock gamechanger .68, and ej de89. So which superspeed should I go with?
I have two, a 1948 and a 1958 red tip, just finished shaving with the red tip with a vintage Wilkinson sword England on 5th shave. I love them both, vintage imo is the way to go I wasn’t crazy about the newer ones. Good luck

Top Bottom