What's new

Which superspeed?

I am currently looking for a vintage superspeed but not sure which one to get. I love mild and efficient razors. My current go to razors are a gillette post war tech, razorrock gamechanger .68, and ej de89. So which superspeed should I go with?

IIRC, Red tip is the most aggressive, black is in the middle and blue is the mildest. I may have mixed up black and blue, but a quick internet search will set you straight.

They are fairly reasonably priced in user grade condition. Maybe pickup a regular and a color tipped one to test drive? Prepare and then jump ahead two months from now to your collection of superspeeds, and other vintages, that you just cannot part with. Enjoy the journey :)

R

romsitsa

From the US Superspeed range the 40ies all brass version is bulletproof choice and dirt cheap compared to others.
For me the Senator/Sheraton is closer to a mild, effective razor than any Superspeed.
For a more exotic Superspeed vibe there are the UK Aristocrat Juniors or the Populars.

Ok you said you want mild...

Mildest would be the blue flair tip.
Then the normal flair or black handle SS
Then the black tip or pre flair tip SS
Then the red tip as most aggressive of them

Another set to add in there is the '41 or '46 Ranger tech/Milord that is like between the black tip and red tip SS. The Later '47 and newer Milord is like the black tip or pre flair tip SS.

All IMO and YMMV

Black-handle would suit you just fine. Blue tip is nice, too, since you like mild shavers.
Regular 60s flair tips are mild, as well.

I know everybody seems to love the 40s style SS, but they are a little bit more aggressive. Red tip is fine but for your stated preferences is probably not the best choice.

I think a ‘40s style should your first Super Speed. The original. Bullet-proof. *I should note, however, that I’ve not used a later, flair tip or black handle SS to compare.

I have several no-date-code SSs, and my grandfather’s ‘53. They all shave the same: fantastic. I call the Super Speed “the Closer”: my bullpen razor, if you’ll pardon the baseball jargon. If ever I’m having a rough time with another razor; or after a couple passes there’s still stubble to clean up… call to the ‘pen, bring out the Super Speed. Never fails to finish it.

I agree the handle could be described as utilitarian at best. I recently bought a Red Tip just for the handle, which is gorgeous - but I don’t think I could shave with a red tip every day; definitely not the choice if you are looking for a mild razor.

Last edited:
If you want mild, maybe the 1950s standard flare tip would suit you well. They are easy to find and not very expensive. They're a very comfortable shaver.

The 1940s are a bit less mild and also kind of plain in appearance.

The 1950s era UK Rocket version is a favorite of a lot of people.

Last edited:
Of all the ones I’ve owned, I liked my “65 the best. The main reason was the head. It was shorter than a 40’s and ‘56 I had, making it easier to shave under my nose.

They’re all nice though, except for the one black handle 70’s model I had. It felt cheap and didn’t hold the blade like the others.

Last edited:
The 1971 Super Speed black handle I have is quite nice. To me it provides a shave that is virtually indistinguishable from the 1960s era Super Speeds. Very mild razors. IMO it's easier to get a high quality shave from a Schick injector from the same era.

Legion

Staff member
Milord. Go fancy or go home.

27EBD62E-E441-4797-9F71-BA7F7EAA9E57.jpeg

Top Bottom