What's new

Which supermarket Italian espresso to try next?

I've just finished my first package of Lavazza Crema e Gusto (the blue and red package pictured below). To tell you the truth, I didn't really care for it.

I've got Lavazza Oro (gold package), Lavazza Rosa (red and silver package), and a can of Medaglia D'Oro to choose from next.

Of these, which is least and most like the Crema e Gusto?

In case it matters, I'm using a Bialetti 3 cup moka pot.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I can't comment on the question, but I have enjoyed the Medaglia d'Oro in the past.

No matter what, grinding your own leads to a much better cup.

I can't comment on the question, but I have enjoyed the Medaglia d'Oro in the past.

No matter what, grinding your own leads to a much better cup.

Thank you for the reply.

I do normally grind my own beans but unfortunately my grinder cannot get to the super-fine espresso grind.

I have tried using the finest grind I can get with my grinder in the Moka pot. It is good, but weaker and without froth.

I might look into a new grinder if my current one breaks, but really don't want to go down that road at this time.

My favorite is this one:
proxy.php

However, the one you just finished is very good.

My parents used the Medaglia D'Oro as their staple.

FYI for those reading this post, I just found out Medaglia D'Oro is American and not Italian. Not that it really matters as long as it is good.

update:

Went to the store to get one in a metal tin I could reuse.

They were covered in dust and the use-by date was only a few months away.

Decided to go with the "freshest" one which has a 2020 use-by date...it was this one:

proxy.php

We'll see how it goes.

I couldn't care less if it were Polish. If it's good, it's good, and it's good.

Completely agree.

I have tried using the finest grind I can get with my grinder in the Moka pot. It is good, but weaker and without froth.
I'm by no means a coffee/espresso expert, but I was never able to get any type of crema while using a Moka pot. Pre-ground, home-ground, store-ground... nothin

update:

Went to the store to get one in a metal tin I could reuse.

They were covered in dust and the use-by date was only a few months away.

Decided to go with the "freshest" one which has a 2020 use-by date...it was this one:

proxy.php

We'll see how it goes.

Completely agree.
That's one of my preferred coffees, 100% Arabica beans.
Also very good is Illy, as someone suggested, but for my taste they tend to roast the beans a bit too much, making it bitter
Here in Italy there are many more options, but not sure they'd be available over there
Let us know how you like the Lavazza oro ;)

I'm by no means a coffee/espresso expert, but I was never able to get any type of crema while using a Moka pot. Pre-ground, home-ground, store-ground... nothin

Maybe I'm using the wrong terms but look at the first part of this video (not mine) to see what I mean. When I use my home-ground, it just comes out flat and black.

That's one of my preferred coffees, 100% Arabica beans.
Also very good is Illy, as someone suggested, but for my taste they tend to roast the beans a bit too much, making it bitter
Here in Italy there are many more options, but not sure they'd be available over there
Let us know how you like the Lavazza oro ;)

Will do. First time will be tomorrow morning in an ordinary stove top percolator, hopefully I will get a chance to try it in the moka pot later during the day.

Bustelo is very popular in Miami

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I love Illy for my Moka pot, but it is too expensive for daily inhalation. I love Bustelo. I come in cheap bricks at Target, and it's available in cans in lots of supermarkets. I've never heard of Bustelo Supreme; I'll keep my eyes open.

UPDATE

Ok, so I tried the coffee using three different methods: pour-over Melitta funnel, stove-top percolator with paper filter disk, and Bialetti moka pot.

The coffee packaging describes the taste profile of this particular variety as "fruity/floral", and I could definitely taste this in the first two methods of brewing, not while using the moka pot. It has a very gentle, mellow taste. Maybe best suited for evening use.

I'll try using more grounds in the pour-over funnel, and play with the grounds/time ratio with the percolator to try and get a stronger brew. Brew is strong enough in the moka pot...thank-you very much.

I tried all these things with the Crema e Gusto (blue and red package), and it just didn't agree with me.

This coffee is good, but I'm certain there is better.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Just tried the 8 o'clock espresso beans. Really good cream and flavor along with being a great value.

Just tried the 8 o'clock espresso beans. Really good cream and flavor along with being a great value.

I have not seen 8 O'Clock in my neck of the woods (eastern Canada) in a long time. I do remember it being good coffee. In general though, the coffee types and brands must have doubled or tripled in the last decade at the grocery stores.

I just purchased one of the last packages of Lavazza Rossa the grocery store had; will be trying it shortly.

I typically blond the Lavazzo Oro with the Rossa. The red one is sometimes a little too 'dark' in flavor, the gold is quite light but flavorful. Together they make an EXCELLENT blend!

I exclusively make espresso.

Last edited:
I typically blond the Lavazzo Oro with the Rossa. The red one is sometimes a little too 'dark' in flavor, the gold is quite light but flavorful. Together they make an EXCELLENT blend!

Good idea! I will put aside a bit of the Oro to try that.

Top Bottom