What's new

Which steel razor should I purchase?

Goal: buy a razor that's as close to the Parker 24C as possible but made completely from steel. I think I like milder shaves.

After some fantastic help from people on the internet, I'm mainly considering the Razorock BBS and Rockwell 6S, with the BBS being the current favorite. I like the BBS because it looks just like the Parker 24C and has a minimal blade gap. The Rockwell 6S has 6 adjustable settings, but realistically I'll only use the mildest two, if that. The mildest setting has a blade gap of 0.2mm. I've considered others like the Game Changer, but I just don't think I'll like such a large blade gap.

Before I pull the trigger, do you have any info that'll sway me one way or another? Are there other razors I should consider?

I've used both and kept the Game Changer and sold the Rockwell 6S and this is my persoanl take:

If you don't care that much about BBS and you want an autopilot razor, then the Rockwell will likely suit you better. But if you want to get a bit closer shave with a bit more efficiency and just as smooth, then the Game Changer .68 or .84 will do just fine.

My personal recommendation for most people is to just get the Game Changer and be happy about it. You can try getting one on the Buy Sell Trade forum and with a bit of luck you can find multiple plates there or just the Rockwell 6S itself.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm sure you'll soon be overwhelmed with recommendations. If you are willing to consider the Artist Club razor options, I can't say enough nice things about the ATT X1 AC Slant..... It really is a wonder full mild but efficient razor. If you pick up a pack of Kai Captain Titan Protouch MC guarded blades, that would be a great place to start.

I have 6 amazing razors I've assembled over the past year. The ATT X1 is right there at the top. It might be more money than you plan to spend, so that could be a limiting factor.

I don't know about those other razors. I've never owned or used them.

I do own and use both the RazoRock Game Changer 68-P and the GC 84-P.

RAZOROCK GC 0.68-P - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/razorock-gc-0-68-p.634637/

Frankly, both of these razors have given me the best shaves of my life. I used the GC 68-P this a.m. and was once again rewarded with a DFS ++!

I'm 68 years old with a very course (think wire brush), white beard and sensitive skin. I prefer mild razors.

Razorock Game Changers are made from CNC machined, Marine, Surgical and Aerospace grade 316L stainless steel. It will literally last your lifetime. Machining is second to none. The best part, they are 'affordable'.

Consider, there are razors out there costing 5-8 times more, some made from what I consider inferior materials. IMO, if you have to Chrome Plate the stainless steel, it's not very good s.s.

I hope I didn't add to your confusion?

b/r

ON_1

Last edited:
I don't think you would be disappointed with the BBS OC as I find it similar to the Game changer 68p (I have a DScosmetics X2 game changer oc
clone as well)

But if you want insanely mild, smooth and still fairly efficient the PAA Meta-4 hands down! If you can get one since they are always out of stock.... The machine marks are very visible compared to the razorock offerings (not as well finished).

So to circle back the BBS OC is a good choice!

Last edited:
I echo what others have said that the gamechanger is worthy of consideration. The 0.68 is very mild and smooth, but decently efficient. I don't think you would find the blade gap too much. I know you're set on a stainless steel, but if you really would only use the mild options, you can get a Rockwell 2C, which is it's zamek model with only the 1/3 reversible plate. It's very affordable, around $30 I believe, and might give you a better idea.

I prefer mild razors. My top three most used razors:

Any Gillette Tech
Feather ASD2
Game Changer 68P
While I love the Gillette Tech too, it is plated brass and does not fit the OP's requirement for all steel. Plated brass is just as good as any stainless steel razor in my mind. I mean, there are pictures of brass fixtures and carbon steel plates still intact on the Titanic wreckage so for a razor, it should be fine too.

Since you specified steel, the 6S even though you may not use the other plates would be a good choice. Especially if you ever had a need to move up from the milder plates, it would always be available to you. I bought one off B&B for $75.
Otherwise you might look into Yates or the 'Merica. These have a bit higher efficiency but to me they are still mild razors. Yates has said they may make the Winning Razor again which would be milder still and has a lot of loyal fans.
If you were not looking specifically at a steel option I would have recommended you get a Henson and call it a day. Mild, efficient, easy.

While I love the Gillette Tech too, it is plated brass and does not fit the OP's requirement for all steel. Plated brass is just as good as any stainless steel razor in my mind. I mean, there are pictures of brass fixtures and carbon steel plates still intact on the Titanic wreckage so for a razor, it should be fine too.

You are correct regarding the Tech, but you left out the main point that I made:

"If I wanted one well-behaved, inexpensive, machined stainless steel razor: Game Changer 68P."

Which directly addressed the attributes that the OP is seeking in a new razor.

I merely posted the other razors to illustrate my preference and experience. He said he preferred mild razors, as do I, so I posted some examples of what works for me (including the Tech) for context - but I concluded by suggesting the Game Changer may best suit his requirements.

You are correct regarding the Tech, but you left out the main point that I made:

"If I wanted one well-behaved, inexpensive, machined stainless steel razor: Game Changer 68P."

Which directly addressed the attributes that the OP is seeking in a new razor.

I merely posted the other razors to illustrate my preference and experience. He said he preferred mild razors, as do I, so I posted some examples of what works for me (including the Tech) for context - but I concluded by suggesting the Game Changer may best suit his requirements.
I prefer mild razors. My top three most used razors:

Any Gillette Tech
Feather ASD2
Game Changer 68P

If I wanted one well-behaved, inexpensive, machined stainless steel razor: Game Changer 68P.
It should also be important to note that the AS-D2 is essentially a refined Post-War Tech in SS; IIRC the blade gap on the AS-D2 is .29".

To be honest, I might think the GC.84 might be closer aligned to the Open Combed nature of the Parker 24C.
I can't be for sure as I've never used the P24C

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to own both the Game Changer .68 and the .84 as well as the Rockwell 6C (the zamak version of the 6S). I liked the Game Changer more than the Rockwell, but if your think that over time you may start to prefer a more aggressive (less mild) razor, the Rockwell will accomodate that. I found the bulky head of the Rockwell to be less agile than that of the Game Changer. And if you start with the Game Changer .68 and decide you want to try something more aggressive, you can just buy the .84 base plate.

Another choice that I would recommend is the Yaqi Tile. It is a stainless steel head that is visually simialr to the Henson. I've never used a Henson so I can't say how similar it really is. And some folks are not comfortable with it, since they feel it's too much of a clone. If that doesn't bother you, it is a fairly mild razor that sells for $30 when it's not on sale at AliExpress. You need to add a handle. If you don't have one to use with that head, you can pick up a stainless steel handle from Yaqi, or from several other vendors like Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Maggards Razors, etc. for $15-30.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Razorock GC or the Lupo are some excellent 316 stainless steel razors and the nice thing is you can always buy another base plate if technique matures over the years and want a little more aggression and efficentcy. I own both of these razors.
If you live in the US the exchange rate works in that persons favour also and if you buy over $60 US you get free shipping.
The Karve Overlander is another winner for a lot of folks also who enjoy that razor, I do not own that razor.
Like mentioned already there are lots of excellent razors brands out there at different price ranges, it has never been this good for a fellow who just wants a nice razor for every day shaving use.

For mild and smooth, the Rockwell 6S with plate R3 or R4 and the RazoRock GC .68-P work very well for me, as does the Gillette Slim on setting 2, if you decide to try vintage brass. Those are the only ones I use any more. The Feather may be even better, but I'm not about to spend the money to find out when what I have works well. I agree that steel is a good idea, especially if you are a bit, ahem, clumsy like me and sometimes drop things.

Top Bottom