What's new

Which steel razor should I purchase?

Since you mentioned the Rockwell... the good thing about that one is that you get to experiment and truly find what you like best. I have the 6c (not the 6s), which was my first DE, and it was a great teacher. I still have it though now I'm playing more with my new acquisitions (Timeless, Blackbird, Lupo), and it changed my initial impressions. I thought I would like mild but in my face the mild plates were almost useless. Plate 4 and up for me. And it's fun to use and to learn about DEs, if you don't mind a bulky head. I don't mind it and I've never had issues reaching under my big nose.
Another key thing is not to be fooled by the gap, that is only one minor factor in aggressiveness as it has been tirelessly discussed here. And technique is also super important. My first shaves with the Timeless 68OC (alleged mild) were brutally uncomfortable compared to my Timeless Slim (alleged violent, aggressive beast). Technique needs to be adjusted from DE to DE.
Whatever you decide, I think you have very good recommendations so far and I love Razorock quality at the very low prices the have.

I’ll get flamed for this but to me the gamechangers are a better shave than the lupos. You should have no fomo with what you have.

I was interested in the Lupo (.72) but already get an almost perfect shave out of the Game Changer 0.84P.

There are prettier things out there, but functionality improvements? I doubt it, unless I get on better with SEs or straights.

@SimpleClean You're missing a great opportunity if you insist on a stainless steel razor. There's a razor called the "Simple Clean Shave" You two share the same name! It's an aluminum body with stainless steel inserts at the wear points. It's very mild, smooth, and efficient. Made by a one man shop in the USA. (His website does mention that he used to make it in stainless, but I assume he no longer does.)

@SimpleClean You're missing a great opportunity if you insist on a stainless steel razor. There's a razor called the "Simple Clean Shave" You two share the same name! It's an aluminum body with stainless steel inserts at the wear points. It's very mild, smooth, and efficient. Made by a one man shop in the USA. (His website does mention that he used to make it in stainless, but I assume he no longer does.)

Excellent suggestion. The SCS razor is also sold by The Razor Company under their own brand and with free shipping. I have one.

Razorock Heads are M5 and they fit to Parker 24C handle.

But there is a big "BUT" here, Razorock handles are great stainles steel handles. And you pay less to the handle, if you buy a whole RR razor with handle. I highly advise to buy "with" handle.

Now lets look below proofings; RR Lupo .72 with handle is USD69,99

Wow that's a very good price. Here in Europe the price for the head+handle is 109 euros which is 117 dollars. 😞

I have ordered several times from ItalianBarber, they ship a razor for $9,9. Here in Germany we pay VAT and customs fees around 21% which makes something like €90.

Apparently the shipping cost to Greece is 29.99$ and I am not sure if there's an extra cost from customs. So basically it is the same cost plus the extra time you need to wait for the product to arrive.

Apparently the shipping cost to Greece is 29.99$ and I am not sure if there's an extra cost from customs. So basically it is the same cost plus the extra time you need to wait for the product to arrive.
Customs fees should be the same. We are in the EU... I was not aware that shipping to Greece is significantly more.

RazoRock is good, there is a lot of different options (40$-80$)
Rockwell 6S also, you can find a plate you like and if you want more agresive option you can always go up without getting new razor (100$)
Feather is mild option but price is quite high compared to other razors (200$)
EJ3One6 is a nice daily shaver that is in between mild and agresive, I love it, but YMMV (100$)
Price is aproximate, just for reference I didn't check it...
Mühle Rocca is similar to EJ3One6

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think it is the major reason I don't like my Green Cult V2. I just cannot stand this type of finish.
I polished my Green Cult 2.0 twice with Simichrome.... that took away the grittiness of the finish and gave it a nice, subtle glow/shine. I just applied, let it dry and hand rubbed with a micro cloth... while watching TV. I don't like those gritty matte finishes either.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

At the start, I was pretty set against the GC because of the blade gap, but despite that sentiment in the OP, there were still so many recommendations for it. I'm tempted to buy both the GC and BBS and give 'em a try.
Thanks again everyone, I've been given great information and lots to think about!

After some more putzing around the internet, I've decided that I'm definitely choosing only between the GC 0.68 and BBS, and I'm leaning heavily toward the BBS because:

1) The blade angle and gap more closely resemble my Parker 24C

2) I stumbled upon a YouTube video by OJShaves comparing the two, and his opinion is that they're equally efficient but the BBS is smoother while the GC has more blade feel. Smoother sounds better and blade feel almost seems like a bad thing.

Now I need to decide of I want the open comb or closed bar head :blink:

Razorock Game Changers are made from CNC machined, Marine, Surgical and Aerospace grade 316L stainless steel. It will literally last your lifetime. Machining is second to none. The best part, they are 'affordable'.

Consider, there are razors out there costing 5-8 times more, some made from what I consider inferior materials.
I couldn't agree more. In fact I'd say that holds true for all RazoRock razors. They aren't always my favourite designs, and many are copies, but machining, tolerances, and finish are always beyond reproach, even before you consider the very reasonable prices.

Ok has anyone compared Maggards SS70 to RR BBS? They are both CNC machined stainless steel but the Maggards are made in China but it is also polished.

I use to own RR Mamba .58 which was a little too mild and then they came out with the Mamba.70 which is Maggards version of SS70, I sold my Mamba but I am interested in getting the SS70 or RR BBS.

The Mamba was a smooth shave and I use to place shims to make it more aggressive, I think the Mamba 70 would have been perfect, does anyone know the gap for the RR BBS? They look identical to the Maggards SS70.

I eventually got the GC .68 and.84 but mostly use the.68 . It is similar to the Wolfman I have but I really miss the smoothness of the RR Mamba.

I would recommend the RR BBS if it’s a more efficient version of the Mamba.58, the blade is better supported if you prefer less blade gap.

Would appreciate any feedback on the Maggards SS70 as compared to the RR BBS.

Good luck!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think it is the major reason I don't like my Green Cult V2. I just cannot stand this type of finish.
I hand polished mine. That made a world of difference. I bought some polishing bits for my Dremel but haven’t used them yet.

I didn’t care for the finish on quite a few razors and/or handles but a simichrome polish gave them all a subtle shine and took away that gritty feeling.

I like my Green Cult 2.0 Level 2, it’s the only DE I brought with me to Bali for 6!weeks.

Top Bottom