What's new

Which Stainless steel razor compares favorably to my 3 favorites

@Alum Ladd Why did you have to do this? Why? I already have the New LC and SC, just started to finally get to shaving with them, I have been wanting to get more open combs but a modern one as I wanted to get a few more modern razors as I already have a good amount of vintage Gillettes (all which I like quite a bit and made sure I can shave with them) but now this has my gears starting to crank and turn to where "Well if this OC is that good why waste the money on a modern?" I was proud of myself for starting to pass on buying stuff but yea, sighs I will try to stay strong.

@Alum Ladd Why did you have to do this? Why? I already have the New LC and SC, just started to finally get to shaving with them, I have been wanting to get more open combs but a modern one as I wanted to get a few more modern razors as I already have a good amount of vintage Gillettes (all which I like quite a bit and made sure I can shave with them) but now this has my gears starting to crank and turn to where "Well if this OC is that good why waste the money on a modern?" I was proud of myself for starting to pass on buying stuff but yea, sighs I will try to stay strong.
Yes it's a superb vintage OC which has baffingly slipped under the radar. Souplex, W.J Myatt (which made the OC WW2 British army issue razor, and is very similar to my Souplex) and James Neill & Co who made the Eclipse Red Ring were three 1930's English big hitters in the UK razor market.

Souplex also made the Big Ben and Paragon brand.

I'm testing my Souplex out and have had excellent results. I will give it another weeks test and publish results. It's like a Tech meets a Fatip Piccolo. It killed a 5+ day growth in 2 passes and I have used it for daily shaves. It gives a genuine BBS every time, and so smooth and easy to use! Zero irritation, zero OC angst issues.

It likes Nacet and Plats. I will be putting a GSB through it too.

Due to the thin narrow headcap, low head sillouette and considerable blade exposure (more than a Piccolo it looks like) it has a very wide range of usable angle.

It's got that Tech sports car feel, as it only weighs about 30 Grams and it's so manoeverable.

Info on English inter-war Sheffield razor companies Sheffield Safety Razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/sheffield-safety-razors.505224/

A very old thread with some innaccurate info (Souplex was not a German company, it was set up in Morcombe Lancanshire in the North of England) but some nice pics Big Ben safety razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/big-ben-safety-razor.332783/#post-4875047

Some Wiki info on Soupex Souplex - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Souplex

You stay strong!

Last edited:
Yes it's a superb vintage OC which has baffingly slipped under the radar. Souplex, W.J Myatt (which made the OC WW2 British army issue razor, and is very similar to my Souplex) and James Neill & Co who made the Eclipse Red Ring were three 1930's English big hitters in the UK razor market.

Souplex also made the Big Ben and Paragon brand.

I'm testing my Souplex out and have had excellent results. I will give it another weeks test and publish results. It's like a Tech meets a Fatip Piccolo. It killed a 5+ day growth in 2 passes and I have used it for daily shaves. It gives a genuine BBS every time, and so smooth and easy to use! Zero irritation, zero OC angst issues.

It likes Nacet and Plats. I will be putting a GSB through it too.

Due to the thin narrow headcap, low head sillouette and considerable blade exposure (more than a Piccolo it looks like) it has a very wide range of usable angle.

It's got that Tech sports car feel, as it only weighs about 30 Grams and it's so manoeverable.

You stay strong!

I'll try! I will see what your feedback is like. I would like more moderns but I got in the vintage Gillette rabbit hole of Slim, Super Speed, Fatboy, New LC, New SC, Red Tip and Black Beauty, all which I love shaving with, all which I enjoy and have a meaning to me.

One of the rules I gave myself was "If your going to buy it you have to be able to shave with it". I am 7 months into wet shaving and have been on this spree, its been great but when I was asked by someone "Why don't you have more moderns?" now which I am aware of where before I wasn't, its because to me the modern's will be there, the vintage stuff shaves really well and for someone with thick, coarse facial hair who is prone to ingrown hairs, I really like how they shaved! I could go 7 days plus without shaving, use say the Slim or Fatboy and I would get great shaves out of them.

I am just wondering now how easy are they to get? Like I said I'll stay strong but it does have me wondering in a just in case scenario. At the same time I am quite content with my current stuff, so we shall see.

I'll try! I will see what your feedback is like. I would like more moderns but I got in the vintage Gillette rabbit hole of Slim, Super Speed, Fatboy, New LC, New SC, Red Tip and Black Beauty, all which I love shaving with, all which I enjoy and have a meaning to me.

One of the rules I gave myself was "If your going to buy it you have to be able to shave with it". I am 7 months into wet shaving and have been on this spree, its been great but when I was asked by someone "Why don't you have more moderns?" now which I am aware of where before I wasn't, its because to me the modern's will be there, the vintage stuff shaves really well and for someone with thick, coarse facial hair who is prone to ingrown hairs, I really like how they shaved! I could go 7 days plus without shaving, use say the Slim or Fatboy and I would get great shaves out of them.

I am just wondering now how easy are they to get? Like I said I'll stay strong but it does have me wondering in a just in case scenario. At the same time I am quite content with my current stuff, so we shall see.
I will keep an eye out. Watch for my feedback, and if Soupy suits you.

I plan on buying the entire world's available stock of Souplex and Big Ben razors. Seriously as I have said they are still affordable, but I think the little beauties were never exported outside Britain and the Empire so they are pretty much unknown in the big wide world.

Of course that means I will be kicked out of the Village, but having a couple of cased Big Ben and Souplex's is worth it.

And the solid handle Paragon version may actually be stainless steel!

Last edited:
I will keep an eye out. Watch for my feedback, and if Soupy suits you.

I plan on buying the entire world's available stock of Souplex and Big Ben razors. Seriously as I have said they are still affordable, but I think the little beauties were never exported outside Britain and the Empire so they are pretty much unknown in the big wide world.

Of course that means I will be kicked out of the Village, but having a couple of cased Big Ben and Souplex's is worth it.

And the solid handle Paragon version may actually be stainless steel!

I will wait your feedback (but I don't need to) the gears are in overdrive and I just overrode them. Let me know if you find any, I will be interested, I think all this stuff is fun and of course it falls in "If your going to buy it you have to be able to shave with it". I will, I saw the blades you were using, Plats I like so yea please let me know especially if you plan on buying it all out, I will be a very interested (meaning a very) certain buyer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom