What's new

Which Stainless steel razor compares favorably to my 3 favorites

My 3 favorite razors are my Gillette New DeLuxe, Gillette New Improved and
Gillette English flat bottom tech. Which newer stainless steel razor would compare
shave wise to these?

I'll play along:

New DeLuxe - Blackland Blackbird
New Improved - Timeless .95
English Flat Bottom Tech - Timeless .68

I'm not saying any of the above three are inspired by the earlier Gillette. The modern razors are simply ones that I think shave comparably to the vintage Gillette. And I use the word "comparably" quite loosely!

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
I think the Ikon OCD is directly copied from the New Deluxe. For FB Tech, Carbon CX.

Not sure if anyone makes a New Improved inspired razor, but I would put my bet with Karve OC (D plate).

Last edited:
For the Tech while I haven't used that one two Razors cone to mind. The Feather AS-D2 and the Masamune. I state that as I found the Tech quite nice, but wanted more, was satisfied with the AS-D2 for several years shaving everyday and then not shaving as often finding the Feather not enough and then finding the Masamune that step up I needed. Even the Nodachi could fit in for days I need even more.

I've used quite a few razors and I don't think I've used anything that compares those Gillette razors. I would imagine that the Ikon NEW De Luxe and Feather AS-DE would be very similar to the NEW De Luxe and Tech, but I'm not really sure if the Karve razors perform like a New Improved. They have a similar design, but I've heard that their angle is very shallow, which is the opposite of the New Improved.

lasta

Blade Biter
I've used quite a few razors and I don't think I've used anything that compares those Gillette razors. I would imagine that the Ikon NEW De Luxe and Feather AS-DE would be very similar to the NEW De Luxe and Tech, but I'm not really sure if the Karve razors perform like a New Improved. They have a similar design, but I've heard that their angle is very shallow, which is the opposite of the New Improved.
The NI is a very accommodating razor, it shaves shallow and steep!:c1:

The NI is a very accommodating razor, it shaves shallow and steep!:c1:

Really? I haven't noticed that. I'm using mine at a steep angle and works great. In fact, I think my early NI is one of my favorite vintage Gillette shavers if not the best one. I've recently bought the late 1928 version, which is slightly different just to see how it shaves. It would take a while before it arrives and I hope it's worth it.

lasta

Blade Biter
Really? I haven't noticed that. I'm using mine at a steep angle and works great. In fact, I think my early NI is one of my favorite vintage Gillette shavers if not the best one. I've recently bought the late 1928 version, which is slightly different just to see how it shaves. It would take a while before it arrives and I hope it's worth it.
Yes, one of my favorites too!

Decent exposure + thin top cap so it can accommodate quite a wide range of angles. I usually use mine shallow/neutral, but I can see riding the teeth working just fine as well.

BTW, why spend more money looking for a clone when you can just get another New Improved? Brass last forever, and the NI's thick teeth can handle a bump better than most OC's.

Yes, one of my favorites too!

Decent exposure + thin top cap so it can accommodate quite a wide range of angles. I usually use mine shallow/neutral, but I can see riding the teeth working just fine as well.

BTW, why spend more money looking for a clone when you can just get another New Improved? Brass last forever, and the NI's thick teeth can handle a bump better than most OC's.

Maybe he's looking for something more refined. I would also be interested if a modern and improved version of the NI exists, but so far the Karve is the only razor that comes closer. I also find it odd that most people find the NI to be very aggressive and uncomfortable. When I bought mine I expected as much and just wanted to have it in my collection for the sake of owning that particular model, but it turned out to be a very good shaver and I couldn't believe it at first.

At the same time, I was able to buy a 15mm NEW De Luxe from a Black and Red set and I had high hopes for it, because people tend to praise the series in general. However, I was quite disappointed with the De Luxe and I'm not sure if it's worth the time or the money for the 17mm version if it would make any difference at all. The shaves I've had with the De Luxe felt tuggy and more like scraping than shaving and after a couple of shaves I just let it stay in my collection for the sake of owning it, but I doubt that I would use it that often if at all.

I have no idea or interest in stainless steel razors.

I have no plans to go diving in a martime enviroment while shaving.

All I can relate to colleagues is my wonder for the English 1930's Souplex OC which is now my favorite razor.

It has the efficiency of an R41 with no unpleasantness, and the joyful nippiness of a FBT while weighing 30 gms.

A sports car in use, and capable of dealing with all growth. An adjustable without actually being one.

Fatip Piccolo, Gillette Old, New SC or LC are no match for this.

Behold
IMG_20230222_202047567.jpg

It will destroy a 7 day growth in 2 passes, and can be used as a gentle daily driver.

Catholic in it's blade tastes, capable of being stood on it's head or very shallow angle-wise, thin head capable of dealing with difficult moustache areas with ease.

Quite simply,

I have found my perfect razor.

More on this tomorrow with a shave report, and DO try to get one if you can.

The Souplex Owners Club - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/souplex-owners-club.636564/ is open!

lasta

Blade Biter

All I can relate to colleagues is my wonder for the English 1930's Souplex OC which is now my favorite razor.

It has the efficiency of an R41 with no unpleasantness, and the joyful nippiness of a FBT while weighing 30 gms.

A sports car in use, and capable of dealing with all growth. An adjustable without actually being one.

Behold
View attachment 1610460

It will destroy a 7 day growth in 2 passes, and can be used as a gentle daily driver.

Catholic in it's blade tastes, capable of being stood on it's head or very shallow angle-wise, thin head capable of dealing with difficult moustache areas with ease.

Quite simply,

The Souplex Owners Club - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/souplex-owners-club.636564/ is open!
Yes, a very classy looking razor. And the idea of owning an Alum Ladd approved perfection is tempting!

But £45 postage for a £12 razor? I can get two mirror polished CNC Melons for that!

Yes, a very classy looking razor. And the idea of owning a Alum Ladd approved perfection is tempting!

But £45 postage for a £12 razor? I can get two mirror polished CNC Melons for that!
Go for it! A sublime shaving instrument.

The epitome of a hidden gem.
IMG_20230222_202205146.jpg

I have tried many razors. I kind of forgot about this little guy. Pulled it out after some months and just wow.

Last edited:
I concur I have the karve and don't care for it so I'm going to try and trade us

Maybe he's looking for something more refined. I would also be interested if a modern and improved version of the NI exists, but so far the Karve is the only razor that comes closer. I also find it odd that most people find the NI to be very aggressive and uncomfortable. When I bought mine I expected as much and just wanted to have it in my collection for the sake of owning that particular model, but it turned out to be a very good shaver and I couldn't believe it at first.

At the same time, I was able to buy a 15mm NEW De Luxe from a Black and Red set and I had high hopes for it, because people tend to praise the series in general. However, I was quite disappointed with the De Luxe and I'm not sure if it's worth the time or the money for the 17mm version if it would make any difference at all. The shaves I've had with the De Luxe felt tuggy and more like scraping than shaving and after a couple of shaves I just let it stay in my collection for the sake of owning it, but I doubt that I would use it that often if at all.
In that regard I have a different experience .I find all 3 of the razors I listed give me the same great shave. The DeLuxe is very hard to find and pricey. The FBT is not as pricey but hard to find so I may try to find another New Improved and see if I can make a trade for my Karve

Behold
View attachment 1610460

Quite simply,

Exactly what is this Suplex? I can't seem to find it on Mr. Razor?

In that regard I have a different experience .I find all 3 of the razors I listed give me the same great shave. The DeLuxe is very hard to find and pricey. The FBT is not as pricey but hard to find so I may try to find another New Improved and see if I can make a trade for my Karve

True. The De Luxe have a reputation for being a bit harder to find, but in general they are not rare, more like uncommon and their prices are indeed sky high. I wouldn't mind adding the 17mm version to my collection, but since I wasn't impressed by the 15mm at all, which most consider to be the superior of the two and given the fact that finding beaten up and caseless De Luxe for less than $100 is not an easy task, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Although I was able to find mine for much less than usual, since the owner didn't know anything about vintage razors and the pictures weren't that great, otherwise someone else would have taken it, so I guess finding one in the wild for next to nothing is still possible, but it requires a lot of digging and all the luck in the world.

Here's a whole thread about the 15mm and 17mm versions.

True. The De Luxe have a reputation for being a bit harder to find, but in general they are not rare, more like uncommon and their prices are indeed sky high. I wouldn't mind adding the 17mm version to my collection, but since I wasn't impressed by the 15mm at all, which most consider to be the superior of the two and given the fact that finding beaten up and caseless De Luxe for less than $100 is not an easy task, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Although I was able to find mine for much less than usual, since the owner didn't know anything about vintage razors and the pictures weren't that great, otherwise someone else would have taken it, so I guess finding one in the wild for next to nothing is still possible, but it requires a lot of digging and all the luck in the world.

Here's a whole thread about the 15mm and 17mm versions.
I found mine a few years ago. The owner didn’t know what it was and was asking $125 for it. I asked if it had the usual hairline crack in the handle and after inspecting it he found it did so he sold out for $65. It is chrome and looks brand new

I found mine a few years ago. The owner didn’t know what it was and was asking $125 for it. I asked if it had the usual hairline crack in the handle and after inspecting it he found it did so he sold out for $65. It is chrome and looks brand new

Yours look really nice and for what you've paid, you've definitely got a better bargain than I did. I've paid around $30 for mine, but the shipping was like $15 or something. Such a shame that I don't like how it shaves.

283808649_3268153426796597_1263921111652693080_n.jpg

1677137966113.jpeg

Top Bottom