What's new

Which Soap Makers Consistently Put Out the Best Scents

Tallying the votes from my wallet (incoming) and postage meter (outgoing) the leaders in my den, currently lol, are:
- Declaration Grooming (the Chatillon Lux collabs), and
- Murphy & McNeil (particularly Kodiak base).

Saponificio Varesino
Captain's Choice
Razorock

These are the ones I have multiple scents of. Even though most of the scents I have purchased from these 3 there is one or two I didn't care for. I have a number of other soap makers but only have purchased one or 2 scents so I only list ones that I have or had more that 4 scents of.

I haven't tried Eufros yet and need to get on that but the artisans that put out the best scents for what I like in my opinion are:
Australian Private Reserve & Barrister and Mann

Stirling does it for me. Straight and easy scents that I can enjoy without having to gamble whether I like the scent notes or not. There are some Stirling scents that's not my thing but I always go for samples first for those.
Agree, Stirling has some wonderful scents, but like you, not all are for me...the samples are a great way of deciding if you like a scent or not.

On the whole, the well-established houses are quite consistent, in this regard, ime.
T&H, GFT, TOBS, DRH, Floris, AdP, SMN, et cetera.

Noble otter, barrister and Mann, declaration grooming, and Ariana & Evans are my top four. Honorable mentions for me to stirling if not for their great scents, then their availability.

There are a lot of good suggestions here including Tallow & Steel, Stirling, Eufros, APR, A&E, Declaration Grooming, Barrister and Mann, Noble Otter, SV. Aside from agreeing with those I would add one darkhorse candidate: Wet Shaving Products--the scents that I have tried from this soapmaker are really top notch including Olympus and Tobacco. I have Old Virginia, another soap from this maker made for Asylum Shaveworks, cued up--off the puck it smells wonderful.

Last edited:
OF Course CBL puts out a lot of good scents and if they dont have the scent you want all you have to do is ask them for it and they usually will try to make it for you.. Great Scents Great Bases and Great Customer Service.....
I have a Bunch of their stuff and i dont have a single scent that is not good.. Roasted Oatmeal Stout is Fantastic !! jeris was a little weak in scent but it was more of an experiment than anything.. anyway ALL their scents are pretty fantastic in my book !!!!

Last edited:
Sapofinicio Varesino. Not many scents, but the scents they have are very nice and discrete. That in combination with a fantastic performance makes them hard to beat in my opinion.
I have never tried that maker though i see a lot of mentions of them. I guess i will need to get some sometime.

I havent found the soaps I have tried to tend to have great scents but the exception to this is ETHOS. I have tried the lavender supreme (lisse) which has the beet scent of any soap I have tried and second place is ETHOS succes soap.

Other that declaration grooming has nice scents in sellout and after the rain that I have tried but they tend to he a mild burning sensation that I do not like.

Ariana and Evan's scents also tend to have the same burning sensation except for under the sea that is unfortunately not nice to me at all and smells like freshly mown grass.

Extro, Panna crema Nuavia and Martin de candre have nice scents amongst the few I have tried.
Frank from ETHOS if a perfumer so he should know scents.

Saponificio Varesino, MdC and Pannacrema Nuavia line.

Everything else smells pretty much poorly done synthetic. I do like some offerings from B&M.

3 pages and no mention of PAA? I have several of their soap/AS sets, and all of them are really good scents, and they last.
I also like the AS splash Plunder by Noble Otter. I will try some of their soap in the future.
Not crazy about the Razorock soaps I have: Mudder Focker and Caribbean Holiday.
Dr. Jon's 8th Dimension is different, but very good.

I have never tried that maker though i see a lot of mentions of them. I guess i will need to get some sometime.

They are definitely worth putting on the bucket list of soaps to try, the performance is on the top of the heap for me. If I had to knock it down to having a soap by just one soap maker I would choose SV and never look back. Felce Aromatica is by far my favorite of the scents I have tried. I didn't care for Dolmiti or Manna De Sicilia scents, they were good but not for me. I also have Cosmo and 70th Anniversary and the latter is another nice scent. I want to more of the scents but having so many other soaps and creams I have been putting off ordering anything more the last year and a half.

Top Bottom