What's new

Which Soap Makers Consistently Put Out the Best Scents

This post/question is interesting to me, because there are a numbers of artisans that have already been mentioned whose soaps and scents I love, but I don’t consider being too creative with new scents and/or don’t really even release new scents hardly at all.
A&E , Tallow + Steel and B&M are up there for me, and Stirling is always good for nice seasonal and LE releases. I haven’t tried any Australian Private Reserve products yet but I know he is touted as having well thought-out new scents and releases. And I think Chatillon Lux has to be listed even if Shawn is ‘just’ lending his fragrances to a soapmaker’s base (as opposed to releasing soaps himself).
I also think that Grooming Dept does a lot of interesting releases, and I respect that Mo constantly tries new scents even if some of them aren’t widely loved and others are fan favorites but might not come back.

I havent found the soaps I have tried to tend to have great scents but the exception to this is ETHOS. I have tried the lavender supreme (lisse) which has the beet scent of any soap I have tried and second place is ETHOS succes soap.

Other that declaration grooming has nice scents in sellout and after the rain that I have tried but they tend to he a mild burning sensation that I do not like.

Ariana and Evan's scents also tend to have the same burning sensation except for under the sea that is unfortunately not nice to me at all and smells like freshly mown grass.

Extro, Panna crema Nuavia and Martin de candre have nice scents amongst the few I have tried.

Coming back from a hiatus, it's amusing how things change. When I left, MamaBear was hot, as well as anything by Taylor of Old Bond Street and Italian soaps like Razorock were always at the top. Now it's Stirling that's all the rage

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Coming back from a hiatus, it's amusing how things change. When I left, MamaBear was hot, as well as anything by Taylor of Old Bond Street and Italian soaps like Razorock were always at the top. Now it's Stirling that's all the rage
If you come back from hiatus just a little more, you’ll discover that there are quite a few (like Stirling) that are raging: B&M, A&E, M&M, DG, GD - to name a few.

If you come back from hiatus just a little more, you’ll discover that there are quite a few (like Stirling) that are raging: B&M, A&E, M&M, DG, GD - to name a few.
Can you give me the unabbraviated names? I'd like to look into them, my pantry is running a bit low these days :)

Stubble Buster. Their scent combinations sound weird (Lemon, Neroli, Pineapple for example), but actually work well together. Also the notes listed are only some of the scents used, most often the top notes.

Burnish lists the above 3 on the container, but top notes of lemon, neroli, pineapple, rosemary, and bergamot; middle notes of cyclamen, coriander, jasmine and oakmoss; and base notes of sandalwood, tonka bean, musk, oakmoss, cedar, brazilian rosewood and cardamom are the description of it from the website.

It is also reasonably priced and performs well.,

Your hiatus must have been pretty long if mama bear was the ish. I ducked out for a short bit (maybe 2-3 years) and the artisan market blew up for everything while i wasnt looking.

In the below options, I am evaluating their original scents and not dupes they may do or have done in the past.

Ariana & Evans
Noble Otter
Australian Private Reserve
Eufros

Your hiatus must have been pretty long if mama bear was the ish. I ducked out for a short bit (maybe 2-3 years) and the artisan market blew up for everything while i wasnt looking.
9 years :lol:

Barrister & Mann, Ariana & Evans, Murphy & McNeil, Declaration Grooming, Grooming Dept, Wholly Kaw, Captain’s Choice, Ethos, Zingari Man ... lots of good choices these days.

Thanks!

In the time that I’ve been here I can only remember seeing one new thread on mama bear soaps. Taylor of Old Bond Street and Razorock both have pretty loyal followings though TOBS seems to be the more popular of the two. And Cella seems to be the king of the Italian soaps

Consistent ... Best.... I don't know of any soap maker that is actually, consistently best in anything when it comes to scents. It's hard to please everyone all the time. That's no insult. There are some makers whose soap bases I love but have not found a scent that I like (not that I claim to have tried enough).

For me, the soap maker I trust the most in 2019 and 2020? Murphy and McNeil. Do they have scents I don't like? Yup. Just not many. They have a better batting average and slugging percentage for my tastes. YMMV.

A lot of different choices as I expected since scent is such a subjective thing. I'm waiting for someone to develop the ability to smell stuff over the internet so we don't have to guess at what scent we'd prefer prior to purchase :biggrin1:

A lot of different choices as I expected since scent is such a subjective thing. I'm waiting for someone to develop the ability to smell stuff over the internet so we don't have to guess at what scent we'd prefer prior to purchase :biggrin1:
I'd be worried about friends pranking me.

Friend: Hey! This smells great! Try it.
<Puts input device in curdled milk with rotten eggs>
:)

Top Bottom