What's new

Which Soap Makers Consistently Put Out the Best Scents

So, this is largely going to be based on opinion since scent is such a subjective trait but I'm still curious to see who everyone's favorites are. Just like the title says, which soap maker(s) do you think consistently put out the best scents?

I'm going to list 3 that come to my mind, one that has a stable lineup that doesn't change, one that occasionally releases new items, and one that frequently has new releases:

1. Nuavia (lineup doesn't change)
2. Saponificio Varesino (occasionally release new scents)
3. Barrister and Mann (frequent new releases)
Honorable Mention: Ariana and Evans

So, who do you think consistently puts out the best scents?

Mystic Water.

Michelle's scents are all really well balanced, good scent strength without being overwhelming. She just really has a good nose and a perfumer's touch.

Most of her scents are relatively simple, but they are masterfully crafted. If you like the scent notes listed on the website, you will like the scent of the soap, which is more than i can say for a lot of the soapers out there, who almost seem to be having a contest to see who can produce the most jumbled scents with the highest number of fragrance notes. That might work for some people, and occasionally might produce a truly great scent, but more often it just makes a confused scent in which the scent notes are competing instead of working in harmony.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Too many to list. I wanted to put down seven...that's too many. I picked a producer I have the most of.

The Goodfellas' Smile (favorite soap scent is Abysso)

...If you like the scent notes listed on the website, you will like the scent of the soap, which is more than i can say for a lot of the soapers out there, who almost seem to be having a contest to see who can produce the most jumbled scents with the highest number of fragrance notes...

I couldn't agree more with this point. Without naming names, there are a couple highly regarded soap makers that do this and I've purchased several of their soaps only to be very disappointed upon receiving them to the point that I don't order their products any longer, even though they do make a good soap for shaving.

I am always suspicious of restaurants that have a hundred options on their menu. They rarely do any of them well. The best ones often have ten options or less but do them well. You know that it’s all going to be fresh and considered.

It’s a similar story for soaps.

Saponificio Varesino
DR Harris
Truefitt & Hill
Acqua di Parma
Tabac
Speick

These guys have have solid scents but they don’t have many options. Still every one should find something that they like in the line up.

Some ‘artisans’ offer many many scents that change all the time along with many many bases. Often they aren’t very good. Why so many choices? They are just throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. Some people will run out and buy each one to see if it’s any good. I’m over that game. If you want scent you are best off going to a perfumer that knows what they are doing or a soap company that employs one.

Last edited:
For me there are two artisans that always deliver when it comes to scents (and performance).

Mystic Waters
Cold River Soap Works

Top Bottom