What's new

Which soap for very sensitive skin?

Everybody's skin is very different. I have some bad reactions too. What i consider very safe and VERY good performers are:

Palmolive stick

Arko

AOS unscented or lavender

Last Saturday I had the worst shave ever because an allergic reaction to P.160 and still I have the signs of it. Instead of throw it away id like to trade it, along some other Italian stuff like Valobra and Figaro, but which one?
I suspect your reaction was due to the benzaldehyde from the sweet almond fragrance; there is nothing else in there which could cause it. As such I'm very hesitant to recommend Cella, which too contains almond fragrance, but a lot less. However if you still have signs of the reaction then I'd suggest to not even take the gamble. Most other almond-fragranced soaps and creams are out for you too, for example Col. Conk Almond, or TOBS Almond cream, but also almost all other soft Italian soaps too.

The problem is that a response to benzaldehyde does not necessarily mean you get a response from other fragrances too. (I speak from personal experience.) You can see that in the recommendations, some of which are very definitely scented. So my advice would be to try a few cheap and fragranced products to test yourself (Speick, Palmolive, La Toja, Arko, J.M. Fraser, ...); and if they too don't work, to move on to genuinely unscented products: Art Of Shaving unscented, Martin de Candre unscented (although that product is hellishly expensive too). Don't assume that because a product claims to be unscented it actually is: T&H's Ultimate Comfort cream contains a noticable wallop of lavender, for example.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as us telling you what will work and what won't: you'll have to experience for yourself. The only thing we can do is point you to completely fragrance-less products, or tell you which other products are out given that your skin acted up. If you continue to get strong reactions from products, you may want to speak to a dermatologist about matters; it could very well be the case that you will need to switch to clear gels in order to shave. Good luck.

Last edited:
Are you in the US? If so PM your address and I'll send you a puck of VDH for sensitive skin. I personally VDH is way better than Williams and its available in US drugstores.

No, I am not in the US, I live in Italy. I would offer a trade when I will can but thank you, you are very kind. Williams is a kind of test, only the real wet shavers can lather it. Laughing apart, I'd to try those stuff "tought for the masses".

Thank you cymric, your answer is very explicative and thank you all again, this is really a great place.

Top Bottom