What's new

Which Slant to buy? Rex Konsul, Razorock SuperSlant, Used Wunderbar or Other?

I'd like to buy 1 slant to rule them all!
What do you all suggest and why?

I currently rotate the Lupo 95 (SB and OC) and the Rex Ambassador.
I also have a Rockwell 6S that I like when I want less blade feel.

I appreciate your input
I'm a fan of my Parker Semi-Slant. And, yes, I have a few others to which to compare it.

Base plates galore. Someone could corner the market with an adjustable slant for us slant fans who don't want to have to swap plates between passes. I'll help test it.
I've never tried a slant before but am curious and an adjustable at a fraction of the price of the Rex Knosul would be amazing.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The Wunderbar is neigh close to perfect. I can't imagine them improving on it. Do they indicate which level is equivalent to that?

I can imagine improvement, every time I nick myself which admittedly is only occasionally. According to the company, close (microscopic) investigation of a helically-torqued blade revealed "micro-waves" in the edge. Evidently, aside from supply-chain hiccups most of the last two years has been spent well down the rabbit hole designing a helical slant that doesn't give micro-waves.

According to Michael, the L3 Superslant is close to the Wunderbar.

I've got one on the way, so I can stack it up against my Wunderbar and see how it goes. I'm really waiting on the OC plates, as there are relatively few OC helical slants.

Y'all can just guess what's the 2023 edition of the Tilted Picnic will feature, can't you? :)

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Someone could corner the market with an adjustable slant for us slant fans who don't want to have to swap plates between passes. I'll help test it.

I assume you mean "...between passes that's less expensive than the Konsul."

I'm not sure what the vintage market is in this respect, but the Walbusch B5 might be less than $350. But it's a tilted slant rather than helical.

I don't have anything against tilted slants, but they are by definition a different shave than a helical slant. Like a helical they can be good or bad; I had one I hated and I have an iKon Shavecraft 102 which is a great heavy thing but an excellent razor.

O.H.

I assume you mean "...between passes that's less expensive than the Konsul."

I'm not sure what the vintage market is in this respect, but the Walbusch B5 might be less than $350. But it's a tilted slant rather than helical.

I don't have anything against tilted slants, but they are by definition a different shave than a helical slant. Like a helical they can be good or bad; I had one I hated and I have an iKon Shavecraft 102 which is a great heavy thing but an excellent razor.

O.H.
Isn't the Konsul a helical slant?

I can imagine improvement, every time I nick myself which admittedly is only occasionally. According to the company, close (microscopic) investigation of a helically-torqued blade revealed "micro-waves" in the edge. Evidently, aside from supply-chain hiccups most of the last two years has been spent well down the rabbit hole designing a helical slant that doesn't give micro-waves.

According to Michael, the L3 Superslant is close to the Wunderbar.

I've got one on the way, so I can stack it up against my Wunderbar and see how it goes. I'm really waiting on the OC plates, as there are relatively few OC helical slants.

Y'all can just guess what's the 2023 edition of the Tilted Picnic will feature, can't you? :)

O.H.
Helically torqued? Micro-waves in the blade edge? Things are getting way too complicated. There are simpler methods to get a good shave:
Rube Goldbert How to Brush Your Teeth.jpg

Simply replace the toothbrushes with blades set at your favorite angle. Voila!

I'm a fan of my Parker Semi-Slant. And, yes, I have a few others to which to compare it.
Like you, I have been amazed by the quality and performance of the Parker Semi-slant. It is well made of solid brass. I like that the head design clamps the blade all the way to the lip of the cap so there is no blade chatter. I have also been pleased with the efficiency and closeness of the shave provided by the razor. That is not bad for a razor that can be purchased for $30.

Parker Semi-slant. It is well made of solid brass

While I have not drilled into mine, I believe it is a very well-made zamak head on a large well-made brass handle.

It is no more "semi" than a Merkur, FOCS, or a Wunderbar. Not sure what Parker means there.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Y'all can just guess what's the 2023 edition of the Tilted Picnic will feature, can't you?

The ATT X1 for all twelve shaves with the only differences being Kai Captain versus Kai Captain Mild and maybe an OH Lather Pit original versus Yardley Almond and Oatmeal?

Did I guess right?

I'd like to buy 1 slant to rule them all!
What do you all suggest and why?

I currently rotate the Lupo 95 (SB and OC) and the Rex Ambassador.
I also have a Rockwell 6S that I like when I want less blade feel.

I appreciate your input :D
Did you ever make a choice?

Top Bottom