What's new

Which Slant should I try?

Well, I been doing this for a few years now and I have a hankerin to try a slant.

I have been considering waiting for a vintage Hoffritz/Merkur to show up or buying a new Merkur Sledgehammer Slant.

What slant would you all recommend?

Well, I been doing this for a few years now and I have a hankerin to try a slant.

I have been considering waiting for a vintage Hoffritz/Merkur to show up or buying a new Merkur Sledgehammer Slant.

What slant would you all recommend?
I have a Sledgehammer Slant 39C, and love it dearly. Paired with a Feather blade, it gives me consistent BBS in 2.5 easy passes no matter what kind of prep and lather I use it with.

The 39C is one of my favorite razors, and it gets put into play for about half of my shaves, more so than all my other active rotation put together. I find it does its best work when it has 3+ days of whiskers to harvest, which for me, is most of the time.

I bought mine off the BST, but I had to wait at least 3 months for one to show up that didn't get snagged by someone else who got to it before I did. The vintage slants are even rarer and harder to score on the forum.

When I finally got mine, I only saved about $10 under the cost of buying one brand new.

IMHO, the wait wasn't worth it. If you want one, spend the few extra dollars and buy one brand new, so you can start enjoying this amazing razor ASAP.

Having variety of vintage and new slants I agree, why wait. I find my 37G to be my favorite anyway. I too find feather blades to be the best pairing with my slant.

Boy are you in for a treat!!!! :thumbup1: Once you go slant, you don't go....(what rhymes with slant?):blink:

Last edited:
I got a Hoffritz on eBay for $28 and it shaves GREAT. But as far as I know it's basically the same thing as a modern Merkur HD slant except plated with silver instead of chrome, so you don't really have to wait to get one at a good price.

37C or 39C.

Personally, the Slant Hammer was a bit much to handle. I felt a Chessman Slant was too light. My 2 cents...

I only own the standard classic Merkur slant. It's one of my favourite razors. I cannot see how the longer handle could improve it. I know that other folks like the longer handle better, but were I making a recommendation, I would say: don't not consider the standard HD handle slant. It's a fabulous razor.

37C or 39C.

Personally, the Slant Hammer was a bit much to handle. I felt a Chessman Slant was too light. My 2 cents...

I own the Chessman slant, and I really like the weight distribution. I get the impression that you find the current slants heavier.
Is there much of a difference Batman? I'm curious because I intend to buy a new slant.
(BTW, your package is on the way to the Batcave).

I felt the standard handle of the current slant has near perfect weight - not too much like I found the 39c, but more so than the Chessman. I get great shaves with my 37C.

Looking forward to the arrival of the Tech.

I own the Chessman slant, and I really like the weight distribution. I get the impression that you find the current slants heavier.
Is there much of a difference Batman? I'm curious because I intend to buy a new slant.

The 37C has a smaller handle which may be more preferable to a longer one if you relatively new to DE shaving. However, since you have a number of years of experience, a 39C will definitely suit the bill nicely. It's my razor of choice.

I have used both a Chessman slant, as well as the HD slant. The HD slant feels a little better to me as far as weight. Can't speak to the Sledgehammer, as I have not used one, but have been eyeing them as well. What I really wish though, is that Edwin Jagger would make a slant head on something like the 89L.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hoffritz are great razor, love them!

Merkur Slant is one of the well made Merkur...

I would get the Hoffritz but if you don't want to wait, Merkur!

I am also in the market for a slant. It seems that everyone gets a better shave with a heavier razor but I seem to get a better shave with a lighter razor. Is that a technique issue. I am about a 6 month veteran of DE shaving and I think my technique is pretty good. Maybe not though. Thanks for the advice

Top Bottom