What's new

Which Simpson's grade hair for face lathering

Hi Guys,

Which Simpson's grade hair(s) are recommended for me?
I am a face latherer.

My favorite brushes are Declaration Grooming B7(26 mm) and B8(26mm) as well as a Semogue Mistura.

On a side note, I like longer handles and larger knots. The Simpson's M7 has caught my eye but I am really undecided on the model of brush.

I am also not opposed to 2 Simpsons eventually should there be more than one that comes recommended.

Thanks!

All of my Simpsons face-lather quite well for me!!
Jubilee Manchurian is a favorite and a bit stiffer!
But even the Wee Scot performs well!

simpson brushes 2019.jpg

I enjoy face lathering with most of my Simpsons. The only one I don't fancy a face lather with is my Duke 3 synthetic. I own a few pure badgers, a best, silvertip, super, a pair of platinum synths and a trafalgar. Sizes are all over the place.

If you're not a fan of scritch you may want to avoid their pure badger grade. If you do like a bit of face feel though, admittedly their pure is my favorite grade. Different strokes.

I have a Manchurian knot set in a vintage Simpsons handle and that does feel luxurious, but I think my Chubby 2 with a Best knot performs better and would be my preferred option for long term face lathering use. Simpsons Best knots do vary a bit but I got lucky with that one.
I also like my Chubby 3 with Sovereign grade fibres, but it does have a very different face feel to most of the other knots I've ever tried. It took a bit of getting used to and a certain adaptation of my usual technique, but it was worth the effort.

If you like a larger knot then i think the CH2 or CH3. The 3 is comically large, but if that's what you like....

My favorite hair grades are Best and two band Silvertip.

Someone that knows Simpson better may chime in, but although the M7 is a tall handle and you may like that style the best, i don't think the knot itself will be as packed with hair as a Chubby2 and certainly not a Chubby3. If you get an M7 in Best hair i think the knot will feel larger and probably closer in size to your 26 mm DG. An M7 in the higher grade hairs like Manchurian and SiLVERTIP will sacrifice some surface area coverage but they will feel softer on the face. If backbone is important and you're Ok with less surface coverage then maybe the M7 in Manchurian is a good choice.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Manchurian, old two-band Super or the silvertip two-band. I find the three band super quite scritchy, and never liked the best grade. I also have a vintage Rover in pure and it is very nice.

Last edited:
I like their Sovereign synthetic and best badger. Both work well for face lathering. I haven’t tried the platinum grade synthetic yet. Still waiting for Deutsche Post DHL to pick up the Chubby 2 I ordered directly from Simpson’s

I appreciate all the responses. I think I will go with an M7 silvertip two-band to start with. I need a longer handle to help with arthritis. I don't want faux though. I guess I have to wait for a "limited" edition to pop up on the website to get a different color?

I appreciate all the responses. I think I will go with an M7 silvertip two-band to start with. I need a longer handle to help with arthritis. I don't want faux though. I guess I have to wait for a "limited" edition to pop up on the website to get a different color?
You can email them and if they have the materials they will make any handle colour you wish. I have ordered 3 that way. I just go through their contact form on their website. It makes for a longer lead time but Anna/Mark are really helpful. I didn't find the prices unreasonable either.

Top Bottom