What's new

Which Side to Peen to Center Blade

My blade is slightly off center. My pin needs to be shortened ever so slightly. Which side should I hammer on?

There is a post in which I think it was @Doc226 annotated which side to hammer to move the blade which way. Does anyone know where this is?

If your blade is say, leaning toward the show side scale, you want to tap on the back side of the opposite side pin. Maybe a little on the front side of the show side pin to balance things out.

You mean like this

alining the blade in scales .jpg

I am not following so I placed my thumb and index finger around the ends of the scales at both above and below the pivot and hinge pins (respectively) and just applied a little pressure to bend the scales.

In my case, the toe of the blade is leaning toward the back side of the wedge, and I can center the blade by doing each of the following:
  1. Simulate tightening the face side of the pivot pin, or
  2. Simulate tightening the face side of the wedge pin
Both flex the face side scale and cause the toe to move toward the face side of the wedge.

That was easy - why didn't I think of that earlier?

A lot depends on why the blade is not centering.
For example, if the blade won't center because the pin is bent, then tapping will probably not help much.
But sometimes it works.
Thing is, it's easy to get carried away; too much tapping might create new issues; bent pin, cracked scale, pivot too tight, etc.
But, sometimes tapping on the side opposite where the blade's toe is closer to the scale will recenter it.
If the blade it touching, I will usually unpin both ends and rework the alignment until it does what I want it to.

If you don’t have slop in the pívot holes and/or wedge holes, they blade wont move. When I’m making scales I always ream out the holes to allow a little movement.

If you don’t have slop in the pívot holes and/or wedge holes, they blade wont move. When I’m making scales I always ream out the holes to allow a little movement.

I have been drilling my holes at 5/64 so the pin is not tight and can slide within the hole.

Top Bottom