What's new

Which side goes out?

Hey guys, I’m not sure which side I like best, and will make the outside of the scales. The side with white to it has a little more complexity, and cool swirls, but I feel like the blonde is richer and more honey colored on the two tone side, as well as the black being a little richer. Which do you guys like best???
5C980ACC-FC58-4496-85ED-5EB210846FC5.jpeg
D9965393-37CC-48C1-A4FF-966113C64B15.jpeg

Keep if to your preferred aesthetic.

Always, always, always keep any slight bows on the horn on the inside.

That slab looks big enough to have the scales matched, light part towards the toe or wedge-just the same on show and non show side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes it is, definitely bookending them! I'm going to put the black to the toe end and the blonde to the tang end. its amazingly flat, and after looking at it again this morning, using the side without white for sure!

Sounds like you have a plan. If I were in your shoes, I would try to lay the whole thing out on a table and do something like overlay a mask made from darker paper over the scales with the blade to try to visualize the final product. There might be a way to do this on a computer too.

That said, I do like the contrast that a tad of white streaking can add but it's your razor - go with what brings you joy!

@Doc226 - Are you saying any bowing should be oriented so it bows inward, toward the blade? And would you be willing to give the reason for that? - Thanks
Yes, when you look at blades with scales, the wedge and tang make a natural curve that pushes outward from the spine. If you orient the natural curve of the horn that way it will work better. If you place the bow inwards you are fighting what the wedge and tang want to do.

Hard to explain

When looking from above if the razor is on a table the bow of the horn should be outward.

The wedge and tang tend to bow the scales out.

If you place the bow inwards you are fighting the natural curve.

Hard to explain.

Will put a picture up later

Hard to explain

If you place the bow inwards you are fighting the natural curve.

Will put a picture up later

Ah, I get you now. So an outwards bow should go on the outside.
I will remember this by saying, So if there's a bow then go with the flow.

I have to do up a set of scales shortly for a blade I got without any scales.
Looks like I'll be going with ebony but I already have them dead flat.

Top Bottom