What's new

Which should I buy ?

HH tends to be slicker than Latigo. Can't comment on Bridle. I'm sure others with experience can describe where it fits in.

If you like walking on hardwood floors, go HH... if you like walking on shag carpet, go Latigo.

Good quality cowhide, middle of the road speed. Once you have experience you can make more informed choice$$$. I prefer barbers end, but agree on hardware for your first stop, mine was too.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Whichever one you think you might want. You don't have preferences yet. If you are just starting, go with ordinary cow or steer hide, veg tanned, decent hardware, something under $50 because you will probably butcher your first strop while you learn to use it.
"butcher your first strop"? I butchered my first 2½ strops, but then I'm a slow learner.

Still on number 3 with only a few nicks in it. I might send @Tony Miller an order sometime next year.

Rbsecu, part of that may be the strops you're using. IMHO shorter strops with hardware on both ends are more likely to get nicked.

My favorite of the three is horsehide. But it tends to be more expensive. As said above, choose a cheap strop in starting out as you'll probably nick or cut it.

"butcher your first strop"? I butchered my first 2½ strops, but then I'm a slow learner.

Still on number 3 with only a few nicks in it. I might send @Tony Miller an order sometime next year.

When I started out, I was holding the shank from top to bottom during the pass and doing a kind of pencil-roll spin with my fingers during the flip, as shown in many videos. As a result, I would sometimes wind up with unexplained nicks. Later, after an e-mail exchange with an old-hand at straight-razor shaving, I was convinced to adopt another approach, one that involved gripping the shank more from side to side with a slight turn of the wrist during the slip. This meant that I, not the leather, was in charge, and from that point on, it has been very, very rare for me to nick a strop.

I got tired of waiting to nick my first practice strop and ordered another. 10 months of daily use and no nicks. I must be a faster learner than @rbscebu.

Horsehide and in particular Shell Cordovan is the traditional choice for razor strops. I assume this material was popular for a reason.

Top Bottom