What's new

which shaving soap brands use coconut oil?

this giurl im getting with is apparently allergic to coconut really badly. im curious what to do. should i throw away all my soaps that have them? wash my face after using it or what? throw away all those that have it? could you list some brands that use it. thank you

Coconut allergy is rare. Usually, it's a food allergy. If it's contact dermatitis type of allergy, that makes things more difficult. I'm guessing at least 75% of soaps and shampoos have coconut-derived ingredients.

Usually, allergies are only triggered when a particular threshold is reached. So, trace amounts on your skin may not cause any problems. If you want to eliminate coconut, consider using a simple, olive oil soap like Castille soap or Savon de Marseille.

Reactions: Kix
If you want to eliminate coconut, consider using a simple, olive oil soap like Castille soap or Savon de Marseille.
Right answer- and my favorite soaps. ;)

Even then, check the ingredients. Too many soapers now think a Castile soap just means veggie based. Dr. Bronner's and Kirk's are two of the big mainstream culprits. I'm not sensitive to coconut oil, and Dr. Bronner's is a great soap for just about everything, but something in Kirk's drives me nuts. It's harsh and super drying.

Even the Savon soaps need to be looked at. Most of the traditional companies make a few other soaps to go along with the olive ones. I guess Palm would be the main ingredient, but maybe coconut, too. The key there, if you're too pressed for time to read the label, is to look at the color. If it's not a dark green, it's made with something else.

Many shaving soaps do include coconut oil, coconut milk, or other compounds derived from coconut oil such as Cocoyl Isethionate. Coconut Acid, and sodium cocoate.

Grooming Dept makes a couple of soap formulations that do not list coconut derived ingredients on the label. They would be Kairos SE and DonkeyBase. However, some other formulations such as Mallard and Kairos do contain coconut milk.

Be sure to read the ingredient listing befor purchasing. Then apply a small amount of lather to the inside of your elbow to check for any reaction before applying it to your face.

this giurl im getting with is apparently allergic to coconut really badly. im curious what to do. should i throw away all my soaps that have them? wash my face after using it or what? throw away all those that have it? could you list some brands that use it. thank you

i'm not an allergist, but highly doubt your girlfriend would have reaction to your shave soap, assuming you rinse all the lather off your face after shaving.

it would make for an interesting experiment, however!!

good luck!!

Reactions: nav
Top Bottom