What's new

Which shavette do you recommend?

I decided to minimize maintenance and use a shavette instead of a straight razor.

There are 10~20 USD ones that have 4.5 stars on amazon. There is also feather shavette which costs 68 USD.

I'm quite confused with regard to which one to buy.

Ideally, I want a shavette that is well built, lasts long, and accommodates cheap blades. Half double-edge razor blades might be cheap because I can just break a double-edge razor blade in half.

Parker, IMO.

Good value for your money. I got their stainless model because I wanted to try my hand, and didn't want to use a straight razor that I'd have to spend thousands of hours of going down that rabbit hole lol.

Highly recommended with a sharp blade such as Feather or Kai.

Parker, Feather, Timeless, Dovo, Boker and many others al make great shavette. Some use DE blades, other specific vendor blade both short and long. Its down price and preference. I use a Dovo in Olivewood scales. Price and wood was my requirements and it takes long and DE blades.

Sharp blades will cut well hydrated hairs effortlessly the rest is just a means to comfortably hold the blade.

CA09C3C6-417C-416C-AD95-687D91392E92.jpeg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Takes a half DE blade. This is the type with the pivoting back that holds the two sides together. A very good system. Holds blade firmly. Seems to be all stainless, FWIW. Cheap as dirt.

This is the slide-in type. The core slides out and you insert your half DE blade such that the internal lugs secure the blade by the notches in the slot, and then you slide the whole works back in. Even cheaper. This is actually the type I use, just because it is cheap. The pivoting lockback type is actually more secure, TBH but look at the price.

BTW the above vendor is the cheapest source for Gold Dollar 66 razors, currently. He has a volume discount and sometimes he will negotiate a further discount. I have bought a LOT of razors from this guy.

Finally we get into the premium category. This type uses the long blades similar to the Weck and Personna longs. Shaves a little more like a straight razor. I don't like them because the blades cost more.

My favorite DE blade for shavette or DE razor use. VERY sharp. Not too expensive if you buy 100 or more. Astra, Derby, etc are what you want if you want cheaper. Always keep your shave angle dead low with these blades and stretch your skin hard. They will CUT you if you are sloppy.

I suggest that you buy two shavettes so that when you snap a blade in two, you have a place to put both halves. Go on, you can afford it.

Takes a half DE blade. This is the type with the pivoting back that holds the two sides together. A very good system. Holds blade firmly. Seems to be all stainless, FWIW. Cheap as dirt.

This is the slide-in type. The core slides out and you insert your half DE blade such that the internal lugs secure the blade by the notches in the slot, and then you slide the whole works back in. Even cheaper. This is actually the type I use, just because it is cheap. The pivoting lockback type is actually more secure, TBH but look at the price.

BTW the above vendor is the cheapest source for Gold Dollar 66 razors, currently. He has a volume discount and sometimes he will negotiate a further discount. I have bought a LOT of razors from this guy.

Finally we get into the premium category. This type uses the long blades similar to the Weck and Personna longs. Shaves a little more like a straight razor. I don't like them because the blades cost more.

My favorite DE blade for shavette or DE razor use. VERY sharp. Not too expensive if you buy 100 or more. Astra, Derby, etc are what you want if you want cheaper. Always keep your shave angle dead low with these blades and stretch your skin hard. They will CUT you if you are sloppy.

I suggest that you buy two shavettes so that when you snap a blade in two, you have a place to put both halves. Go on, you can afford it.

Have you tried any of those razors that you linked?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have one of the first type from the exact same seller. Not bad. I also have a couple or the second type, bought from Sallys. The third type I have bought under other brands, and is pretty much just a clone of the Weck hair shaper. So personally vouching only for the first one. And gosh, I would hate for you to spend as much as a whole $3.75 on a razor that could possibly turn out to be not all that great. LOL the price is right, you must admit. The long blade one, (the third link) I have used that type both with the Weck brand and the knockoff from Sallys. The guard is removable, BTW. You can shave just fine without it.

If I had to pick just one of the three to recommend, it would be the first one. Only a buck more than the second one, and holds the blade more securely. The Weck style blades cost a lot more than DE blades and you only have one edge. Each DE blade makes two shavette blades.

My 5c advice: stay away from the cheap SS Amazon devices....I have one and it's horrible : difficult to load and you cannot close the blade into the handle as they do NOT align.
Parker seems OK!! I like em and that is as far as I go w these

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
@Slash McCoy The shavettes you recommended are too cheap to be good. I was considering

I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption. The first one is definitely okay. What do you mean by good? What do you expect it to do, and how well do you expect it to do it? By all means, spend more if you like, but I can't find anything wrong with the cheapie I have. It shaves. It shaves pretty good. It shaves without cutting me to bits as long as I do my part. I don't care what it looks like. And so, there is nothing left to consider but price, and the cheap one is cheaper than the expensive ones.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My 5c advice: stay away from the cheap SS Amazon devices....I have one and it's horrible : difficult to load and you cannot close the blade into the handle as they do NOT align.
Parker seems OK!! I like em and that is as far as I go w these

Mine closes okay. It loads just fine. Parker is good too, but costs what... 10x as much? Of course there are some out there that are pretty bad. You pays yer $2.30 and ya takes yer chances.

I use the Focus R21 shavette from TSS...it takes half a DE blade.
Great system to secure the blade and was around $15 bucks.
Unbeatable for value. Made in Italy.

Since

is so cheap. I will probably order one. What about this one?

Last edited:
The r21 is available @ the superior shave with free shipping in the US. I have both the dovo and r21. The r21 I found the blade wide (spine to edge), and a bit chunky. The dovo is narrower and thinner easier to maneuver, better built. I find myself reaching for the dovo whenever I use a shavette.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Since

is so cheap. I will probably order one. What about this one?

I believe it is the same item, just rebranded and shipped from a US shipper so assuming you are a US buyer, you will get it in a couple of days instead of a couple of weeks. If you are in a hurry to try it, spend the extra couple of bucks and get it quicker. If you want it the cheapest, use the ebay link to the Chinese seller.

A lot of simple items like this are made by a single factory or two in China, in massive amounts, and then rebranded or not, and wholesaled to a bunch of resellers, often on alibaba. Negotiate a good price for a whole pallet of them and walah. You are a vendor. Want your own brand on them? No prob, send your graphics, minimum order probably about 10k pieces. Negotiable. That's why you often see items excruciatingly identical from one seller to the next, even when there is no brand piracy intent. They look the same because they are the same from the same factory and same tooling.High volume arbitrage is a big thing because a lot of potential buyers don't mind a 100% or more markup on a $2 item when they get it in two days instead of a month. Get set up with Amazon order fulfillment and have your item shipped straight to the center, and you never even touch the product, just collect your few cents per each of a thousand pieces or more.

@Slash McCoy So, they are the same product. Some amazon customers complained about receiving used products. Some customers also complained that the blade moved in the shavette while shaving.
I might choose a safer physical design.

Last edited:
I have both the dovo and r21. The r21 I found the blade wide (spine to edge), and a bit chunky. The dovo is narrower and thinner easier to maneuver, better built. I find myself reaching for the dovo whenever I use a shavette.
Which dovo shavette do you mean?

Top Bottom