What's new

Which Shavemac to get??

Hello Everyone

I'm looking to "ask for" a new Shavemac for my upcoming b-day and have no idea which one to get. I'm currently using a cheap Tweezerman as I'm new to DE shaving. It's done well up to this point, but I keep hearing a good brush is much nicer. I have sensitive skin and the cheap brush tends to irritate if I lather too much on my face. I'm leaning towards a Silvertip or DO1 (possibly finest). Is there a huge difference??

I currently lather in a bowl with a mixture of C&E Sandalwood soap and Proraso cream. I'm thinking of a 23 mm knot. Any ideas? For those of you with multiple Shavemac brushes, which is your favorite day to day brush. Thanks!

I really like Finest, but I also have a D01 brush. Finest is actually a grade of silvertip. I'm sure you'll agree if that's what you go with, and I prefer it, just barely, to my D01 brush because I feel it releases lather more easily. Finest is really quite soft, and it's not scratchy or prickly in the least. It's, imo, the best value out there. I recommend a 45mm to 50mm loft, no matter what hair grade you go with, and I think a 21mm diameter knot is a great size. That said, 19mm to 21mm knots are what I prefer.

Welcome to B&B!

-Andy

I currently lather in a bowl with a mixture of C&E Sandalwood soap and Proraso cream.

Well, I can't help you with the brush but you may want to ask for some nicer soap for your B'day :biggrin1:

(MWF, DR Harris, CADE, Speick stick etc etc)

I really like Finest, but I also have a D01 brush. Finest is actually a grade of silvertip. I'm sure you'll agree if that's what you go with, and I prefer it, just barely, to my D01 brush because I feel it releases lather more easily. Finest is really quite soft, and it's not scratchy or prickly in the least. It's, imo, the best value out there. I recommend a 45mm to 50mm loft, no matter what hair grade you go with, and I think a 21mm diameter knot is a great size. That said, 19mm to 21mm knots are what I prefer.

Welcome to B&B!

-Andy

Thanks for the advice. As I look around for Shavemac brushes it seems the standard lofts are all between 50-60. On the "Make your Own" section of Shavemac it doesn't have an option for loft size. Do these specifics need to be emailed separate?

Thanks for the advice. As I look around for Shavemac brushes it seems the standard lofts are all between 50-60. On the "Make your Own" section of Shavemac it doesn't have an option for loft size. Do these specifics need to be emailed separate?

You can email Bernd (owner of Shavemac) using the "contact us" link on their website, and tell them exactly what you're looking for. When you email him, you will need to tell him the handle style you want, the handle color, the badger hair grade, the knot size, and loft. I found the easiest thing to do was pick my handle and color on the site, http://www.shavemac.com/shop/selfmade.php, email him the photo of the handle I picked, and then state the hair grade, knot size, and loft that I wanted. Bernd will then email you an order link specific to your custom brush.

Last edited:
+1 to Andy. Pick your favorite handle, email Bernd at Shavemac, and tell him you'd like it in Finest with a custom loft of 45mm.

Thanks for everyone's help. I decided to go with a D01. I thought long and hard about the finest, but I really want to try the D01. Something about the hair intrigues me. I went with 22/52. I can't wait to get it!

Top Bottom