What's new

Which SE razor?

Everyone has an opinion on this and I can understand why. One of the first razors I bought was a Twig. It seemed ridiculous to spend $60 on a razor but the reviews were almost universally good. I found out that's for good reason as the Twig is an excellent shaver. Very nimble and the angle of the head makes it dead simple to use. I have so many competing choices of razors now that I don't use it as much as I should but am impressed every time I do.

Regarding SE razors, as much as I like the Twig, I don't consider a half DE razor a true SE for most of the reasons brought up by others, in particular the lack of a stiff blade. Injectors, GEM, and Artist Club razors all count as SEs as do many vintage razors with proprietary blades. It seems like a technicality but if you start using the SEs I've mentioned you'll understand exactly what we mean.

Everyone has an opinion on this and I can understand why. One of the first razors I bought was a Twig. It seemed ridiculous to spend $60 on a razor but the reviews were almost universally good. I found out that's for good reason as the Twig is an excellent shaver. Very nimble and the angle of the head makes it dead simple to use. I have so many competing choices of razors now that I don't use it as much as I should but am impressed every time I do.

Regarding SE razors, as much as I like the Twig, I don't consider a half DE razor a true SE for most of the reasons brought up by others, in particular the lack of a stiff blade. Injectors, GEM, and Artist Club razors all count as SEs as do many vintage razors with proprietary blades. It seems like a technicality but if you start using the SEs I've mentioned you'll understand exactly what we mean.
I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the quality of the shave with the Twig. I think I will also be pleased with the shave.

On the other hand, I am not a purist. And I am not really concerned with what is or isn't a true SE blade. What I am concerned about is a quality shave at a price point more attractive than cartridge razors while I get a better handle on SR shaving. And even then, it seems that many SR shavers use some sort of safety razor as their daily shaver and reserve SR use for when they are less rushed and have more time, like the weekend.

I am sure as I continue down this road, I will try different razors and continue to expand my horizons. But for right now, I just want a good shave.

As a general principle (lack of torquing/clamping) I agree. But have you tried the Twig?

I have read very few less than positive reviews of it (most being very positive). I'm convinced those users failed to hit the provided angle, and got a less than ideal shave.

As I wrote in another post: I honestly can't see anyone having a bad shave with the Twig; it might not be your favorite razor for whatever reason, but that's completely different from having a downright bad shave with it.
I have not. It's not easy to get at reasonable rates where I live. Customs & other costs mark up prices about 300% sometimes, so it's not practical.

I have taken a very close look at the pictures, & concluded that it doesn't provide good blade support at the bottom end of the blade, & without the curvature that DE razors give a blade, it looks to me like the blade would chatter or vibrate.

Top Bottom