What's new

Which Scotch to try next?

My collection is growing and my palette is becoming more refined. Some purchases have really hit it out of the park for me, and others were a huge disappointment. So, here's what I've tried and how much I liked it. Can you guys suggest what I should look into next?

My ratings are based on my personal experiences thus far, and only compared to everything else in the list. Just because I give something a 5/10 doesn't mean I thought it was bad, I just personally didn't care for it.

Glenlivet 12yr - bland, but not bad - 6/10
Highland Park 12yr - nicely balanced and far from boring - 7/10
JW Red - mixer only, terrible neat - 3/10
JW Black - a bit smokey, but nothing special - 5/10
JW Double Black - very smokey, fun to drink, and even fun to mix - 6/10
Balvenie 12yr Double Wood - bland, stings a bit, and over-hyped in my opinion - 6/10
Glenmorangie 12yr (or is it 10?) - bland, fairly disappointing - 6/10
Macallan 12yr Sherry - I LOVE this stuff; wonderful sherry taste and sweet nose - 9/10
Aberlour 12yr Double Cask - nice, but not as good as The Macallan - 7/10
Talisker 10yr - trades blows with The Macallan for my current favorite; salty, smokey, and just all-around enjoyable - 9/10
Lagavulin 16yr - smokey, heavy, and very interesting, but sometimes it's just too much - 8/10

So my current favorites are The Macallan 12yr Sherry and Talisker 10yr. I seem to like sherry bombs and smokiness without too much wet dirt taste. The only Islay I've tried so far is Lagavulin 16yr, so I don't know how I'd like Laphroig or the like.

In your opinion, what should I try next?

Last edited:
Aberlour A'bunahd for a quality sherry bomb
Bunnahanbhain for a lighter Islay
Springbank for a balanced dram

Edit

Glenlivet Nadurra 16 for a crackin Speysider

Even though you weren't impressed with the Doublewood, give Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 year a try. One of my all time favorites.

Has to be Bruichladdich, anything 12yr or more if great, the younger ones are still fine though. If you want peat smokiness, try the Octomore or Port Charlotte.

Has to be Bruichladdich, anything 12yr or more if great, the younger ones are still fine though. If you want peat smokiness, try the Octomore or Port Charlotte.

Solid recommendations. But let's test the waters with some cheaper drams. If Lagavulin was iffy, I wouldn't recommend dropping $150+ on Octomore.

Try Edradour, if you can find it. It's from the smallest distillery in Scotland. Fairly reasonably priced, too.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So my current favorites are The Macallan 12yr Sherry and Talisker 10yr. I seem to like sherry bombs and smokiness without too much wet dirt taste. The only Islay I've tried so far is Lagavulin 16yr, so I don't know how I'd like Laphroig or the like.

In your opinion, what should I try next?

You have interesting tastes. Not quite "all over the map" but ... guys who really like Talisker tend to really like Lagavulin too. For an Islay I'd suggest you try something from Bowmore ... not your typical Islay, and not my personal fave, but ... and interesting experiment for a Talisker fan.

I'd also say try the Glenlivet 15 "French Oak" ... not that Glenlivet is really high-end, but this one has a nice element that the 12 does not.

Try Glenfarclas 15, for a scotch that really reminds me of rum.

And try Te Bheag ... no, not "tea bag", pronounced "chay vek" ... for a really interesting blended scotch worthy of sipping neat.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Aberlour A'bunahd for a quality sherry bomb
Bunnahanbhain for a lighter Islay
Springbank for a balanced dram

Edit

Glenlivet Nadurra 16 for a crackin Speysider

+1 on A'bunadh if you want another sherry bomb. I also like the Balvenie single barrel sherry cask, but that is almost twice the price of the Aberlour in my town.

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is nice. It's port barrel aged so you will get some fruit notes although it is different from the sherry character. Glenmorangie Lasanta is sherry barrel aged and also good. It may be a touch cheaper than Macallan 12. I'm not at all a fan of Glenmorangie Original but these variants are solid.

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is nice. It's port barrel aged so you will get some fruit notes although it is different from the sherry character. Glenmorangie Lasanta is sherry barrel aged and also good. It may be a touch cheaper than Macallan 12. I'm not at all a fan of Glenmorangie Original but these variants are solid.

My first thought as well. Genmorangie Lasanta is a nice dram. I preferred their Quinta Ruban.

If you thought the Lagavulin could be a bit too much, I suggest staying away from Laphroig or Ardbeg for now.

Jura is a lovely wee dram if you have a palate for a touch of peat in your whiskey......These are not too peaty and are really smooth and cooling.....:w00t:

Billy
From Republic of Scotland

Another vote for Aberlour A'bunahd, it's a staple in my cabinet.

if you can get it the new "young" Benromach is a fantastic drop, but then I have laphroig, Old Pultney, auchentoshan.......it's hard to choose!!

I love the fact that there is a dram for every whim!

Top Bottom