What's new

Which razors inspired Razorock Razors?

I tried searching on B&B for this and didn't find anything.
Razorock lists some hints in some of the razor descriptions but not all.
Some are obvious like the German slant but most are not.
One thing to note is that I don't use the word "clone" for these because I really believe they're not.
Razorock has made many changes that wouldn't classify any as a copy of other razors.
Does anyone have a definitive list of what razors they used as the basis for each model?
I would love to know all of them including the single blade ones!
LRod

I’ll get the easy one out of the way.

The SLOC was inspired by the Grand Shave King. The same for the PAA DOC.

1EDBEF03-02BB-4907-8A09-0D5BC579BA4F.jpeg

Lupo & Gamechanger -> Wolfman
MJ-90 -> DE89/R89
Mission -> DE89/R89
Old Type -> Gillette Old Type
German 37 -> Merkur 37c
Mentor -> not based on anything I believe, but a random DE Head from India or China
Switch -> Razorine
SLOC -> Grand Shave King (as mentioned above)
DE1 -> Gillette Tech
Teck II -> Gillette Tech
Quick Change -> Gillette Butterfly Head

I believe all the other Designs (Mamba, BBS, Hawks) are original.

Lupo & Gamechanger -> Wolfman
MJ-90 -> DE89/R89
Mission -> DE89/R89
Old Type -> Gillette Old Type
German 37 -> Merkur 37c
Mentor -> not based on anything I believe, but a random DE Head from India or China
Switch -> Razorine
SLOC -> Grand Shave King (as mentioned above)
DE1 -> Gillette Tech
Teck II -> Gillette Tech
Quick Change -> Gillette Butterfly Head

I believe all the other Designs (Mamba, BBS, Hawks) are original.
That's a great list!
I did some research on the BBS and Mamba. It seems like the BBS is an evolved version of the Mamba. And the Mamba/BBS both seem to be inspired by the Merkur 45. As for the SE Hawk's, those truly seem like original designs. Other SE's that exist like the Leaf Twig, Leaf Thorn, One Blade, Supply Single edge SE etc., are nothing like the Hawk's.

BBS:

bbs.jpg

Merkur 45 (credit given to BM Vintage Shaving for the picture):

45.jpg

The ones that come to mind are:
Razors.
Game changer - Wolfman Guerilla
Lupo - Wildman WR-1

Handle.
UFO handle is very similar to PAA bomb tip and I think PAA was first?

I know many here use & like the Razorock razors. But because of the copying of others' work to make their own product, I choose not to support that.

True. But the same could be said for 95% of brush makers and 98% of cologne and edt. :wink2:
And 95% of other razor makers too since most razors are some copy of a copy of a copy of a copy etc..
Very few (new) original designs!
Most of the modern DE's have been creations inspired from old DE's.
If I'm buying a low to mid priced razor, I'm buying from Razorock.
At least you're buying something (quality) made in North America from a Canadian business and not a copy that's
Made in China!

I respect that as well. With my IT background it makes me think of the first clones of the IBM PC. Compaq was the first to reverse-engineer IBM's proprietary BIOS and some complained that this was a kind of theft of intellectual property (even though no IBM code was used). Still not sure how I feel about that, although it was legal and some would say the market benefited.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Most of the razors on the market are really not original ideas.
A period of time before James founded wolfman, he was commissioned by "LA SHAVING" to customize "BBS-1" in his workshop; everything started from "LA SHAVING" gave James a set of shaving tools.
The photo below is the "inspiration for the BBS-1 > process trial version > final version" ; it is interesting to see the inspiration source on the far left, which is the most common BAILI131 three-piece (Tech clone) on amazon.
nclQ8Ze.png

All the water comes from the source, so I still love these razors that I own.
It doesn't limit my purchases.
But it also led me to actually start collecting more original razors such as TRAVALONG/ BIGELOW&PARKIN/ TATARA MURAMASA...etc Weird looking razors. :c9:

How close is the Razorock Old Type to a vintage Gillette Old Type? I bought the Razorock and wondered how close it is to a Gillette vintage in mint condition?

That's a great list!
I did some research on the BBS and Mamba. It seems like the BBS is an evolved version of the Mamba. And the Mamba/BBS both seem to be inspired by the Merkur 45. As for the SE Hawk's, those truly seem like original designs. Other SE's that exist like the Leaf Twig, Leaf Thorn, One Blade, Supply Single edge SE etc., are nothing like the Hawk's.

BBS:

View attachment 1455982

Merkur 45 (credit given to BM Vintage Shaving for the picture):

View attachment 1455983
I am afraid you got it wrong. That razor on the photo is not Merkur 45, It is 34C. Completely different one. Head geometry and materials. 45 is Bakelite.

I am afraid you got it wrong. That razor on the photo is not Merkur 45, It is 34C. Completely different one. Head geometry and materials. 45 is Bakelite.
Yep, you are correct. It was supposed to be a bakelite and I ended up uploading that picture. Apparently my wires got crossed, Lol!
Thanks

Hmmm...I bought three RR razors and an assortment of handles including the Bulldog, HD, UFO, and Haloed UFO. They are well made and shave great.

i had no idea that the razors were considered clones of other razors, and still consider them to be a great value - solid stainless steel razors for around 60 bucks. No regrets and I'd buy 'em again.

Hmmm...I bought three RR razors and an assortment of handles including the Bulldog, HD, UFO, and Haloed UFO. They are well made and shave great.

i had no idea that the razors were considered clones of other razors, and still consider them to be a great value - solid stainless steel razors for around 60 bucks. No regrets and I'd buy 'em again.

I think the term "influenced by" rather than "clone" would be a better description. And I agree, Razorock razors are the best value out there.

Top Bottom