What's new

Which Razors Do You Hate?!

Hate is a strong word, but razors I didn't like are:
- King Oscillating Razor. I got this as a gift--it came in a box with a couple of blades, so I tried it. Most PAINFUL shave I ever had. I kept it, because I collect razors and it's pretty unique, but I will never use it again!
- EJ DE89--highly recommended to newbies, but I've never enjoyed it. I can comfortably shave with almost anything, but I still get irritation when I pull that one out. I only keep it because it's the razor that started me in this great hobby!
- Probably not what was expected with the question, but back when I was trying to find a reasonably priced cartridge I bought an Old Spice cartridge handle and pack of blades. That thing was horrible--but I struggled through a couple of packs of blades hoping it would get better. It was obvious to me why that thing disappeared from the shelves after just a few months.

Hate is a strong word, but razors I didn't like are:
- King Oscillating Razor. I got this as a gift--it came in a box with a couple of blades, so I tried it. Most PAINFUL shave I ever had. I kept it, because I collect razors and it's pretty unique, but I will never use it again!
- EJ DE89--highly recommended to newbies, but I've never enjoyed it. I can comfortably shave with almost anything, but I still get irritation when I pull that one out. I only keep it because it's the razor that started me in this great hobby!
- Probably not what was expected with the question, but back when I was trying to find a reasonably priced cartridge I bought an Old Spice cartridge handle and pack of blades. That thing was horrible--but I struggled through a couple of packs of blades hoping it would get better. It was obvious to me why that thing disappeared from the shelves after just a few months.
Thanks for sharing your sad but deeply instructive tale. I am humbled.

Enough of the YMMV nonsense. Your opinion is just as valid as anybody else's; not need to qualify it.
Best post I've read in a long time.

The razors I hate are the ones that I want to try but can't afford: Merkur Vision, Cobra, ATT, etc. They probably give terrible shaves, anyway.
download (1).jpg

Some razors are just awful!

Which are in your murderers' row? I'm not going to include 99 cent razors form China! Here is my number one the Parker 99R Open Comb Butterfly. I find it aggressive yet inefficient; the worst combination of features. It's blade fussy and every blade I load it with produces a very uncomfortable and very inefficient shave. I dropped it from my rotation.

What razors do you hate and why?
Here's another Razor Horribilis. The Pearl SBF-15 TTO. Whatever blade I loaded in this beast made no difference. Harsh, inefficient, uncomfortable. I can find no redeeming qualities in this razor. Well...it looks quite pretty in a clunky sort of way I suppose.

I am interested to hear your reasoning, please.
This was my first DE razor, and after acquiring various other tools (including SEs), it still has a spot in my rotation.

I gotta ask why? To each his own but just about any blade gives you a great irritation free shave whether your new or old.

I learned DE shaving with R41. This is a path I do not recommend beginners to take as R41 is very aggressive, but still what I did. Later when I bought DE89/R89 I noticed I got far less irritation from R41 than what I got from DE89/R89. If I would have begun my shaving journey with DE89/R89 it would have been a very short one. As a matter of facts, even though I had skills to shave with even R41, I never got one single good shave from DE89/R89.

There are so many better design among the mild razors: All the way from the cheap Tech and SuperSpeed and their clones (RiMei, Weishi) up to high end razors, all depending on how much money you want to spend.

I also hate 3 blade razors. Like the Mach 3. I can do single blades, twin blades, and even the crazy 4 and 5 blades. But 3 blade razors tug like crazy for some reason.

I learned DE shaving with R41. This is a path I do not recommend beginners to take as R41 is very aggressive, but still what I did. Later when I bought DE89/R89 I noticed I got far less irritation from R41 than what I got from DE89/R89. If I would have begun my shaving journey with DE89/R89 it would have been a very short one. As a matter of facts, even though I had skills to shave with even R41, I never got one single good shave from DE89/R89.

There are so many better design among the mild razors: All the way from the cheap Tech and SuperSpeed and their clones (RiMei, Weishi) up to high end razors, all depending on how much money you want to spend.
I agree DE89/R89 are overrated. There are better mild razors. The RR German 37 is smoother, easier to use, and way more efficient. It's a slant, and that intimidates some people, but it's easy to use. The PAA DOC is a very mild razor and efficient if beginners want mild. The RR Baby Smooth, the Merkur Bakelite, and there are others too...

Parker 99R/96R - Aggressive and ineffective at all.
Merkur 34C - too mild I do not feel the blade at all! EJ DE89LBL more aggressive and shaves much better !
Gillette Super Speed Red Tip - exactly the same as Merkur 34C too mild I do not feel the blade at all.

I don't really hate it but.....not particularly fond of the Futur by Merkur.
The usefulness of this thread is it gets people talking unabashed, about their actual experiences. I find it revealing that a lot of sacred cows like the Gillette Fatboy, are not that well liked. Personally, I find my Slim only in the middle of the pack. As to the Futur, I really didn't like this razor the first two times I used it. The very positive reviews on Amazon made me try it again, and now I like it a lot. Funny how this can happen. I got used to the fact that it's aggressive, but it does produce some good shaves if used attentively.

Parker 99R/96R - Aggressive and ineffective at all.
Merkur 34C - too mild I do not feel the blade at all! EJ DE89LBL more aggressive and shaves much better !
Gillette Super Speed Red Tip - exactly the same as Merkur 34C too mild I do not feel the blade at all.
I have two Gillette Red Tips. Their one of the razors I use for blade comparison tests. The Red Tips usually described as the most "aggressive" of the flare tips. Is that not so? I acquired one, because the user found it too aggressive. I find it only mildly aggressive, but it can bite.
Is "feeling the blade" important to you? Some people like that, others feel that the razors should do its work efficiently with no feel. For example the Ikon X3. Others like the Muhle R41 and even the PAA Bakelite slant have a lot more blade feel. Can you share why feeling the blade is important for you? I'm curious about others' experience. Thanks!

The Futur has that look that I can't click with, man! If I can't stand looking at it, Sure as hell I'm not going to shave with it.
Yes beauty is in the eye if the beholder, and I agree that futuristic look is not for everyone. But it shaves well, if you can forgive that.

The Futur has that look that I can't click with, man! If I can't stand looking at it, Sure as hell I'm not going to shave with it.

I Agree with you on the look of the futur. Just not for me regardless of how well it shaves. I also have an aversion to razors that are plastic. Even partially plastic. To me a razor should be all metal.

Top Bottom