What's new

Which Razors Do You Hate?!

Black Handled Super Speed - just doesn't, er, cut it. Can't get a stubble-free chin with one.

Gem Contour II - disappointing in every way. The Contour was bad enough, but this thing is terrible. Same head as the wonderful Featherweight and Push-button, but it is astoundingly sub-par.

I don't like my Slim adjustable... even up at 9, I can't find a way to get it to shave well. I think that oldie is faulty. Love my fatboy though.

I hate my FatBoy! There, I said it! I honestly do and it is one of the few razors I have left after acquiring my Timeless. It will probably be gone soon enough as well. It is just such a nice specimen and the only reason I still have it. Found my perfect razor and just stick with it.

I hate my FatBoy! There, I said it! I honestly do and it is one of the few razors I have left after acquiring my Timeless. It will probably be gone soon enough as well. It is just such a nice specimen and the only reason I still have it. Found my perfect razor and just stick with it.
I don't believe I know the Timeless. Please tell more. I think this thread is an honest purging of feelings. Yay!

I am interested to hear your reasoning, please.
This was my first DE razor, and after acquiring various other tools (including SEs), it still has a spot in my rotation.
I don't know their reasoning, but it's also my most hated razor. Why? It's fragile. Edwin Jagger now states it on their website, they didn't use to. The threaded stud on the head will break off in the handle when dropped, sometimes from the edge of the sink into the sink (3+ inches). I was completely unaware of how easy it would break or I would have never got mine. Many other choices that are more durable for the price. I bumped mine off the sink, it was done. Since I've dropped my 1950 Gillette, no problem at all.

Fatip Grande
Muhle R41 (2011)
Both uncomfortable

Yes, but don't you find it to be really efficient?

Extremely efficient. I use a sharp new blade most times I use the X3 and absolutely love it. I put it up there with my Timeless .68. I could never hate the X3!

Hate is a strong word. There's a few razor I don't like... and a few more I hate

First - The Shaving Factory safety razor available at Sally's and other chain stores. I hate it because it's so accessible and so bad. I'd been shaving for years when I saw it and thought "wow a safety razor in a store. Gotta buy it and support the craft." Then I tried using it and it's so unusably mild I actually had to make sure I didn't forget to put the blade in. I hate it not because of that though. I hate it because of the potential wetshavers it will and has inevitably turned away after they have a bad experience with it. "This thing sucks. I'm going back to my Gillette Fusion Pro Glide Vibrating thing."

Second - I know this will be an unpopular opinion. And I want to preface it by saying I appreciate the intent and I have nothing against those trying... but I kind of hate the cheap vendor razors. I'm not talking about the stuff by PAA or Razorock's various original or rebranded offerings. I'm talking about the dime a dozen EJ clones offered by Wet Shave Club and the like.

I only hate them because they're inconsistent. Some are very good shavers. But some... some are nightmares when it comes to alignment and again, I fear that could harm new wetshavers and/or turn them off from wetshaving as a whole.

I've bought multiples from the same places to test on my own because I wanted to make kits for friends. Sure, we can spot a razor with issues and know that it's only that particular razor. But some person who's received a bad safety razor as a gift from a well-meaning friend typically won't know anything about blade alignment or exposure. Therefore, he or she won't know that it's only their particular razor that's the problem. They'll likely assume safety razors suck as a whole.

The only razor I have used that I positively dislike is the Rocnel SE, which takes half a DE blade. In my hands, the balance is all wrong, the blade edges protruding from the sides are deadly and the heavy head is difficult to control accurately.

The Valet Autostrop makes a great paperweight that I found pretty useless as a shaving instrument, but at least it didn't cut my face to ribbons like the Rocnel!

Edit: I just realised that both of my 'dislikes' are SEs and this is the DE forum. The one DE I expected to love and was 'meh' was a Gillette Rocket Flair Tip which I found disappointing compared to a Schick Krona I was using at the time.

There are a lot of razors that have left my den because they just bored me (34c, Super Speeds, Slim etc), and a few that I just didn't get along with (Holy Black SR71, El Jefe, more) but the only razor that causes gnashing of teeth when it comes up is the Fat Boy. Not because I hated using it or because it didn't look pretty but just because I find it ridiculously overhyped. "Oh poor you, you really must have a Fat Boy in your den. I have seven, five I've never used they're so perfect". Well, no you mustn't. I experienced no wave of euphoria or even particular satisfaction using it, preferring the Schick Krona for which you'll pay a quarter of the price.This even though there are 3.5-4x as many "uncommon" Fatboys as Kronas on the Bay at any one time. It's gone and I don't miss it. I have a rewarding life and three razors I actually enjoy using from the money I got from selling the Fat Boy.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hate is a strong word. There's a few razor I don't like... and a few more I hate

First - The Shaving Factory safety razor available at Sally's and other chain stores. I hate it because it's so accessible and so bad. I'd been shaving for years when I saw it and thought "wow a safety razor in a store. Gotta buy it and support the craft." Then I tried using it and it's so unusably mild I actually had to make sure I didn't forget to put the blade in. I hate it not because of that though. I hate it because of the potential wetshavers it will and has inevitably turned away after they have a bad experience with it. "This thing sucks. I'm going back to my Gillette Fusion Pro Glide Vibrating thing."

Second - I know this will be an unpopular opinion. And I want to preface it by saying I appreciate the intent and I have nothing against those trying... but I kind of hate the cheap vendor razors. I'm not talking about the stuff by PAA or Razorock's various original or rebranded offerings. I'm talking about the dime a dozen EJ clones offered by Wet Shave Club and the like.

I only hate them because they're inconsistent. Some are very good shavers. But some... some are nightmares when it comes to alignment and again, I fear that could harm new wetshavers and/or turn them off from wetshaving as a whole.

I've bought multiples from the same places to test on my own because I wanted to make kits for friends. Sure, we can spot a razor with issues and know that it's only that particular razor. But some person who's received a bad safety razor as a gift from a well-meaning friend typically won't know anything about blade alignment or exposure. Therefore, he or she won't know that it's only their particular razor that's the problem. They'll likely assume safety razors suck as a whole.
Inconsistency is the bane of poor manufacturing quality control.

At this point, any open comb razor. Burns my face every time.
It's not the OC. It's the razor, your technique or both. The PAA Double Open Comb is super mild. The Gillette New Type circa 1930 is quite smooth. If you want a I can recommend some OCs. Some are excellent.

There are a lot of razors that have left my den because they just bored me (34c, Super Speeds, Slim etc), and a few that I just didn't get along with (Holy Black SR71, El Jefe, more) but the only razor that causes gnashing of teeth when it comes up is the Fat Boy. Not because I hated using it or because it didn't look pretty but just because I find it ridiculously overhyped. "Oh poor you, you really must have a Fat Boy in your den. I have seven, five I've never used they're so perfect". Well, no you mustn't. I experienced no wave of euphoria or even particular satisfaction using it, preferring the Schick Krona for which you'll pay a quarter of the price.This even though there are 3.5-4x as many "uncommon" Fatboys as Kronas on the Bay at any one time. It's gone and I don't miss it. I have a rewarding life and three razors I actually enjoy using from the money I got from selling the Fat Boy.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Good for you dude! I love that honest feeling coming through!

I guess I should expand on my previous comment. I didn't like the Blue Tip or the Tech. Never could get a decent shave from them because I thought them too mild. Once I found how to feel the right angle they suddenly became great shavers.

The Fatboy was also a meh shaver. It didn't help that mine is pretty ugly. Like the other mild shavers I found it works great on 3 with a sharp blade. Another user pointed out how it keeps a blade very rigid. I suddenly found that I could get many more wonderful shaves per blade on a higher setting like 7.

Once you get bored with your favorites give some of the lesser specimens a try. You may be surprised.

I dislike the PAT 1932 triangle slot, fat handle tech. I just couldn't get a good shave from it and found the handling awkward. Once I get my act together I'll have to PIF it since I think I have two. I'm soooo behind on my cleaning/sanitizing/polishing; I'm much better at buying.

I can, however, get a great shave from the much-maligned Super Slim Twist with plastic blue handle. It's all so YMMV

I dislike the PAT 1932 triangle slot, fat handle tech. I just couldn't get a good shave from it and found the handling awkward. Once I get my act together I'll have to PIF it since I think I have two. I'm soooo behind on my cleaning/sanitizing/polishing; I'm much better at buying.

I can, however, get a great shave from the much-maligned Super Slim Twist with plastic blue handle. It's all so YMMV
My mileage NEVER varies...EVER.

Top Bottom