What's new

Which razor??

I have been using a Van Der Hagen as a starter razor for 2 years, but now looking for something a little more aggressive. I was looking at a Muhle 39c, but was recently given a Parker Safety Razor as a gift. Not to sure about this Parker 91r, as it looks like the VDH as far as the blade closeness. Should I return the Parker for the Muhle?

I have been using a Van Der Hagen as a starter razor for 2 years, but now looking for something a little more aggressive. I was looking at a Muhle 39c, but was recently given a Parker Safety Razor as a gift. Not to sure about this Parker 91r, as it looks like the VDH as far as the blade closeness. Should I return the Parker for the Muhle?
I think you mean Merkur 39C. Also Parker razor are on the aggressive side. Try it before you dismiss it. I bet it's not the same as the VDH razor.

I think you mean Merkur 39C. Also Parker razor are on the aggressive side. Try it before you dismiss it. I bet it's not the same as the VDH razor.
Made a mistake with the model number. Its a Muhle R-89, that I was looking at. Is it a very aggressive razor? I have tried different blades in my VDH, including Feathers. Just not close enough. My favorite blade is Wilkinson, made in Germany. Most comfortable shave.

Made a mistake with the model number. Its a Muhle R-89, that I was looking at. Is it a very aggressive razor? I have tried different blades in my VDH, including Feathers. Just not close enough. My favorite blade is Wilkinson, made in Germany. Most comfortable shave.
It's on the mild side. Might be a little more aggressive than the VDH. But not as aggressive as the Parker 91R. I own a Muhle R89.Try the Parker 91R before you dismiss it as similar to the VDH.

I have the Muhle R94 which is definitely a step up in efficiency, the Razorock lupo 72 or a merkur progress might be two other great options

Thank you Bill_G!! Tried the Parker. Really impressed! Put a used 2 shave Wikinson in it, to try out. Got my technique right on the first shave. Next shave put in new Wilkie, and my face loved it. I was looking for major face irritation, but had none. Very smooth and efficient shave, which I was looking for, as my VDH just wasn't cutting it, pardon the pun, no matter what blade I put in it, including Feathers. Efficiency was what I was really looking for, and got a close shave first pass. Looks like I've got an everyday razor right out of the box. This is not a hobby for me, even though I like all that goes with DE shaving. Will eventually be putting a Feather in this razor, once I am a little more comfortable with this great razor, as well as a Gillette Platinum blade. Also have some Vokshods to use up. Thanks again for being a voice of reason to try the Parker.

Thank you Bill_G!! Tried the Parker. Really impressed! Put a used 2 shave Wikinson in it, to try out. Got my technique right on the first shave. Next shave put in new Wilkie, and my face loved it. I was looking for major face irritation, but had none. Very smooth and efficient shave, which I was looking for, as my VDH just wasn't cutting it, pardon the pun, no matter what blade I put in it, including Feathers. Efficiency was what I was really looking for, and got a close shave first pass. Looks like I've got an everyday razor right out of the box. This is not a hobby for me, even though I like all that goes with DE shaving. Will eventually be putting a Feather in this razor, once I am a little more comfortable with this great razor, as well as a Gillette Platinum blade. Also have some Vokshods to use up. Thanks again for being a voice of reason to try the Parker.
No problem. Glad you like the Parker. Most people on this forum start out by trying to get a better more cost effective shave compared to cartridges & before you know it they end up with a cabinet or drawer full of shaving gear. I now own 13 razors & lots of different creams. In fact I might be buying another razor today. But I do have my favorites.
Enjoy.

No problem. Glad you like the Parker. Most people on this forum start out by trying to get a better more cost effective shave compared to cartridges & before you know it they end up with a cabinet or drawer full of shaving gear. I now own 13 razors & lots of different creams. In fact I might be buying another razor today. But I do have my favorites.
Enjoy.
Have you tried the Jack Black Supreme Cream? 6 oz. tube about $20, but you don't need a lot to make a great lather. Put about a 2 inch stream in your bowl with a wet brush, and it really lathers up. Leaves your face feeling great after shaving. Really offers a lot of protection from irritation. I got my tube as a promo from the shop I go for all my DE blades. You could use more cream if you feel a little thin on the lather, but it really lathers up. Smells good too! Just my .02! Thanks again!!

Have you tried the Jack Black Supreme Cream? 6 oz. tube about $20, but you don't need a lot to make a great lather. Put about a 2 inch stream in your bowl with a wet brush, and it really lathers up. Leaves your face feeling great after shaving. Really offers a lot of protection from irritation. I got my tube as a promo from the shop I go for all my DE blades. You could use more cream if you feel a little thin on the lather, but it really lathers up. Smells good too! Just my .02! Thanks again!!
No I mainly use Proraso, LaToja & Cremo.

2inches??????? Thats the most expencive soap i ewer heard!

2inches??????? Thats the most expencive soap i ewer heard!
Its a creme. Very thin stream, about an 1/8", very concentrated. Makes nice lather. I also have a puck of a Sandalwood scented soap, which is also pretty good. I think for the protection it gives my face, the Jack Black is a pretty good value. I have a new Parker 91R, and have yet to cut or nick myself. 1-good technique, 2-good blades, and 3-good soap that gives me protection from irritation and nicks...prep is also key!

Top Bottom