What's new

Which razor to buy next?

Morning from Thailand everyone. I'm currently using a Merkur 34c and have experimented with quite a few different blades. This morning I tried a Feather blade. It was a very close shave. I have found that this razor is quite mild and was wondering which razor I should buy next. I want something more aggressive.

Many thanks in advance.

Low cost: Ming Shi 2000S or Qshave copy of Merkur Futur

Beyond that, not knowing your spending limits...

The go-to "aggressive razor" has always seemed to be the Muhle R41. Never owned one. Just aware of the reputation.

I have the Merkur 34G, which is just a gold 34C. My Merkur Progress is more aggressive. I consider my RazoRock Game Changer .84 to be more aggressive as well.

Brother Nath,

I'm a little confused. You shaved with the 34c this morning and got a "very close shave," but you want a razor that's more aggressive?

The Merkur Futur is an adjustable razor AND it is a very aggressive razor. That would be 2 major differences from the 34c.

Also, what razors are available to you in the retail stores of Thailand? Why not buy local before you start importing razors from Europe and America?

Brother Nath,

I'm a little confused. You shaved with the 34c this morning and got a "very close shave," but you want a razor that's more aggressive?

The Merkur Futur is an adjustable razor AND it is a very aggressive razor. That would be 2 major differences from the 34c.

Also, what razors are available to you in the retail stores of Thailand? Why not buy local before you start importing razors from Europe and America?
Sorry I forgot to mention I did three passes plus touch ups. I would like something that could possibly get me there in two passes. In Thailand we have nothing in the stores other than these:
proxy.php
proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If you want to go vintage you could get a Gillette Fatboy or a Gillette Slim adjustable razor. You can crank them up to setting 9 if you want an aggressive shave. Plenty of them around especially on the bay. Reasonably priced as well.

If you want to go vintage you could get a Gillette Fatboy or a Gillette Slim adjustable razor. You can crank them up to setting 9 if you want an aggressive shave. Plenty of them around especially on the bay. Reasonably priced as well.

+1! Great suggestions! :a14::a14:

Rockwell 6S with a #5 or 6 plate can be a rather frisky razor.
One thing about the Muhle...
The R41 comes in two flavors.
The 2011 is a true beast. It can take your face clean off. I have one and love it. One must pay close attention when using it though. The later models (2013 and later) are still pretty hyper but are a tad detuned from the early edition.

Low cost: Ming Shi 2000S or Qshave copy of Merkur Futur
Yup. I bought the QShave Futur clone out of curiosity, and now it's one of my favourites, out of 15 new and vintage razors.
It took some getting used to though.

Make sure it's assembled correctly though. Mine was "overclocked" out of the box...
Easy fix: Squeeze the unloaded head and twist the handle to reset it to the 0.5 setting.

If you're looking for a more aggressive razor, Global Shave Club has an "R41+". Its supposed to be an R41 clone that is less aggressive and as efficient. It is cheaper than the R41 too. I have one, and it is a good shaver. Not the highest quality razor though. Atleast on mine, the blade needs to be shifted a little sometimes to be even. But, once that is done, it is a good shaver. Finish isn't perfect. But hey, it's a $30 razor. I can send you some detailed pics if you're interested.

If you're looking for a more aggressive razor, Global Shave Club has an "R41+". Its supposed to be an R41 clone that is less aggressive and as efficient. It is cheaper than the R41 too. I have one, and it is a good shaver. Not the highest quality razor though. Atleast on mine, the blade needs to be shifted a little sometimes to be even. But, once that is done, it is a good shaver. Finish isn't perfect. But hey, it's a $30 razor. I can send you some detailed pics if you're interested.
Sounds great! Would love to see some photos. Thanks!

@Shaver Nath, I see from your post history that you're pretty new to DE shaving, so I'll voice a contrary opinion and suggest investing more time on improving technique and lathering before looking around for new razors. When I started I got the bug to buy new razors in search of a better shave and I would have been much better served sticking with one razor for several months. You've got good equipment, make sure you're getting as much out of it as you can before trying to switch it up.

@Shaver Nath, I see from your post history that you're pretty new to DE shaving, so I'll voice a contrary opinion and suggest investing more time on improving technique and lathering before looking around for new razors. When I started I got the bug to buy new razors in search of a better shave and I would have been much better served sticking with one razor for several months. You've got good equipment, make sure you're getting as much out of it as you can before trying to switch it up.
I totally agree! I've decided this form of shaving is for me and I was just curious as to which razor people would recommend next. At the moment I'm focusing on getting the best blade combo with my Merkur 34c first. So far the Bic Chrome Platinum seems to be the best blade for me when using the Merkur 34c. Right amount of sharpness and smoothness. Thanks for your opinion.

Top Bottom