What's new

Which razor is the best to test your technique? The Tech?

To keep things brief:

The ultimate test of technique is a razor with positive blade exposure and generous blade gap, as it punishes mistakes immediately.

Blade exposure and blade gap do not have to be more, however, than needed to give you the closeness that you desire.

B.
Ikon Tek then. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: saj
I would select a razor I use often because I can determine small (albeit subjective) changes in shave quality.

To keep things brief:

The ultimate test of technique is a razor with positive blade exposure and generous blade gap, as it punishes mistakes immediately.

Blade exposure and blade gap do not have to be more, however, than needed to give you the closeness that you desire.

B.

That might be a more ‘scientific’ approach. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

... of course if someone uses the same razor all the time they'll get their technique down to the T
:laugh: You're obviously an optimist, Saj.

I'm thinking about the folk who've been "practicing" for decades, and still get rough shaves... simply due to doing the same thing every time.

Only "perfect practice makes perfect." :wink2:

BTW, I'll never be a "perfect" shaver. But thankfully, I do improve most of the time due to wearing my SWB (Shaving White Belt) for (nearly) every shave. :smartass:

I've been shaving for decades with safety razors but I do probably what shouldn't be done which is do something different each time.

First 25 years or so of shaving I used the same razor. Changed blades once and settled on a different cream that I still much prefer and almost always use.

Always had a great shave but probably a little more then 5 years ago I started getting different razors and trying different creams and different aftershaves. Funny thing is I still haven't tried different blades after my initial switch from Silver Blues to Astra SP two decades ago. That's my constant I guess.

I guess where I'm going with the rambling is yep, I still can get cuts, weepers, razor burns, etc but it's really my own fault for trying to "spice up" the daily drag of shaving.

Absolutely! I started shaving with an early 70's Tech back in yearly 2016 and it was great for learning how to shave on daily bases, but the way I shaved back then is obviously much different than now, since back then I just wanted to get a decent shave and that's it and I was only shaving WTG. Now I want nothing more than the closest shave possible and to do that I have to do multiple passes including ATG and ATG.

Despite all of that, I still recommend Techs for people who are new to wetshaving, simply because it's very hard to cut yourself with them and also because they are very inexpensive and I see nothing wrong if people with more experience are enjoying them or like you've said, for testing new stuff like soaps/creams, blades etc.

What makes me cringe is the notion that some folks are spreading that the very mild and not super efficient razors can be just as good as every other razor and while on paper that might be true to some degree, the variables that determine how good a shave is are countless and they also vary from person to person and that's like saying my way of doing things or my game is better than yours.
I agree as I've noticed I get more irritation with milder razors (even with sharp blades) as I have to go over the same places over and over

To keep things brief:

B.
Thats why I enjoy adjustables, to tweak on the go

:laugh: You're obviously an optimist, Saj.

I'm thinking about the folk who've been "practicing" for decades, and still get rough shaves... simply due to doing the same thing every time.

Only "perfect practice makes perfect." :wink2:

BTW, I'll never be a "perfect" shaver. But thankfully, I do improve most of the time due to wearing my SWB (Shaving White Belt) for (nearly) every shave. :smartass:
Well if we were perfect we wouldnt have anything to aim for, so imperfections are perfect lol

Btw imho razors I don't think that will improve technique as much are razors with the built in angle like Henson, Yaqi tile, wining razor, although I love these razors they're just pick up and go razors where as with a de you have to find the angle, just my take on it mate 🤷

Top Bottom