What's new

which razor I should to buy? Merkur 34C\Parker Variant\Merkur Progress

which razor I should to buy? Merkur 34C\Parker Variant\Merkur Progress

• Merkur 34C

• Parker Variant

• Merkur Progress

Results are only viewable after voting.
hello: I need advice What a razor buy: merkur 34C or Parker Variant or Merkur Progress ?

Right now I'm using Edwin Jagger DE89, and each time i shave against the direction i get cuts and it does not matter what blade I use (i tried few brands) it always happens to me . And I gently shave and do not press.
*At the end of every shave my face burns.

*Another thing I should note:
I feel like I'm a bit fighting in the first pass (With The Grain), and i need over those areas a few times for it to cut.

my prep: Hot water with a face for a minute and a half (in the sink, not a shower)
And I use a simple shaving cream I bought at the local supermarket with omega boar shaving brush.

I have thick and dense bristles + sensitive skin that tends to razor bumps and cuts (I am cut only in the last pass against the direction of growth).

*My main dilemma is more between Merkur 34 and Parker Variant,
the price of Merkur Progress is expensive ,But if you tell me it's worth the price then I'll buy it. (the price is a bit factor)
So between the three merkur 34C , parker variant and Merkur Progress, which razor i should to buy?

many thanks
idan.

Last edited:
i would choose a adjustable, the parker is as good as the merkur progres. When I use my variant or my progress, I start on a high level at wtg about level 3.5 or 4, go down to 2.5 for xtg and then down to 1.5 for the last pass atg. always smooth, with bbs result.

*Another thing I should note:
I feel like I'm a bit fighting in the first pass (With The Grain), and i need over those areas a few times for it to cut.
It seems to me your blade angle is wrong if the blade is not cutting and you are getting razor burn. Also, you need multiple passes so that you get gradual reduction. By the time you complete 3 passes you should have a very close shave without cuts or razor burn. Don't buy a new razor because your technique is poor; the DE89 is very capable of giving you a close shave. Here is some good advice on blade angle; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade

I think the Progress might be the best choice out of your options. If you don’t like the EJ, you probably won’t like the 34c and the Variant might be too smooth for your tastes.

It seems to me your blade angle is wrong if the blade is not cutting and you are getting razor burn. Also, you need multiple passes so that you get gradual reduction. By the time you complete 3 passes you should have a very close shave without cuts or razor burn. Don't buy a new razor because your technique is poor; the DE89 is very capable of giving you a close shave. Here is some good advice on blade angle; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade

This. I find your choice of razors a little puzzling: two adjustables and a non adjustable that's known as a mild razor.

I've got the DE89 and it's a great razor, for me somewhere in moderate aggression, in fact it's a bit more aggressive then my 37C slant.

If you insist on buying one I'd go with an adjustable for sure, but working on your technique is a large factor.

I have a 34c and a Progress. Of the two I would pick the 34c. I can't seem to get a good shave from my Progress.

My two favorite shavers are the Merkur 34c (first produced in 1933) and the Merkur Progress (first produced in 1955).

I switch between them all the time.

The 34c gives a close, comfortable shave and the Progress is capable of an even closer shave.

The only one I own is the 34C and it's a great razor. I'd go with the Variant though and may actually purchase one myself if the 12-step program fails.

I've done some research on this and I personally prefer the look of the Variant over the Progress. Mergress is a different story - that thing is beautiful.

I have all three and get great shaves from all. I voted for the Progress because Merkur has recently updated their castings, and, my first Variant had uneven blade exposure and I returned it for a replacement. The new Progresses have much less play in the head than earlier models (pre-2016), in my opinion.

I voted Progress...but I suggest that your prep may be inadequate.

I do recommend shaving after a shower. If your morning routine is different, then maybe this. I try to keep my face wet for 10 minutes. That gives your facial hair more time to absorb the water. So, I wet my face. Then maybe I put on my underwear and socks, then re-wet face. Brush teeth, re-wet face. Gargle mouthwash, then re-wet.

Basically, keep your face wet while you do everything else in your morning before work routine. And I do this with COLD water, not hot.

So when it is time to shave your hair is saturated with water it has absorbed, like a sponge.

A simple shaving cream? Why not name the brand? People love to opine about such things...as I am going to do. So, something like Barbasol? White foam out of a can? Or a gel that basically becomes white foam?

Boo. [hiss]. It sounds like white foam because it isn't providing you with lubrication. Slippery-ness. Recommend bulk purchase of sticks of Arko. They're cheap. Alternative is Cremo Cream. It's slick. It's $6. It's at Walmart.

If your against the grain pass is your 3rd pass, after a with and across pass, it should not be one of the Labors of Hercules.

I think the Progress might be the best choice out of your options. If you don’t like the EJ, you probably won’t like the 34c and the Variant might be too smooth for your tastes.

I don’t think there’s any difference in smoothness between the Variant and the Progress.

The Variant is a very close Progress clone, and the only real difference is the grippier handle and the fact that the Variant has a slightly more bulky head.

+1! Good advice!! The 89 series are very capable razors IME. :a14::a14:

You can always buy another razor (or three).

I started with an EJ DE89 and never could get it figured out. Every shave was either bad razor burn or weepers....it almost made me give up on wet shaving. Fast forward many years, I decided to get a 34c and it is one of the best shaving razors I own. Every time I use it I get great carefree shaves. Every so often I go back and try my old DE89 and still get razor burn or weepers. I highly recommend the 34c. Never used any of your other selections.

I love my DE89 with a couple shims under a personna blade.
You should look at getting a merkur 37c
That is a very smooth efficient safety razor IMO

Pretty strange the DE89 doesn't work for you. Something might be wrong with your technique or even the shaving cream. Anyways, the 34C is not that much different than the DE89, so the right thing would be to buy a Progress of Variant. They are in another league and also adjustable.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Right now I'm using Edwin Jagger DE89, and each time i shave against the direction i get cuts and it does not matter what blade I use (i tried few brands) it always happens to me . And I gently shave and do not press.
*At the end of every shave my face burns.

I have thick and dense bristles + sensitive skin that tends to razor bumps and cuts (I am cut only in the last pass against the direction of growth).

From what you've said above, you need more rigidity, not more blade gap offered by an adjustable. If you do want an adjustable, try a Gillette Slim. The Slim is a more rigid design because of how they clamp the blade against the doors.

Try a search of the DE forum for 'rigidity'. There is much to read and in my opinion a more rigid design may just solve all your issues.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I love my DE89 with a couple shims under a personna blade.

Two shims would increase the rigidity of the blade a great deal while increasing blade gap. A byproduct of increasing blade gap is increasing blade exposure that in turn, increases efficiency.

Top Bottom