What's new

Which Razor for a Road Trip?

I'll be traveling (by car) for several weeks, and I'm trying to decide which razor to bring along. Since it's a car trip, I don't have any issues with bringing blades or with TSA confiscating the razor, but I would like to limit myself to one razor. Here's the current lineup of razors (in no particular order):
  • Blackland Dart
  • Edwin Jagger 3one6
  • Muhle Rocca
  • Merkur Futur
  • Fatip FOCS
  • GEM MMOC
  • Triceratops (GEM single edge)
  • Classic Shaving Enoch (AC style single edge)
Last trip I used the 3one6, and it did what I expected - consistently close (not quite BBS) shaves with no drama whatsoever. I could do the same again, but since I have other good razors, I feel like I should try something else this time. Overall, the Dart is the razor I use most often, but it does require a bit more care when shaving than most of the others, with the possible exception of the MMOC. I'm reluctant to take the Rocca, because despite what everyone says I feel as if the birch bark handle is more delicate than the others, and part of the trip will include sharing a bathroom with other family members besides my wife. The FOCS sometimes causes irritation so it's not the most likely choice.

It's probably going to be a "game time" decision, but which would you take?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Either these:

• Edwin Jagger 3one6
  • Muhle Rocca
  • Merkur Futur
  • Fatip FOCS
  • GEM MMOC
They can all be replaced this month

Or order something like a Lord L6 or twin-blade disposables

Usually I take along my Merkur progress because of the versatility and because I get really good shaves out of it from mild growth all the way to a 3 or 4 day stubble but since its not on your list I'd go with the adjustability of the futur

MMOC. Closest shave, cheapest to replace in the event of loss. And no cap to lose down the hotel room drain. I spend a lot of time traveling in SE Asia and the last one is a big consideration.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
second the MMOC. Easily replaceable, and you can set it on someone else's counter backside down without worrying too much about just how sanitary that surface is, because only one side touches the face.

+1! My philosophy also!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

For what it is worth my ‘travel razor’ is a Lord L6, a fine shaver that goes for around $7.

Being an over the road truck driver, I actually don’t do this, since I “travel” for a living. I bring along my favorite razor (Rex Ambassador) otherwise I would hardly get to use it. For the occasional traveler, I think bringing a razor that is easily replaced is a better option.

In case anyone was wondering (although hopefully you can find something more interesting to wonder about), I am midway through my trip. I packed the Futur, since it's adjustable and can be relied upon to give a consistently excellent shave while requiring minimum attention. At the last minute, however, I threw in my Dart. For the first week I used the Futur, and it did what it always does without any issues. Now that we've settled in at my son's house for a while, however, I felt the Dart calling. Yes, it is now nearly irreplaceable, and yes it does require more attention than the Futur, but it just shaves a bit closer and feels perfectly balanced in my hand. I'm glad I've got the Futur with me; if I get heavy handed with the Dart and irritate my neck, I can dial the Futur down to 2 or 3 until the irritation subsides. That said, it's highly unlikely to happen and I'll probably use the Dart for most if not all of the remaining days on this trip.

Top Bottom