What's new

Which Penhaligons to try first?

My curiosity is up. BIG TIME. I keep hearing and reading about Penhaligons and I'm afraid the only way to cure my curiosity will be to try some. But which to try first? Which is your favorite?:huh:

Get some samples and try a bunch. Blenheim Bouquet is a classic, also English Fern. The others are nice in their own way, but I consider those a must-try.

av8or234,

I've got a couple extras if you want em? I picked up a bunch of Decants through Badger and Blade as well as Basenotes. I believe I may have an extra LP No9, and and extra Opus 1870 at the moment.

I like the LP No. 9, but its more of a "cuddling cologne," if that makes much sense, in that it'd be something that would draw the female close to you, but I'm still debating on if the Cinnamon overtakes the scent on its drydown. Its a very sweet scent, IMO, but my neighbor catches its vetiver and Sandalwood notes primarily.

I just received the Endymion and the Opus 1870, and I think I like the Opus a-bit more than the Endymion initially, but I'll wear them each for a week before making that decision. I think the Endymion has more of an older male scent (above 30, below 60). I just did a spray of the Opus, as I was typing this, and the Black Pepper is very prominent for me, but drys down in a drastically different manner. The Opus is really a unique scent compared to the typical department store fair.

All of the scents I've smelled are very nice, but I'd check out samples or decants before doing a full purchase.

If you're partial to floral scents, then try the Hammam Bouquet, Elizabethan Rose and Lilly of the Valley.

If you're partial to spicy scents, then try the Racquets, Endymion or the Blenheim Bouquet.

If you're partial to earth scents, then try English Fern and Opus

If you like clove and cinnamon and dressy, warm scents, then try LP: 9.

If you're partial to citrus scents, then try Quercus, Castile and Duoro.

Of them all, I would have a very difficult time choosing a favorite. If I had to pick only three of them, I'd pick Elizabethan Rose, Hammam and Opus.

Luckily, between decants and bottle purchases, I have the luxury of being able to choose every morning what I'd like to wear for the day.

You can get samples from Penhaligon's. I called them and begged for a sample pack. They will send 4, but I've known them to overlook this "rule."

Start with the scent group that you prefer the most and then try the other categories.

-joedy

Just say that you have learned about their scents on a wet shaving internet forum (by all mean, tell them BadgerAndBlade.com) and would like to sample the following fragrances: ... ... ...

Also, once you have received samples, be a gentleman and write them a thank you note. If you did not care for the scents, pass them along to another interested individual in the same generosity that you received them and be sure to let the vendor know. Passing along samples is a great marketing technique and the vendors will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

-joedy

Good idea Joedy. I placed some of the ones I didn't like in the B&B Fragrance Train (which is also a nice way to smell a lot of samples).

Must be in the States where Penhaligon's send out samples. I sent a begging letter to the London office and was told I could buy a set of samples, half men's fragrances, half women's for about £15 + shipping. That's about $29 at the moment. Tight gits!

Trumpers have sent me some freebies and I'm waiting for a promised pack from Truefitt & Hill. Taylors don't do samples any more they tell me.

Gareth

Really? I got my samples from the UK. It would seem odd that they would care to what states they send them to. I live in California.

I think the Endymion has more of an older male scent (above 30, below 60).

I courteously disagree :001_smile

I have always thought that Endymion is quite the opposite. It is an extremely fresh, oceanic scent which I might normally associate more with a younger person than say Bay Rum, etc. which I think is more appropriate for older men.

I vote for Endymion for a first scent! But as suggested, I would certainly get the free sampler first! Also, if you are in Las Vegas, they have a store there.

Uh, are you sniffing the same Endymion that I am? It is as far from an "oceanic" scent than you can get. Oceanic is T&H 1805 or Acqua di Gio; Endymion is soft, sweet and spicy, with a black pepper scent; not really "fresh". Great stuff, but hardly oceanic.

Scotto said:
Uh, are you sniffing the same Endymion that I am? It is as far from an "oceanic" scent than you can get. Oceanic is T&H 1805 or Acqua di Gio; Endymion is soft, sweet and spicy, with a black pepper scent; not really "fresh". Great stuff, but hardly oceanic.

I agree. It is very similar to Floris Santal.

I agree about Endymion as well.

It's spicey, but not dark. Peppery, but not bitter. Formal, but not reserved.

The Endymion Frankinscense and Myrrh essential oil combination supports these impressions.

I think that Endymion is probably one of Penhaligon's most middle line scent; it seems to appeal to a wider audience than as compared to some of their other scents like the one that Scotto and I love the most....

Hammam Bouquet! :c18:

-joedy

Yes, the same Endymion. If you are referring to an "oceanic scent" formally, in that it contains "marine notes" which as you mentioned, can be found in 1805, Acqua Di Gio, Dunhill Desire Blue, Bond Wall Street, etc. then yes, it is different. Now if we are referring to a more general hypothetical category which I may have mistakingly dubbed oceanic, there are in fact many similarities between these colognes and Endymion which is why I group them together. I implore you to check out these links to Basenotes:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122741.html

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120017.html

Notice that between Endymion and 1805, they both have the EXACT same topnotes (Mandarin and Bergamot) and that both have a Musk basenote? How about Issey Miyake? It is almost EXACTLY like Endymion but has very little of the same notes. I group my Endymion with all of my lighter fragrances which are predominantly "fresh" and "citrusy." Personally, I don't really get the pepper and nutmeg when smelling it, but rather the lighter notes. I guess it is all a matter of opinion.

Different scents? Yes. "As far from an oceanic scent as you can get?" I think maybe that is a stretch. Spanish Leather is as far as you can get from oceanic, but I think that comment was a little farfetched. :smile:

Either way, my main point is that how the notes are combined makes a little more of a younger/fresher scent. As witnessed by other Basenotes reviews:

Maybe it's a perfume for young people up to 35 years. You can hardly imagine a 50 year old man or woman wearing this scent.
But for young people, it's wonderful, soft, light warm and delicious and sexy, wonderfully balanced and very long lasting.

Some even recommend it would make a great women's perfume...

This is why I love B&B: Cologne disagreements!!! he heh :)

Well, as usual people's interpretations of scents vary wildly. Regardless of what Basenotes lists, I detect little or no citrus in the opening of Endymion, unlike those colognes you mention which are usually dubbed "oceanic". We all agree that Endymion is a great scent, so it is a bit of a moot point, but I don't want people getting the wrong impression of what Endymion is if they are expecting something like 1805.

Top Bottom