What's new

Which Penhaligon soap...

Hello, which Penhaligon soap scent is more appropriate for spring summer?. Blenheim bouquet, or English Fern?.

Thanks.

Can't go wrong with either, honestly. I think the Fern is my favorite of the two, but certainly wouldn't feel bad about using the BB, either. Get both and indulge!

Both are good for warm-ish weather, but English Fern is definitely the "heavier" of the two. Blenheim Bouquet is probably better for when it gets hot because of the citrus and pine.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Long story short, Pen's is in the midst of reformulating their soaps to remove tallow, so as to be animal-product-free.

The Fern soap is still the tallow-first variety, and hard to find (now usually only with the wooden bowl rather than refills), as I believe the tallow-free version has yet to hit the market.

The Blenhiem soap is perhaps even harder to find, perhaps non-existant, as if you find it, it's going to be the "halfway house" soap with a bit of tallow (5th ingredient); again, the tallow-free has I believe yet to hit the market.

IF you can find an old Fern with tallow, get it!! (Unless you are morally opposed to animal products.) You can worry about scent preferences once the tallow-free stuff is all anyone can buy, and the level playingfield has arrived.

Thanks for quick replies so far appreciate it. Just to add I own Harris' Marlborough & Floris 89 so far as im new to soaps and still learning the lathering/water process. Im getting a decent shave with my Harris but the 89 is not as good for some reason.

Im looking for an everyday daily soap, and a soap for special occasions. Ignoring price(for the moment) I'm more concerned about latherability, efficacy and moisturising properties.

Ive narrowed down to Trumpers Rose or Sandalwood which I may use daily and Harris' Arlington or Lavender for daily/special occasions and Penhaligons EF or BB for special occasions only.

Good choice???

Thanks again.

Ive narrowed down to Trumpers Rose or Sandalwood which I may use daily and Harris' Arlington or Lavender for daily/special occasions and Penhaligons EF or BB for special occasions only.

Good choice???

Thanks again.

Sounds like a killer lineup. I've always believed, however, that life is too short to save things for "special" occasions. Each day I wake up without having had some kind of stroke in my sleep is a special enough occasion to use the good stuff. I say get it and use it every day, or at least in a regular rotation.

With that many hard soaps in the house, it would be difficult for you to use them all up before they began to dry up anyway, so you might as well use it all the time.

Dave

Last edited:
Very well put Dave, thats a good point you have. We do take life for granted, and I admit im one of them.

Made me think though. :blushing:

Sounds like a killer lineup. I've always believed, however, that life is too short to save things for "special" occasions. Each day I wake up with having had some kind of stroke in my sleep is a special enough occasion to use the good stuff. I say get it and use it every day, or at least in a regular rotation.
Agree. I pretty much use Penhaligon's everyday, except for the odd occasion when I use Cade or TOBS avocado.

Oh, and I would vote Blenheim Bouquet for more of a summery scent.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for quick replies so far appreciate it. Just to add I own Harris' Marlborough & Floris 89 so far as im new to soaps and still learning the lathering/water process. Im getting a decent shave with my Harris but the 89 is not as good for some reason.

Im looking for an everyday daily soap, and a soap for special occasions. Ignoring price(for the moment) I'm more concerned about latherability, efficacy and moisturising properties.

Good choice???

Thanks again.

The floris 89 soap is new, and I've seen lots of complaints about how it doesn't do a good job, so you are not alone.

Any Harris soap is going to be superb, and I'd say use it as your daily go-to. I haven't the experience with Trumper's but Harris is really great stuff.

Pen's would be a great choice for a "special" soap, but I guess the verdict is out on the pending tallow-free reformulation ... Floris used to be right up there with Pen's and then they reformulated tallow-free and now ... well, your 89 should give you an idea. So if you can land any Pen's with the tallow in it ... go for it.

I have a puck of Pen's BB with tallow as the 5th ingredient. It provides a great shave with gobs of thick, moist, slick lather. No, it might not be "Tallow first"...but 5th is pretty good in my book! Best shave soap I've tried...

Oh, and it smells nice too :)

I have a puck of Pen's BB with tallow as the 5th ingredient. It provides a great shave with gobs of thick, moist, slick lather. No, it might not be "Tallow first"...but 5th is pretty good in my book! Best shave soap I've tried...

Oh, and it smells nice too :)

I agree about the quality of this soap. I've stocked up on several pucks just in case the reformulation goes badly. Wish I'd tried the tallow 1st version of BB but to be honest, this version really does just as well as my tallow 1st version of English Fern.

Top Bottom