What's new

Which PAA brush is the stiffest?

I had been wanting to get a PAA brush for a while. The attraction for me is the retro styling and price. I picked up a used Peregrino in the BST for 10 bucks, and love the handle, but find the brush a bit of a floppy mop.

Are any of their other brushes a bit stiffer? Note that I'm not necessarily looking for a scrubber (I bowl lather) but was hoping to get a PAA brush with a bit more backbone.

Suggestions?

Edit to add: I would prefer a 24mm brush, so I'm thinking it's between the Amber Aerolite and Atomic Rocket, at least aesthetically. I see that they have different knots than the Peregrino, but are they stiffer?

Last edited:
The other option, I suppose, is to hack the old knot from my Peregrino and replace it. Now big loss if I destroyed it in the process.

Edit to add: I would prefer a 24mm brush, so I'm thinking it's between the Amber Aerolite and Atomic Rocket, at least aesthetically. I see that they have different knots than the Peregrino, but are they stiffer?

No, in fact I'd say the Peregrino & Starcraft are the stiffest ones in the lineup.

If you want more backbone I'd suggest a Trafalgar T2 or T3. Or you rip out the knots in the PAA brushes and set it deeper.

No, in fact I'd say the Peregrino & Starcraft are the stiffest ones in the lineup.

If you want more backbone I'd suggest a Trafalgar T2 or T3. Or you rip out the knots in the PAA brushes and set it deeper.

I have a T3. I just love the retro-inspired PAA handles. I think I may pull the knot from my Peregrino.

I had been wanting to get a PAA brush for a while. The attraction for me is the retro styling and price. I picked up a used Peregrino in the BST for 10 bucks, and love the handle, but find the brush a bit of a floppy mop.

Are any of their other brushes a bit stiffer? Note that I'm not necessarily looking for a scrubber (I bowl lather) but was hoping to get a PAA brush with a bit more backbone.

Suggestions?

FYI , Atomic rocket is 26mm. But I thought 26mm would be too big and love the phantom aerolite, it’s my top dog.

Amber Aerolite definitely has more backbone than the Peregrino and a much. Egged brush overall IMHO. I too find the Peregrino too soft and floppy.

Amber Aerolite definitely has more backbone than the Peregrino and a much. Egged brush overall IMHO. I too find the Peregrino too soft and floppy.
Just rereading my post and have no idea what I was typing….lol. I think I meant to type the Amber Aerolite is the better brush for me with better backbone.

I had been wanting to get a PAA brush for a while. The attraction for me is the retro styling and price.

When I asked them which of their brushes had the most backbone, they told me that they're all about the same.

Sidenote: I've given up on synthetics for now. To me, the benefits just don't outweigh the weak backbones yet. I'm sure they'll get there eventually, but I've been disappointed with what I've tried thus far.

Retro Style and some backbone —> Yaqi Bali Beehive 24mm

C2918BBB-F5C2-41D5-BADD-4F9A06EFBE17.jpeg

Personally I don’t find the phantom aerolite to be too floppy, and I’m definitely not a fan of floppy brushes. It could be a little bit stiffer, but it still performs better than my silver tip badger. It’s the only PAA brush I own, and I found it leagues above the razorock plissoft brush (which I did find floppy). My two cents!

Top Bottom