What's new

Which Open Comb

I recently got an acclaimed EJ DE86 (black handle), and while it is a very nice razor, I think it isn't for me, so I'm going to stick to open combs. I had a NEW head (short toothed) that I liked a lot, the blade lay flat on the teeth. Could anyone recommend an open comb which holds a blade flat to it's teeth?

Mühle R41 is a nice open comb. I believe the head is made by Merkur and is the same as the Merkur OC head, but the R41 has a nicer finish.

Last edited:
Of the newer razors I find the Muehle R41 to be a very decent open comb though I prefer the NEW Gillettes.

Merkur 11c is the most recent open comb I used, and it would fit the bill. It's a good shaver, although I prefer the New. Micromatic is always a good thing to try too. I guess I haven't used a DE, at all, for over a month now.

I used the Muhle R41 OC as my everyday razor for about a year, and for me it was an excellent shaver. And I got good results with inexpensive Derby blades.

On the R41 the blade lies directly on the combs, them Gillette NEW head has the blade lifted just above the combs.

Top Bottom