What's new

which one should ı buy after edwin jagger?

Hello

I'm beginner at traditional shaving. For 30 years ı have use braun7-9, philips aquashave, gilette mach 3 and gilette proglide. All was agony for me so ı begin the traditional shaving with pearl l 55 cc and pearl ssh 05 oc (this one was gifted to me). Shortly after ı buy a edwin jagger de 89. In summary shave is great but ı still get irritation with the blades other than euromax (ı try astra blue and green, gilette nacet, gilette silver blue, permasharp, bic,) and due to the shave lasting three passes and the corrections, I loosing my sweet time at the mornings. I have in reach to beautiful edwin jagger chatsworth (wich uses same head with de 89 ı belive ), merkür progress, merkür 34 c and razarock game changer 84. which one shuld ı buy to stay away from irritation and get fast and comfortable shave every day?

Iwould be very appreciated to anyone who lay his opinion about this subject.

Reactions: Kix
I've been using DE razors for about 10 months (not quite a year). My advice based on my experience is that the DE89 is a good mild razor design and you are probably getting irritation from using too much pressure, too many passes, or some combination of those.

About pressure: Don't push the razor into the area being shaved. Instead, focus on finding and using the optimal angle. Once you have the correct angle, all you need to do is glide the razor over the skin. Often this is said as "let the weight of the razor do the work."

About too many passes: Getting the right angle takes some practice. If the angle isn't right, the blade won't cut and you end up leaving stubble on spots you thought you shaved, leading to more passes and more potential for irritation.

Of course this is just my own experience, but once I found the angle and avoided pressure and too many passes, my shaves started getting a lot better. Don't get discouraged and keep practicing!

I never did get along with the DE89….always left me with irritation. In the beginning the 34c performed much better for me as I learned the art of safety razor shaving.

Another good razor is the Henson AL13 mild or medium. Super easy to shave with and provides excellent shaves.

RazorRock 68 or 84 would work well too….maybe start with the 68.

Another sleeper that shaves well is the Fatip Gentile. Inexpensive but solid.

Blade, the Bic seems the mildest out of what you mention but it’s a bit tuggy for me. Personally I think considering your blade choices a Gillette 7 O’clock yellow ”sharpedge” might be that perfect middle ground With that razor.

While they’re commonly knocked on because they’re cheap the post 1964 techs IMO shave better than the immediate post war techs, are easy to find new old stock as travel razors, can share a handle with an Edwin Jagger, and are a good introduction to whether you’d prefer the Gillette closed comb style over the Edwin Jagger German scalloped style.

If you're not scared of old and used razors, I'd like to recommend a Gillette Tech. I recently received one, and it's really easy to use and pretty mild.

Mine's a prewar tech. I haven't looked into the differences in aggression between prewar and postwar, but I'm sure whatever you find in usable condition would give great shaves!

I started with same head R89 and soon got razor burns whenever I wanted BBS ( 3-4 passes or more ) and also if not a fresh blade was used.
I went into more aggressive razors (Fatip Grande OC, R42 GS) and never looked back.

DE/R89 are too mild for a lot of people and since you are not shaving as close as you would like to then you apply more pressure and get razor burn as a result.

So before just guessing, how thick are your whiskers? The thicker the whisker the more direct should be the razor. The DE89 was to mild for me, yes I could achieve BBS, but I got the same result with lesser effort with more direct razors like all my pre war Punktal, Emir, Globusmann or my modetn Greencult.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to the forum.

It's certainly possible the EJ is the wrong razor for your face/beard, but if that's the case we need more information. Is it too mild, not cutting well? You've tried blades that are sharp, so that's not the problem.

If I had to guess - which I do, because I've never seen you shave and don't know your beard - my first choice would be to concentrate on technique. Irritation is almost always because of too much pressure, poor razor angle or both.

If I understand your post you have found one blade that doesn't provide irritation? Why not use that every time? In any case, I would strongly suggest you stop with what is essentially a 4 pass shave (3 passes and corrections). At the very least stop with the corrections. Live with the 3 pass results - I'd actually suggest 2 for a week or so - and build from there.

If you experiment with the razor angle with very little pressure and you're still not cutting well you probably have the wrong razor/blade combination. Do provide more information as you experiment so we can help choose a more aggressive razor if needed.

All the best.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like mild razors and found the DE89 pretty sweet. That said you need a razor that will consistently put the edge of the blade in just the right place, and that may mean tinkering with gap and exposure. You might consider a multi-plate system or an adjustable. You might also find the efficiency of a slant beneficial. Within these parameters there are a wide range of options. I went from DE89 to an Above the Tie Windsor with two different plates. I am toying with the notion of a Konsul, an adjustable slant. So figure out your budget and see how it goes.

First work on your technique and the lather. Gold points.
When I started the de89 gave me poor shaves, i switched to Rockwell 6s and tried many others too.
But now a few years later the R89, basically the same, gives me the best shaves.
It's technique technique and technique.
But the truth is that you have to try yourself which razor fits your face best. Maybe an aggressive one works well for you. Maybe not. Try yourself, and work on your technique

If I had to guess - which I do, because I've never seen you shave and don't know your beard - my first choice would be to concentrate on technique. Irritation is almost always because of too much pressure, poor razor angle or both.

First work on your technique and the lather. Gold points.
When I started the de89 gave me poor shaves, i switched to Rockwell 6s and tried many others too.
But now a few years later the R89, basically the same, gives me the best shaves.
It's technique technique and technique.
But the truth is that you have to try yourself which razor fits your face best. Maybe an aggressive one works well for you. Maybe not. Try yourself, and work on your technique
These members have saved me the trouble of typing out a reply. So I will just say

Technique. Get that right and the DE89 will work. Might not be the holy grail for you, but it will work.

Hello

I'm beginner at traditional shaving. For 30 years ı have use braun7-9, philips aquashave, gilette mach 3 and gilette proglide. All was agony for me so ı begin the traditional shaving with pearl l 55 cc and pearl ssh 05 oc (this one was gifted to me). Shortly after ı buy a edwin jagger de 89. In summary shave is great but ı still get irritation with the blades other than euromax (ı try astra blue and green, gilette nacet, gilette silver blue, permasharp, bic,) and due to the shave lasting three passes and the corrections, I loosing my sweet time at the mornings. I have in reach to beautiful edwin jagger chatsworth (wich uses same head with de 89 ı belive ), merkür progress, merkür 34 c and razarock game changer 84. which one shuld ı buy to stay away from irritation and get fast and comfortable shave every day?

Iwould be very appreciated to anyone who lay his opinion about this subject.
Why are you doing three passes? This is ridiculously excessive, I only ever do two and get a really close shave, of course you are going to get irritation by shaving your face three times.

I used R89 for years and I regret not switching off it sooner.

GC84 is insanely efficient and smooth in comparison for my coarse hair/sensitive skin. I plan on trying a Lupo 72/95 in future.

Top Bottom