What's new

which one should ı buy after edwin jagger?

This is ridiculously excessive, I only ever do two and get a really close shave, of course you are going to get irritation by shaving your face three times.
Three passes for the closest shave is needed for some people but irration is not inevitable. It depends on technique and good preparation. The extra pass comprising lather application and shave only adds ~90 seconds.
I find two passes are okay and a close shave but a little short of BBS or near that standard.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Why are you doing three passes? This is ridiculously excessive, I only ever do two and get a really close shave, of course you are going to get irritation by shaving your face three times.
Different faces/beards, different expectations, different techniques - there's lots of variety out there that's not a question of right and wrong. Some people have beards so tough they need 4 passes.

I've done more three pass shaves than I can count without irritation. But I would not hesitate to suggest skipping the ATG pass for beginners until they are getting irritation free shaves with the first two passes. It's not a terrible idea to start with two WTG passes for a short time. Blade angle often takes some experience.

Thanks again everyone who replies.

very important for me to have these information. I agree that ı must work about my razor and lather techniques. I work everyday about these. Even ı don't shave everyday ı work about my lather on my shaving bowl. My hair is thick, very thick but my skin on the contrast is very very soft. Thats the two proffesor level dermotologist's statement. One of them gave me special milks and balsams to ı get shave properly (at 20' s my situation was more severe). Thats why ı always get irritation whatever ı use to shave. But ı happy with the ej 89 (Not so much with the pearl l 55). But after ı read posts ı gradulally belived the ej 89 is not just the begginner razor, but a lifetime razor. Because people states the ej is much more comftable after a few years shaving experiance so i will keep it no matter what. But ı belive ıt didnt serves me as well at my current situation. İf ı shave once in a two days and with good lather it gaves me bbs shave without the irritation. But if ı want to shave everyday ı get irritation after 2 days. İts managable for most weeks, but sometimes ı have to shave everyday of the week. But my problem is the speed ı spend 40-45 minutes for face preparation and shave. I needed something faster, more accurate and less irritation. Old gilettes seems like good idea like slim or tech but Im at Turkey an here the they dont come at good situation at most of the tımes. On the other hand the razors ı stated are, ones ı can reach at reasonable price. For euro and dollars exchange rates wery high at Turkey. So most of the tımes ı cannot afford decent new razor like kar ve or tatara (even decent second hand some tımes). So these ones where the ones ı can get reasonable price at good situation. Thats because ı didnt want to invest a small fortune to shaving materials at the beginning of wet shaving. But ı keep reading the forums. So ı found out the rockwell 6c. it seems it's as soft, even softer and smoother than edwin jagger but as affective, even agressiver than the GÇ 84. So ı read and ı wanted to try one. I hope ıt works well for me. The adjustable razors ı read about seems like beginning from medium agrresive ended total agressive. and the GÇ 84 seems like irritat some sensitive skinned fellows at daily shave so ı couldn't risk it. On teh other hand merkür 34 c and chatsworth handled ej 89 doesn't seem like vast improvement from my current situation. So ı decided the try rockwell 6c which reviewed begins very mild and and medium agressive with its changable plate system. I hope ıts give me a sweet spot for every occation ( dough ı dont have so high hopes, if it was so good everyone has get one and done with the razor search).

Thanks again for every one for your kind replies. They where very informative, important an enlighting for me. And it feels very good and safe to found and reach someone experienced when one needed.

Why are you doing three passes? This is ridiculously excessive, I only ever do two and get a really close shave, of course you are going to get irritation by shaving your face three times.
Depends on your beard. I typically do 4 passes with touch ups to get a close shave and I consider my beard average though grey now so tougher than it used to be. I typically never get irritation unless I’m careless.

Wish I could get a close shave with two passes but it’s just not possible. Count yourself lucky.

I used a DE-89 for almost 10 years until the inevitable zamak problems made me look elsewhere. I tried the RazorRock Game Changer 84 and 68 and the Mamba 70, but found the answer in a Feather AS/D2. The DE-89 nicked me every week or two. With the Feather I can go a year without drawing blood and get a closer and more comfortable shave to boot. The only drawback is that my wife saw the order on Amazon -- $165!!!! -- and she now insists she can buy anything she wants.

But then, that's been the case since the preacher said, "I now pronounce you man and wife."

. . . But after ı read posts ı gradulally belived the ej 89 is not just the begginner razor, but a lifetime razor. . . .
That is certainly true. It is Zamak, chrome-plated, but it will last for many years before it corrodes, if you take care of it well. For straight razors, there is a saying:

. . . "There is no such thing as a "beginner's razor". A razor is either sharp, or dull."

The part of the DE89 that fails, from corrosion, is the threaded post. Put a little heavy grease (Vaseline, "petroleum jelly", Cosmoline, "plumber's grease", silicone dielectric grease) on the post occasionally, to prevent corrosion. This problem may be fixed in recent DE89's, by using a brass post.

If you can afford a Merkur Progress, that will let you adjust the blade gap, according to your blade, and your skin. You can reduce the gap for very sharp blades, or very tender skin. And increase the gap for not-so-sharp blades, and tougher skin. Read this, and watch the video, if you get one:

. Charles

I never did get along with the DE89….always left me with irritation. In the beginning the 34c performed much better for me as I learned the art of safety razor shaving.

Another good razor is the Henson AL13 mild or medium. Super easy to shave with and provides excellent shaves.

RazorRock 68 or 84 would work well too….maybe start with the 68.

Another sleeper that shaves well is the Fatip Gentile. Inexpensive but solid.
I can’t disagree at all with this post. I would consider the Henson medium or a Merkur 23c. I have both and use them if my skin is sensitive or whatever, I love both razors (34c as well). If I wanted to really change it up, Gillette tech.

Top Bottom