What's new

Which one should I buy after 34c?

You’ll find that there are lots of opinions. But I got the Rockwell 6s as my second razor after Merkur and have been very happy with it. Much smoother and adjustable

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm a vintage Gillette guy and heartily recommend the Red Tip Superspeed for we heavy-bearded sorts. A user grade Red Tip shouldn't set you back much and should be easy to flip on the BST if you don't like it. But you just might...

If you feel you might be adjusting during the shave, you will appreciate the convenience of simply twisting the knob on the Progress. You can efficiently remove 4 days growth in first pass at a higher setting, then dial down for more gentle subsequent passes. Turning the knob is much more convenient than changing the plates midway. Really, you can't go wrong with either one.

So which one would you choose between rockwell 6c and merkur progress?

A good friend of mine that I initiated to wet shaving approx one year ago, was suffering from the same problem, "flat growing hairs specially on neck area". I gifted him a Rockwell 6C. This is his only DE Razor. He started with plate #3 and moved to #4 on his next shave. On his third shave he decided that plate #6 is his sweet spot.

Why I advise 6C over Progress ?

I personnaly prefer Progress. On the other hand, I observed that 6C higher (aggressive) plates is a relief for flat growing hairs and weekly shavers . In furthereance some Progress setting dials don't start with +/1 which is a visual enoyance for perfectionist. In reality it is not big deal. You can (with care) turn the handle until it shows + or 1 at the lowes setting.

If you pick Progress settings starting from #4 will do the same job as Rockwell 6C plate #5 or #6.

Any adjustable will serve you to find your sweet spot setting/(s). By the time if you change the frequency of your shave, lower setting will help you.

A last advice, good face prep. is much more important for the flat growing hairs. Get a decent soap and stick to this unique soap for a long while. This will help you to be more familiar with your soap. Soap wise Tabac will be my recommendation. Face lathering instead of bowl lathering will help you if you are Ok with face lathering. Small knoted and lofted boar brush will help to leviate the flat growing hairs. My brush recommendation will be Omega 10051 Boar Brush which a budget one.
Blade wise I will repeate to stick one blade formula. relatively sharper blades will work better (GP or GSB will work better compared to Derby Usta or Rapira). My recommentation will be GP (worked increadibly fine on my friend). but as always YMMV, please feel free to substitute with any blade you prefer.

artistry.jpeg

A last word, don't worry over the time you will acquire a Progress and you won't regret it :thumbup:

Razorock either GC (gamechanger) or Lupo and get the extra plate in the other example GC 68 and the 84 plate try both a bunch :)
would be under $100 and IMHO one of the best bang for buck quality (forgot the two lupo plate numbers 72 and 95 I think )
for me having both plates would be well worth it so you really know what you like then decide to keep it or sell off :)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Razorock GameChanger .84P with a safety bar is far better than the Progress or the Rockwell 6S.
No YMMV. That's a given. CNC, not Zamak or MIM mold. Superior head design as well.

The Razorock GameChanger .84P with a safety bar is far better than the Progress or the Rockwell 6S.
No YMMV. That's a given. CNC, not Zamak or MIM mold. Superior head design as well.
Many shavers who have tried both, including me, would disagree. Don't get me wrong, I like both GCs I tried but I would rank them a notch under the Rockwell 6S. A slimmer head design (or whatever you consider superior) and 'higher' grade of SS or finishing does not objectively make a razor better. I get better shaves from the Rockwell and that's what matters in the end.. (I even prefer it over a couple of razors that are double the price)

I didn't use kai razor but I used feather. I think the two are close to each other. Feather is nice in terms of sharpness but not very good in terms of comfort. Of the blades I've used so far, I liked the gillette silver blue the most in terms of both comfort and sharpness.
Feather's are probably a little bit sharper than the Kai but they don't provide the same amount of blade exposure compared to a Kai blade. Like @Ron R mentioned earlier in this thread the Kai blades are a little bit wider compared to other DE blades which will give a mild razor more blade exposure & make that razor more efficient.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Feather's are probably a little bit sharper than the Kai but they don't provide the same amount of blade exposure compared to a Kai blade. Like @Ron R mentioned earlier in this thread the Kai blades are a little bit wider compared to other DE blades which will give a mild razor more blade exposure & make that razor more efficient.
You are correct in they are wider per side of a standard DE razor blade by 4.5/1000 of a inch(blade exposure) and they also have a little more longevity from my experiences.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have no issues getting a great shave out of my 34C but I'm going to try some Kai blades myself.
They also work well in mild razors that don't seem to get a lot of attention sitting idle in a drawer, it awakened a lot of my good vintage and a few modern razors that seem to perform a little better with the Kai SS blade from my experiences.

Many shavers who have tried both, including me, would disagree. Don't get me wrong, I like both GCs I tried but I would rank them a notch under the Rockwell 6S. A slimmer head design (or whatever you consider superior) and 'higher' grade of SS or finishing does not objectively make a razor better. I get better shaves from the Rockwell and that's what matters in the end.. (I even prefer it over a couple of razors that are double the price)
Just curious which GC did you have ? Or both ? And what plate # for the Rockwell did you find compares/matches the 68 and 84 ?
Not doubting just curious

They also work well in mild razors that don't seem to get a lot of attention sitting idle in a drawer, it awakened a lot of my good vintage and a few modern razors that seem to perform a little better with the Kai SS blade from my experiences.
Just placed an order for 50 Kai blades & a La Toja cream from Amazon.

Just curious which GC did you have ? Or both ? And what plate # for the Rockwell did you find compares/matches the 68 and 84 ?
Not doubting just curious
I had both the .68 and .84 heads, back then I shaved every 2-3 days so gave away the .68 as it required too much buffing. The .68 felt close to the 3 plate, the .84 slightly more blade feel than plate 5 but still very smooth. While the GCs do shave very nicely, I find the Rockwell shaves more intuitively and is less likely to cause irritation. As of late, my Henson AL13 medium has taken over from the Rockwell but I still have three 6Ss left in the den..

Following. I’m in the same boat. Ready to move on from the 34C and have a course beard. Plus I shave daily since I’m in the military. I’m leaning towards the Feather AS-D2 right now. Didn’t know if I should skip lower cost options and consider a Blackbird, Timeless or Wolfman. Open to suggestions!
Check this thread. Tons of useful info.

I'm an AS-D2 user and really like it. You do need to be focussed when using it with respect to angle or it won't cut as efficiently.

Top Bottom