What's new

Which one should I buy after 34c?

Hello to everyone. I have been shaving traditionally for about a year. I used edwin jagger de89 vs 34c. I liked the 34c shaver better. and the only tool I still have is the 34c. I used to shave daily, but now I shave every 3 or 4 days. It is not more efficient than 34c in 3 days of shaving. My beard is thick and bushy. my beard under the neck is flat. Which one between merkur progress and muhle rocca will solve my problem?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would recommend a Kai blade for your 34c because it will add a little more blade feel because it is a wider blade by 4.5/1000 of inch per side or 9/1000" over all. It will bring your 34c up a notch in aggression & efficentcy and your Edwin Jagger De 89 might perform better. I would buy a tuck or 2 of the Kai blades for mild razors that are still enjoyable!
If you want a much better built razor that has a excellent blade clamping I would buy a Razorock Lupo .72 or .95 and that will just be above the 34c in efficentcy and aggression, it has about 2/1000 blade exposure where the Merkur 34c is about neutral. The RR Lupo are made from 316 stainless steel and are designed excellent and easy to shave under the nose area in my opinion. I have the 2nd gen Razorock Lupo.72 and it performs excellent and seems to catch my flat laying whiskers OK.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide.jpg
Have some great shaves!

I can highly recommend the Progress a very versatile razor which allows you to experience the different blade gaps another very good option could be the Razorock Lupo 72 or 95 very efficient but smooth
progress was actually my first and only choice. but the chronic problems of adjustable tools make me think. For example, the problem I hear most about progress is the calibration problem. I don't have much idea how users solved this problem. My opinion about the rocca is that it is stainless steel and gives an effective close shave.

I have had both the Progress and Rocca.....still have the Rocca. You will find the Rocca more efficient than the 34c (have one of those as well) and still pretty smooth. The Rocca is in my top tier daily rotation razors. The Progress is s a very good razor, but the head is too large and the handle a little bit slippery. Plus, I prefer stainless steel razors.

I don't believe you would regret the Rocca. It's a great performer.

I have had both the Progress and Rocca.....still have the Rocca. You will find the Rocca more efficient than the 34c (have one of those as well) and still pretty smooth. The Rocca is in my top tier daily rotation razors. The Progress is s a very good razor, but the head is too large and the handle a little bit slippery. Plus, I prefer stainless steel razors.

I don't believe you would regret the Rocca. It's a great performer.
thank you for your comment 👍

I second the recommendation to try the Kai blade. It really "woke up" the 34C. I have used both the Progress and the Rocca. They are both excellent, and I couldn't recommend one over the other. They are both aesthetically beautiful, and both perform well. For me, the Progress gives a closer shave. But that's just me. Can't go wrong with either choice.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I am not a fan of vintage safe razors yet as I am new to traditional shaving. thank you for your comment.
Try a vintage Gillette like a Super Speed flare tip and you will instantly become a fan. Another recommendation for vintage, they really knew how to make 'em back then, that's why they're so popular.

Kai bıçağını denemek için öneriyi ikinci olarak yapıyorum. 34C'yi gerçekten "uyandırdı". Hem Progress hem de Rocca'yı kullandım. İkisi de mükemmel ve birini diğerine tavsiye edemem. İkisi de estetik açıdan güzel ve ikisi de iyi performans gösteriyor. Benim için Progress daha yakın bir tıraş sağlıyor. Ama bu sadece benim. Her iki seçimde de yanlış gidemem.
I didn't use kai razor but I used feather. I think the two are close to each other. Feather is nice in terms of sharpness but not very good in terms of comfort. Of the blades I've used so far, I liked the gillette silver blue the most in terms of both comfort and sharpness.

Try a vintage Gillette like a Super Speed flare tip and you will instantly become a fan. Another recommendation for vintage.
I'll definitely try the vintage safety razors later. but right now my priority is modern safety razors.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I followed your path and then immediately turned down the vintage road, and *mostly* I haven't looked back (or is it forward) to the moderns. That said, I prefer the Game Changer (GC) series -- both the .68 (for when I'm feeling "mild") and the .84 (for when I'm feeling "less mild"). I'd try a GC in an Open Comb....just for a change of pace....maybe the GC .68 open comb. They aren't terribly costly (relatively speaking), but you may discover you like them better than the 34c -- I know I do.

And when you go vintage, don't be surprised if you "misplace" your moderns.

progress was actually my first and only choice. but the chronic problems of adjustable tools make me think. For example, the problem I hear most about progress is the calibration problem. I don't have much idea how users solved this problem. My opinion about the rocca is that it is stainless steel and gives an effective close shave.
I hear you, however personally I never encountered any issues with the progress but I know it's an existing problem as for the Rocca I have that one as well.. at least the V4 head attached on my ikon 85mm SS handle and its an excellent shaver I would call it a very smooth medium my guess the blade gap sits in the 0.70 range which isn't that far from the 34C I'd say its one step above basically equal efficency to my lupo 72

Following. I’m in the same boat. Ready to move on from the 34C and have a course beard. Plus I shave daily since I’m in the military. I’m leaning towards the Feather AS-D2 right now. Didn’t know if I should skip lower cost options and consider a Blackbird, Timeless or Wolfman. Open to suggestions!

For example, the problem I hear most about progress is the calibration problem. I don't have much idea how users solved this problem. My opinion about the rocca is that it is stainless steel and gives an effective close shave.
There is no calibration problem with the Progress but the settings vary between razors; they don't zero at the same point. Just bear in mind that the numbering is relative and you can return to your preferred setting(s) anytime.
If you are considering the Rocca also look at the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 which is very similar.

I'm not familiar with either Muhle or Merkur offering. However, I recently tried a Fatip Piccolo. It was fantastic! Since you're looking to cut down several days' growth, you may want to look that way. At a minimum, it's very solidly constructed and it's more cost-effective than either of the Muhle or Merkur models. In case you don't choose to keep the Fatip, you're likely to find a buyer on the BST fairly easily.

Top Bottom