What's new

Which one of these blades will I like the most?

In my new Merkur 1904 coming today? I got one each from tryablade.com. I'm like a little kid on Christmas day.
Gillette - 7 0'Clock - Super Stainless 1
Shark - Super Stainless 1
Polsilver - Super Iridium 1
Feather - New Hi-Stainless 1
Gillette - Rubie Platinum 1
Gillette - Silver Blue 1
ASTRA - Superior Stainless

I predict either the Rubie or the Polsilver. My current blade is the 7 O'clock yellow.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green SS

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Gillette Silver Blue (Russian) is all i use but the one you will like best is the one you like best.

I used the GSB and it was even better than the Gillette Sharpedge Yellow--but not by much. What impressed me was the appearance of the blade. This could easily be my goto blade.
PS: After the shave I splashed on some AV Ice Blue and there was ZERO burn. That's never happened before.

Last edited:
I used the GSB and it was even better than the Gillette Sharpedge Yellow--but not by much. What impressed me was the appearance of the blade. This could easily be my goto blade.
PS: After the shave I splashed on some AV Ice Blue and there was ZERO burn. That's never happened before.
I use both Yellows & GSB. (often in a Fatip OC)

Whereas Yellows stay consistent within the period of their use, GSB varies substantially. On its initial use, GSB might be the smoothest blade - bar none! But within the next few shaves the sharpness and roughness will increase, and it can develop a propensity to nick.

I believe the characteristics above are caused by GSB having a substantial Teflon (or other) coating, which quickly wears with further shaves. It then becomes more "Nacet-like", of sorts. Early-on, I was really smitten with the initial shaves with a GSB blade. But now I can sort of sense an artificial smoothness with that first shave, rather than a natural smoothness like I get with Yellows or Polsilver, and also I am not fond of the way they quickly get sharper and (to me) a bit scratchy.

For this reason I no longer regularly shave with GSB as a blade I'll use multiple times, for my usual 4-6 shaves per blade. I still find it an interesting blade to do a "one & out" (once in awhile), to feel the immense smoothness of the pristine coated blade. But I don't enjoy keeping them in the razor much longer than that.

Ironically, as I was trying to figure out the blade's "artificially smooth - then scratchy sharp" characteristics, wondering if it all was in my head, I came across the GSB blade test at Refined Shave, and his testing seems to validate what I was feeling.

Anyway, I still have a hundred pack and enjoy using them occasionally. The initial shave from them is unique enough that I do desire it from time to time, so they'll likely always be in my stash. By recounting my experience, I do not want to detract from yours. You may develop a real affinity for them, including for multiple shaves; many have, and they're one of the highest rated and most beloved blades on the forum. So good luck, and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it depends on my prep. If I am in a hurry I tend to use a more forgiving blade, but if I hot towel & proraso I’ll bust out the feather. Out of your choices though.....Gillette silver blue!

Feather
***** Sharp
*** Comfortable
*** Long-lasting

GSB
**** Sharp
**** Comfortable
**** Long-lasting

Polsilver
*** Sharp
***** Comfortable
***** Long-lasting

Doing a comparison between Super Iridium, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, and Nacet at the moment. Too soon for me to make a different decision (fully stocked with Super Iridiums), but have discovered that the razor I use makes an appreciable difference. The Nacet in my DE89 was meh, but performed very well in my Super Speed. Hadn't really realize how much of a difference there could be with the same blade. If I hadn't tried the Nacet in my Super Speed, I would have discounted it all together.

Today I used an Astra Stainless and it was the best yet! Better (smoother mostly) than GSB, Personna, and 7 O'clock yellow! This review was right on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom