What's new

Which Old Film Cameras Would You Like To See In Digital Form?

I, too, would love to see a digital versions of some of the classic Kodak cameras. I have a personal fondness for the Kodak Duaflex
proxy.php

which was what my father had when I was growing up.

JR

I don't care about the retro look that much. What I care about is a good button and dials layout, so that I can avoid diving into the menu system. I want to set and check the basic settings by just looking at the camera, without having to look at a LCD screen.

Eeyore, you hit upon something that I think is actually driving the retro movement somewhat. Sure, the look is the main thing but some cameras are so.small that manual contols are not feasible unless you go through menus. Ergonomic they are not.

Along with the looks I noticed that many manufacturers are touting analogue dials and control buttons. Many are going to adjustable rings around the lens bodies as well. This was largely ignored for years in the digital boom
Hopefully we get the best of both worlds going forward.

What I really want is someone to figure out some sort of digital back that can be fitted to an older camera. You can currently buy digital Medium Format backs for cameras like the Mamiya RZ for a VERRYYYYYYYYY high price. A back with limited menu stuff (like basic play back) that could attach to my Nikon F2 would be awesome.

Legion

Staff member
What I really want is someone to figure out some sort of digital back that can be fitted to an older camera. You can currently buy digital Medium Format backs for cameras like the Mamiya RZ for a VERRYYYYYYYYY high price. A back with limited menu stuff (like basic play back) that could attach to my Nikon F2 would be awesome.

They made it... kind of. :lol:

$F90DIGI.jpg

This is another beauty that caught my attention years ago. The Rollei 16. I first noticed it on The Night Stalker series. Carried by intrepid and disheveled reporter Karl Kolchak like most I thought it was some type of 110 film model. Later I found it was the Rollei. And it was considered a Cadillac amongst sub miniature cameras. You can still buy good ones on eBay and load film in the cartridges from slit down 35mm film but wouldn't a digital version be a hoot?

Rollei 16
proxy.php

Anything with the name Leica but I don't know if they offer any these days. I have an older one and there is no substitute for good German optics.

Legion

Staff member
Anything with the name Leica but I don't know if they offer any these days. I have an older one and there is no substitute for good German optics.

There have been several digital Leica M cameras, and they look pretty much how M's have looked since the 50's. As well as the regular model(s) they have one that can only shoot B&W, and even a limited edition one that has no screen on the back.

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/leica-m-edition-60/

There have been several digital Leica M cameras, and they look pretty much how M's have looked since the 50's. As well as the regular model(s) they have one that can only shoot B&W, and even a limited edition one that has no screen on the back.

Thanks for the link David, I'll check that out.

If someone made a monochrome sensor camera (and matching RAW converter) for a reasonable price, I would definitely be interested.

Top Bottom