What's new

Which Of These Zenith Handles Would You Buy & Why?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like tall handles. I hold the narrow spot on one side with tip of index finger and thumb, and on the other side with the length of my middle finger. I can then easily flip the brush from pointing upward or outward depending upon whether lathering my neck or face. Similar to photos I saw earlier about flipping a short handled razor.

Sounds like a good reason to me.

I have short and tall handles and like both. What I don't have are handles with the shapes of the 506 and 507 brushes (above in linked post). Would I like either of those shapes? I don't know, but I think I might.

Another option for me would be to buy a 507 or 506 type brush in a non-Manchurian knot for its handle, to see if I like the handle. However, I really have "enough" boars, and I don't want a synthetic. I find the 507 more visually appealing than the 507, but I like the look of both.

I have synthetics but I never use them. Why buy more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Sounds like a good reason to me.

I have short and tall handles and like both. What I don't have are handles with the shapes of the 506 and 507 brushes (above in linked post). Would I like either of those shapes? I don't know, but I think I might.

Another option for me would be to buy a 507 or 506 type brush in a non-Manchurian knot for its handle, to see if I like the handle. However, I really have "enough" boars, and I don't want a synthetic. I find the 507 more visually appealing than the 507, but I like the look of both.

I have synthetics but I never use them. Why buy more.

Happy shaves,

Jim
By tall, I was referring to what I saw labeled as tall in various links in this thread, i.e., the 507. It's narrow waist, along with slowly sloping shoulders towards the back allows for easy flipping. The 507, to me, seems more graceful, with flowing lines. The 506 would seem to be gripped by finger tips on the waist, with the bulb resting against the palm. The 506 would have more dramatic wood grain because of its rapidly changing widths.

If you decide to purchase a boar to see if you like the 507 handle, the Omega Pro 10098 has a very similarly shaped handle.

I like my Zenith brushes. The handle I prefer is the black one in the middle. That brush also happens to be one of my very favourite brushes all categories. It's an extra soft horse hair brush with a lot of backbone and supersoft tips.

IMG_20180816_205045.jpg

I like my Zenith brushes. The handle I prefer is the black one in the middle. That brush also happens to be one of my very favourite brushes all categories. It's an extra soft horse hair brush with a lot of backbone and supersoft tips.

View attachment 905137
Is there a chance to share the height of each the handles you have? I am very interested to the one on the right of the Black horse brush.

B17, because I don't yet have one, and I've ceased to relish my victuals until I do. M7 for all the same reasons.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
B17, because I don't yet have one, and I've ceased to relish my victuals until I do. M7 for all the same reasons.

Zeniths.2.Wood.640.4-18.JPG

I like both, but I think I like the taller one with the nickel ring a smidgeon more.

Zenith M7.jpg

Good choice, the M7. It looks really nice. I don't have it in the resin, but the wood (above) is the same handle in wood.

proxy.php

What about this one?

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 906743

I like both, but I think I like the taller one with the nickel ring a smidgeon more.

View attachment 906745

Good choice, the M7. It looks really nice. I don't have it in the resin, but the wood (above) is the same handle in wood.

proxy.php

What about this one?

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have the 505 in silvertip, and like the handle a lot. I also have the big scrubby with an aluminum handle, and always felt it was out of balance. Between the B17, and B22, I agree with you, the taller of the two looks like a better balance of handle to loft. That M7 is really calling my name, may be a "Goldilocks" brush. The "scrubby" style might not be for me, they don't paint well and seem to push lather around. As a result I don't use them often enough to break them in as well as my other boars. The buy them all advice has merit, perhaps just not all at once.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have the 505 in silvertip, and like the handle a lot. I also have the big scrubby with an aluminum handle, and always felt it was out of balance. Between the B17, and B22, I agree with you, the taller of the two looks like a better balance of handle to loft. That M7 is really calling my name, may be a "Goldilocks" brush. The "scrubby" style might not be for me, they don't paint well and seem to push lather around. As a result I don't use them often enough to break them in as well as my other boars. The buy them all advice has merit, perhaps just not all at once.

I like all of my Zeniths, but some more than others.

3Boars.Mondial.BigScrubby.+.640.8-18.JPG

The Big Scrubby is in front, and I like it. I like the slightly taller lofted Zenith to its right better. My favorite of the three is probably the Mondial.

Not saying I don't like all of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The B2 is my favorite Zenith boar as well. The Mondial is the same brush as the ABC, and they are both excellent brushes!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How does the Mondial differ from the Zeniths?

It's nothing much if you're trying to distinguish them.

I thought both were perfect from the box, but maybe the Mondial was a bit softer to begin with. All were soft. I don't know. I just like the Mondial a tiny bit more. All my Zeniths are great brushes.

Jade.3Zeniths.4Boars.4Brushes.640.4-18.JPG

All of them seem like premium boars to me. I'm so glad I got onto these non-Omega Italian boars. Not that some Omegas - the Jade above particularly - aren't super brushes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

img_20180816_205045-jpg.905137

I read this morning your review of the extra soft horse brush in the foreground, and decided I should try one. I also like the looks of that tall black handle. It's a Zenith handle size and shape I've not tried yet and believe I'd like. Fortunately the eBay vendor I buy from is out of the brush in that handle so I'll have to think about it and wait, but it is a very tempting brush.

There are a couple of the extra soft horses available but I've not pushed any buttons today.

And here I was thinking I was over BAD.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I read this morning your review of the extra soft horse brush in the foreground, and decided I should try one. I also like the looks of that tall black handle. It's a Zenith handle size and shape I've not tried yet and believe I'd like. Fortunately the eBay vendor I buy from is out of the brush in that handle so I'll have to think about it and wait, but it is a very tempting brush.

There are a couple of the extra soft horses available but I've not pushed any buttons today.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hello Jim, I just posted a suggestion in the SOTD were you might find the brush. It's a great brush IMO.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Can that ebay seller beat $32 delivered?

Top Bottom