What's new

Which next soap?

I love my tabac, but I need to try something else too. I can't decide between the following:

1. Pre de Provence
2. D.R. Harris Arlington
3. D.R. Harris Marlborough

I'm leaning towards the DR Harris, but am a little hesitant because I have some sensitivity issues. Two mamma bear's soaps irritated me as did Musgo Real Shaving Cream, and TOBS Rose cream.

Anyone experience any sensitivity issues to any of these three soaps I've listed?

Last edited:
DR Harris is an equal performer perhaps better than Tabac (there I said it ) :biggrin: but in the scent department DR Harris is more subdued.
But you have some great choices listed there making it hard to choose one ... Good Luck with that :wink:

DR Harris is an equal performer perhaps better than Tabac (there I said it ) :biggrin: but in the scent department DR Harris is more subdued.
But you have some great choices listed there making it hard to choose one ... Good Luck with that :wink:

The Harris Arlington soap is my favourite soap! The performance and scent are fantastic!

I skip the other suggestions (option 5), because that will just lead to a list of brands you can find in any thread of this kind. I hauled out the ole portable calculator, and asked it to draw a random number for me. Between 0 and 0.999, it returned 0.313. Multiplying by 4, adding one, and taking the integer part yields 2. So congratulations, you should try a puck of Institut Karité! :cool:

DR Harris Arlington should be first from the choices on your list. Easily a top performer and yes it's better than Tabac (I said it too).

Then PdP. Great soap and the container is perfect for travel. Nice clean masculine scent.

The scent of Provence Sante is too over the top (almost feminine) for me but it lathers well.

Gotta try MWF. Easily one of the best of the best.

1. Pre de Provence - my pick. Nice light scent and unbeatable performance.
2. Institut Karite - strong powdery scent that some dislike. Excellent soap though.
3. Provence Sante - another top soap. Maybe a very VERY small notch below PdP. But barely.
4. D.R. Harris - I have Arlington and love it.

You have a number of excellent soaps on your list. Any of them will perform beautifully. PdP would be the first place to go. Most French soaps seem to be mildly scented and give fantastically comfortable shaves.

I also like PdP and Harris Arlington. My suggestion, however, is eShave Mandarin.

MWF would make a good addition to your list as a "one day down the line" soap.

-Andy

Ok. So I'm now deciding between DR Harris Arlington or Marlborough and Pre de Provence.

I would love to try the DR Harris, but am a little hesitant because I have some sensitivity issues. Two mamma bear's soaps irritated me as did Musgo Real Shaving Cream.

Anyone experience any sensitivity issues to any of these three soaps?

First time I used Harris lavender I felt a slight tingling, not enough to stop shaving, but something was going on.
I used Marlborough pretty often and don't have any issues.

PdP I have no issues with and is a great soap especially if you tend to have problems with dry skin.

Last edited:
I have the DR Harris Arlington and it does give me some irritation, and this is irritation from the soap itself. I do not know if it is from the scent or what, but it is there. It is not so bad that I quit using it, but I would not be able to use it every day. I use it maybe once a week or so just because it lathers so well and has a nice pleasant scent.

I haven't tried PdP, but I have tried 2 other French soaps: Institut Karite and L'occitane.
The L'occitane is great and gives a nice irritation free shave, and smells amazing. The IK did irritate my skin quite a bit and I ended up trading it.

Hope you have good luck with whatever you try.

J.

PdP is a great soap. I used it today in fact. I love the scent and the shea butter seems to really help. It proves that a soap need not have tallow to be top-tier

Ok. So I'm now deciding between DR Harris Arlington or Marlborough and Pre de Provence.

I would love to try the DR Harris, but am a little hesitant because I have some sensitivity issues. Two mamma bear's soaps irritated me as did Musgo Real Shaving Cream.

Anyone experience any sensitivity issues to any of these three soaps?

I've got a stick of DRH Marlborough coming in later this week/ early next week, and some tabac a few ddays thereafter.

I can do a comparison and report back here for you if you'd like.

I've got a stick of DRH Marlborough coming in later this week/ early next week, and some tabac a few ddays thereafter.

I can do a comparison and report back here for you if you'd like.

I can do comparison now for you... DR Harris works really well and (as RichGem put it) "you won't smell like an old German man doused in old man scent. Tabac on the other hand..."

Top Bottom