What's new

Which musical instrument should I try to learn?

My wife is a music teacher, middle school band, and has numerous wind instruments home for the pandemic. She has been teaching me the alto sax. Why? Because it is the easiest to learn, so says my teacher. I mean, really easy to learn. Once you know how to read music and find the keys, the sky is the limit. You MUST follow a good lesson plan/book and PRACTICE for any instrument. Besides, the sax is cool, thus I am cooler because I play the sax.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Piano: I say no to that.

Clarinet: Reed is a problem. They here made me think against it.

Sax: Thinking about that.

Trom and Coronet: Learning from you guys. They sound good.

Accordion: Like a piano, which I didn’t like. But I could play at the German dance place.

My own desires: To play for myself only. Or to play for a ‘scene’ in a movie. That means for a short time only in public.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Some incarnation of the Trumpet, if it be a cornet or whatever. You'll need to get your lips in shape though...practice on the mouthpiece only until you can do different tones with just your lips, like on a bugle without the keys. But I had four years of instruction and played in a AAA band band back then. I really, really, really need to brush up on reading music.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I played the frech horn (double, Bd & F) for decades and really enjoyed it. Started playing in high school. By the time it entered university, I was playing professionally in some local orchestras. That helped pay my uni fees. I also did a tour of the US playing with the then Australian Youth Orchestra.

I continued playing until my 40's when business commitments began restricting my ability to keep practicing and playing. I ended up giving my frech horn to a young up-and-coming player who couldn't afford a good instrument.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Harmonica. It fits in a pocket and you can pick out a song note by note and there are tons of YouTube videos to move on from there.

This guy Adam Gussow does a great job at teaching . . . and no . . . no no I am as far away as you are on this.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Tagelharpa is something new to me.

French horn: expensive? yes?

Bugle: A bigger coronet I reckon.

The violin is a great instrument. I have been playing the violin since I was 8 years old. Be prepared to sound bad at first and practice a lot.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
That Concertina is Different.

concertina.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The cornet is essentially the same as the trumpet. With weekly lessons you could play decently on the trumpet or trombone if you practice at least 30 minutes a day.

Are you dedicated enough to take that schedule on?

The violin is considerably harder than wind instruments. You'll be able to play a scale in tune after years of lessons/practice.

Of the band instruments, sax is probably the easiest to play with some degree of efficiency, but it will still take years and a good teacher.

Guitar is probably the easiest instrument to play reasonably well in a relatively short time. Harmonica and uke are also good choices.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My wife is a music teacher, middle school band, and has numerous wind instruments home for the pandemic. She has been teaching me the alto sax. Why? Because it is the easiest to learn, so says my teacher. I mean, really easy to learn. Once you know how to read music and find the keys, the sky is the limit. You MUST follow a good lesson plan/book and PRACTICE for any instrument. Besides, the sax is cool, thus I am cooler because I play the sax.

I never was much good on reed instruments...I sound like a wounded guinea pig.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Doing 30 minutes a day is fine with me. I hope the others in the building won’t complain to the landlord.

I learned here to stay away for Reed instruments. The Sax is a reed instrument.

Tomorrow I’ll go to the music store and get their advice.

I know that you said the piano is out for you, but if you're going to the music store you could take a look at an electronic keyboard. They don't take up much space, you can turn the volume up or down, and the keys should have a light action, easy to press.

I recommend bagpipes!
Beat me to it! They are rather expensive, though. But they are really wonderful in the right hands.

I was a music major. Wife too. She's a music teacher. So, have some perspective here.

Tin whistle. Seriously. No joke. Played well, they sound really really nice. Cheap, portable too.

Expanding on that, flute. My wife plays. Again, played well, sound great. Lots of options here in material and range. Wood flutes are warmer sounding. I've heard flute ensembles play Barber's Adagio. Sounded surprisingly good.

Lap or 'limerick' harp.

Hammered dulcimer. Love the way these sound. You can build these from kits if you like.

Mountain dulcimer. Less complex than a guitar.

Marimba.

Theremin.

Aulos (lol)

Voice. Easiest to learn, hardest to master. This is my instrument. Sang in choir through college and professionally for a decade after.

How do you like to play? Do you prefer plucked, keyed, blown, struck, bowed, other?

Top Bottom