What's new

Which musical instrument should I try to learn?

Maybe try a tin whistle or a recorder. Cheap recorders like we all try in elementary school sound awful. A decent quality recorder, played well, can sound quite good, especially in the Alto or even Tenor range. This will let you work on fingering and musicianship without needing to worry about embouchure. If you find you like it, them maybe move to a flute.

Bugles have no keys so the only way to control pitch is by the amount of air and mainly the embouchure. If that's what you want to focus on, go for it.

Mandolin is fun. It’s tuned like a violin but has frets so easier to learn. Some decent ones aren’t terribly expensive.

The cornet is essentially the same as the trumpet. With weekly lessons you could play decently on the trumpet or trombone if you practice at least 30 minutes a day.

Are you dedicated enough to take that schedule on?

The violin is considerably harder than wind instruments. You'll be able to play a scale in tune after years of lessons/practice.

Of the band instruments, sax is probably the easiest to play with some degree of efficiency, but it will still take years and a good teacher.

Guitar is probably the easiest instrument to play reasonably well in a relatively short time. Harmonica and uke are also good choices.

This.

As a former violin player, and fairly proficient guitar and uke player, the “barriers entry” for those instruments (and the harmonica) are pretty low. In other words, you’ll be able to make music that sounds decent and others want to hear with relatively low effort. Playing the violin requires technical mastery and precision before you can even play a scale in tune.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I am still in confusion. I called the Music store. He said a key board (piano) will cost me only $200.00

I looked up ‘mandolin’ to see what it is.

How about if I buy a mouthpiece for a trumpet to see if I can defeat the embouchure?

mandolin .jpg

I am still in confusion. I called the Music store. He said a key board (piano) will cost me only $200.00...
An electronic piano is more expensive than that, because it has a keyboard with mechanical hammers to simulate the touch and feel of a real acoustic piano keyboard with the full 88 keys. Electricronic pianos usually have more expensive electronics, also, to give a sound that more closely simulates an acoustic piano. Some electronic pianos have a cabinet that resembles an acoustic console piano.

A basic electronic keyboard has a keyboard that is like an organ or synthesizer, sometimes with fewer than 88 keys.

Electronic piano, with cabinet, for home use (more expensive):
1599713614350.png
Electronic stage piano for professional musicians (expensive):
1599714484514.png

Basic electronic keyboard (less expensive):

1599713855728.png

Last edited:
I looked up ‘mandolin’ to see what it is.

Do this! I bought a mandolin in January and am learning to play it. You can get a decent one for not too much money. You can play a wide variety of music on it - bluegrass, folk, country, rock, even some film scores (the theme from "Pirates of the Caribbean is especially fun). If it was good enough for Jimmy Page on "Battle of Evermore", it's good enough for the rest of us! If you decide to get one I recommend going to Elderly Instruments (online) and getting their beginner package. You'll get a really good mandolin that will last you long, long time, plus everything else you need. I didn't go this route and wish I had. Now I need to upgrade my mandolin, which would not be the case if I bought their package.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
There should be cheaper options on Mandolins or maybe look at a ukulele as another option.
Can you find them second hand?

There should be cheaper options on Mandolins or maybe look at a ukulele as another option.
Can you find them second hand?

You can absolutely find them secondhand. "Cheap" and "inexpensive" are relative terms. I only mentioned that particular mandolin package because it gets you a quality instrument plus gig bag, strap, tuner, picks, extra strings, and a "learn to play the mandolin" book.

I've tried piano, harmonica, tin whistle and a nice Seagull guitar.over the past 70 years. I'm like Charles Winchester on that episode of MASH. "I do not have the gift. I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music."

Top Bottom