What's new

Which lanolin soap to try first? (🐑 v 🐏)

With which sheep soap should I shave first?

• Mince words? Fah! (Mitchell's Wool Fat)

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Hashslingers shave much better! (Haslinger's Schafmilch)

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters
I don't think I've ever seen one where I live in the US.
This soap was sold by Connaught Shaving in the UK for quite a while at 2 sticks/£4 which was a good deal. Also sold by drugstores in Germany. This soap may be discontinued now, though. Imagine a cross between Tabac and MWF with a scent like regular bath soap and you would not be too far off.

They are both great soaps.

If your water is soft, try Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap first.
If your water is more on the hard side, try Haslinger Schafsmilch.

Mitchell’s is in my book a slightly better soap, but does not like hard water and needs to be used regularly (once a week) to keep it from drying out.
Haslinger deals better with hard water and is more tolerant of only occasional use.

B.

MWF...never tried the other.
Some will say to soak the puck for 24 hours, others say to load your brush while holding the soap upside down. Heck, for all I know somebody might suggest loading your MWF while standing on your head.
IMHO MWF loads and lathers just like Tabac. Yeah ..I would get the MWF

Well I prefer Haslinger to MWF for regular use. I like the scent better and MWF also leaves my face feeling a bit sticky.
But in terms of lather MWF makes denser lather than Haslinger and it's also a tad slicker.
Still both soaps provide a superb shave.

So far it looks like MWF is 2 votes ahead. There's still time to cast a vote, as I'm currently away from home so I won't be able to use either soap until Saturday night at the earliest. 🙂

I am truly appreciative of everyone's comments and votes. I will absolutely use the soap that wins the most votes for all of my shaves in April (well, starting Saturday night)!

For everyone who hasn't voted, yet:
1648764371163.gif

i was down to about 50% of my mwf and my haslinger sheep...i actually chopped them both up and put them both into my mwf ceramic dish....now i get to use both at once!

Thank you everyone for your votes! The voting has closed. The vote had been close initially, with plenty of lead changes. But in the end, one soap started pulling away and wound up winning by 16 percentage points!

Today was the first time I tried MWF. I bloomed it the same way I bloom TOBS and other triple milled hard soaps: I placed it face side down in my Captain's Choice lather bowl that had water just to the tops of the rings at the bottom of the bowl. I then brushed my teeth and showered before emptying the bloom water into an empty (yogurt) cup.

I loaded my presoaked 2-band SOC by swirling it across the bloomed puck face for a minute, since that's also how long I usually load TOBS and other triple milled soaps. (I realize MWF isn't triple milled, but I figured if I stuck to my usual method, I could then adjust my MWF method as needed in the future.)

To build my lather, I poured some of the bloom water back into my lather bowl while I whipped my brush in the bowl. It was probably enough lather for two to four more shaves! (Note to self, cut the loading time to 1/2 minute next time.)

I wound up with a good lather for my first pass. But before my second pass, the lather looked like it had dried out a bit. Still, it worked fine, due (no doubt) to MWF being slicker than an used car salesman turned politician conning the devil out of the title to hell. 😁

Thank you everyone for your votes! The voting has closed. The vote had been close initially, with plenty of lead changes. But in the end, one soap started pulling away and wound up winning by 16 percentage points!

Today was the first time I tried MWF. I bloomed it the same way I bloom TOBS and other triple milled hard soaps: I placed it face side down in my Captain's Choice lather bowl that had water just to the tops of the rings at the bottom of the bowl. I then brushed my teeth and showered before emptying the bloom water into an empty (yogurt) cup.

I loaded my presoaked 2-band SOC by swirling it across the bloomed puck face for a minute, since that's also how long I usually load TOBS and other triple milled soaps. (I realize MWF isn't triple milled, but I figured if I stuck to my usual method, I could then adjust my MWF method as needed in the future.)

To build my lather, I poured some of the bloom water back into my lather bowl while I whipped my brush in the bowl. It was probably enough lather for two to four more shaves! (Note to self, cut the loading time to 1/2 minute next time.)

I wound up with a good lather for my first pass. But before my second pass, the lather looked like it had dried out a bit. Still, it worked fine, due (no doubt) to MWF being slicker than an used car salesman turned politician conning the devil out of the title to hell. 😁
Glad you enjoyed the shave!

I started out the month full of optimism for MEF. To that end, I've been using MWF for all my shaves this month (I shave about every two or three days). Unfortunately, it's become a struggle. I bowl lather and get inconsistent lathers. The only consistency is that the lather dries really fast.

Though I plan to continue using MWF for the rest of the month, I am beginning to despair of being able to make a good lather with it that lasts throughout my shave. I am now eagerly looking forward to this month ending so I can move on from MWF (after having given it a fair shake). Even my lather from my last shave, which was my best lather with MWF to date as it was cushiony and slick when first made and then when rehydrated before the second pass, was drying out between passes. But it really shouldn't take over half a month of shaves (about two to every three days) to learn how to build a halfway decent lather with a shave soap.

Maybe MWF just doesn't work well with hard water. If that's the case, I would encourage those with hard water to use other soaps. I personally prefer TOBS, Tabac, and Captain's Choice, among others. They didn't take nearly as long to dial in and they created slick and cushioning lathers. Additionally, they never left my face feeling sticky after a shave.

I started out the month full of optimism for MEF. To that end, I've been using MWF for all my shaves this month (I shave about every two or three days). Unfortunately, it's become a struggle. I bowl lather and get inconsistent lathers. The only consistency is that the lather dries really fast.

Though I plan to continue using MWF for the rest of the month, I am beginning to despair of being able to make a good lather with it that lasts throughout my shave. I am now eagerly looking forward to this month ending so I can move on from MWF (after having given it a fair shake). Even my lather from my last shave, which was my best lather with MWF to date as it was cushiony and slick when first made and then when rehydrated before the second pass, was drying out between passes. But it really shouldn't take over half a month of shaves (about two to every three days) to learn how to build a halfway decent lather with a shave soap.

Maybe MWF just doesn't work well with hard water. If that's the case, I would encourage those with hard water to use other soaps. I personally prefer TOBS, Tabac, and Captain's Choice, among others. They didn't take nearly as long to dial in and they created slick and cushioning lathers. Additionally, they never left my face feeling sticky after a shave.
MWF lather is definitely harder to build with hard water. I don't worry about it drying out as I face-lather and always put a bit of water on my face and give the brush a quick swirl between passes whichever soap I am using.

Haslinger has been reformulated from its traditional recipe. I gave the new recipe a score of 80%, which is well below average in performance. Although it contains sheep milk and lanolin, I was not at all impressed with the post shave feel.

Mitchell's Wool Fat is a pretty good soap if you can lather it. I have tried over 200 soaps and of all of them, MWF was the most difficult to lather. I gave it away to someone who was using it every shave. It is a lot easier to develop a good lather if the puck is kept moist. If it dries out between shave, you are likely to have issues. Also if you have hard water, it is likely to be difficult to lather. Because of the difficulty in lathering, MFW scores even lower than Haslinger, although the post shave is somewhat better.

Top Bottom