What's new

Which knot from Rudy Vey?

I am on the market for a new custom brush and am considering going with Rudy. I just am unfamiliar with the knots he uses. I'm mostly a bowl latherer and want a 24mm bulb shaped knot. I like a soft brush with virtually no scritch, but use mostly soaps, so some backbone would be nice. I have a whipped dog knot and really like its softness, could maybe use more backbone.

Which knot? Loft?
are there any other custom makers I should consider for my needs?

He has a number of different options, although mostly uses TGN. Have one of his brushes with a TGN finest, and it has quite a bit of backbone, with no real scritch, although it took a number of shaves to bloom (and I think softened a tad). TGN also has a silvertip, but I don't know much about it (the finest seems really popular). Rudy also uses Shavemac knots, but the prices are a fair amount higher. I'm getting one from him in the near future, but the pricing is basically the same as getting a brush from shavemac. Of those, I think their standard silvertip, or D01 Three band would be great for what you want.

There are several other artisans doing nice work (Shaverjoe, Wolf Whiskers (currently on hiatus due to naval deployment)), but basically, they all have pretty much the same knots. I know Wolf Whiskers has had shavemac available, mostly uses TGN, not sure on Shaverjoe

I've heard good things about the tgn finest. Is it as soft as the whipped dog?
I don't have a whipped dog for comparison, but I have a 24x48 Finest in a Rudy Vey brush. I think the tips are soft, but it has a lot of backbone. It is a great knot for my preferences, but it doesn't come across as super soft in the way that some of my (less backboned) brushes do, though it would be a little more flexy if it were set at say 52 mm give or take.

Thanks guys, I just hate to go into it without any idea of what I want. Plus I don't want it to be perceived as rude to ask him how his knots compare to whipped dog.

Thanks guys, I just hate to go into it without any idea of what I want. Plus I don't want it to be perceived as rude to ask him how his knots compare to whipped dog.

I wouldn't be concerned. Not only is Rudy an honest and reputable artisan, he's an eager fellow wet shaving enthusiast. I also wouldn't be surprised if he would happily implant a Whipped Dog knot into your custom brush.

I've got two brushes from Rudy, one of them a 24mm TGN 2-band finest and the other a 20mm Shavemac D01 flat top.

I love both the brushes, but I'd probably recommend the TGN knot. It's awesome, especially with the price being so much lower than the Shavemac. Mine has incredibly soft tips but still has enough backbone to feel solid when face lathering.

He has a number of different options, although mostly uses TGN. Have one of his brushes with a TGN finest, and it has quite a bit of backbone, with no real scritch, although it took a number of shaves to bloom (and I think softened a tad). TGN also has a silvertip, but I don't know much about it (the finest seems really popular). Rudy also uses Shavemac knots, but the prices are a fair amount higher. I'm getting one from him in the near future, but the pricing is basically the same as getting a brush from shavemac. Of those, I think their standard silvertip, or D01 Three band would be great for what you want.

There are several other artisans doing nice work (Shaverjoe, Wolf Whiskers (currently on hiatus due to naval deployment)), but basically, they all have pretty much the same knots. I know Wolf Whiskers has had shavemac available, mostly uses TGN, not sure on Shaverjoe

ShaverJoe uses TGN knots as well. I am not sure about Rudy but Joe will put whatever knot you want in the brush. You can just go to TGN, pick a knot and when ordering with him, let him know exactly which knot you want and that is what you will get. Joe is also a great guy to deal with as I am sure Rudy is. Shoot Rudy a message and let him now what you are looking for. You don't know if you don't try right?

I've heard good things about the tgn finest. Is it as soft as the whipped dog?

I have a 24/48 whipped dog silvertip and a 24/48 Rudy vey tgn 2 band finest.

for a slightly exaggerated comparison, the WD is pillowy soft with no scritch and moderate backbone.

the tgn knot is very high quality, but in comparison feels like shaving with a brick. albeit a brick with a tiny pillow attached to it.

I have a 24/48 whipped dog silvertip and a 24/48 Rudy vey tgn 2 band finest.

for a slightly exaggerated comparison, the WD is pillowy soft with no scritch and moderate backbone.

the tgn knot is very high quality, but in comparison feels like shaving with a brick. albeit a brick with a tiny pillow attached to it.

A most unique, colorful and accurate comparison.:biggrin1:

+1. He has a plethora of choices from Muhle (synthetic), The Golden Nib and shavemac, and will guide you appropriately.

Rudy is a long-time member, friendly, and has a superlative reputation.

I didn't realize that Rudy had Synthetic Knots. I just shaved with a Muhle for the first time last night and was pretty impressed (although it was small...). This could be an interesting bit of sbad.

Also, I will second all the nice things you say about Rudy. He had a brush made and shipped for me faster than I've gotten other folks to return emails.

I have a RV brush with a24mm knot set at 45mm in TGN finest, it's an awesome brush lots of backbone and very soft. I face lather, if you bowl lather I would go with no less than a 24 and up and put the loft at 52, Rudy will give good advice.

Mine came in earlier this week, the TGN two band knot started out REALLY stiff, but it's bloomed out a bit and I've had a chance to use it twice now. Really enjoying it, and you can't beat
the look.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395531081.276411.jpg

Top Bottom