What's new

which is your favourite shaving foam & gel?

Barbasol original, hands down. It really needs a damp brush and a bowl in my opinion.

A good soap is fun, but can easily survive on Barbasol if I had to.

Barbasol and foamy. I feel that foamy has a little bit more residual slickness. But both are great.

The secret to all foams is water.

I’ll soon try Proraso foam, we’ll see.

lasta

Blade Biter
Barbasol and foamy. I feel that foamy has a little bit more residual slickness. But both are great.

The secret to all foams is water.

I’ll soon try Proraso foam, we’ll see.
Proraso smell great, but I still think Foamy is slicker.

Proraso is very airy and doesn't handle water as well.

I put up with it because the yellow is absolutely delicious!

I always notice foamy’s residual slickness when I’m splashing up water at the end of the shave. Not so much with Barbasol, but it doesn’t affect the shave.

Nice to know about Proraso, I bought one of each, green, red and yellow.

I’m in a foam kick right now, call me crazy. But I’m having nice shaves with it.

lasta

Blade Biter
I always notice foamy’s residual slickness when I’m splashing up water at the end of the shave. Not so much with Barbasol, but it doesn’t affect the shave.

Nice to know about Proraso, I bought one of each, green, red and yellow.

I’m in a foam kick right now, call me crazy. But I’m having nice shaves with it.
I have great shaves with them too.

Foamy is as slick as anything.

Half tempted to go brushless when all my soaps/creams are done.

ETA 6 years haha.

I have great shaves with them too.

Foamy is as slick as anything.

Half tempted to go brushless when all my soaps/creams are done.

ETA 6 years haha.
I’ve only tried foamy mentol. Scent is a little chemical but ok. I’ll soon try the original, that gets a lot of love.

Have you tried both? Totally different scent?

There’s sensitive too. Never tried that one.

There’s just something about these foams that attracts me. That vintage not a ritual hobby kind of shave.

They are as old school as soaps to me.

669B2539-0A79-4BBC-A5CF-8F1457A53EF0.jpeg
F6B91D74-8E77-4EE6-9530-F454CFD995CD.jpeg

lasta

Blade Biter
We are all longing for nostalgia. Soap and brush may be the tradition in traditional wet shaving, but growing up, canned foam + DE does it for me!

I've only tried Lemon/Lime and Original, not menthol. I like original best. But, I heard they changed the scent, haven't bought the new one yet.

We are all longing for nostalgia. Soap and brush may be the tradition in traditional wet shaving, but growing up, canned foam + DE does it for me!

I've only tried Lemon/Lime and Original, not menthol. I like original best. But, I heard they changed the scent, haven't bought the new one yet.
Oh that lemon/lime. Must have been nice.

I’ll soon order some original. Keep’em coming!

I was a big fan of Edge years back, but I find that there is always a residual film left behind. I like the slickness from Edge, but haven’t used it in a couple of years. I have a travel size tucked away for that next big trip.

For gel I used to use King of Shaves, a non-foaming gel. For foam, I've never really been able to discern a difference between Foamy, Barbasol, or store brand. And many years ago I used the Noxzema jar of brushless shave cream. Loved that stuff.

My absolute favorite was Gillette Foamy Lemon/Lime. Its discontinued now BUT I found a case at a mom and pop store and bought em out. I also really liked the mentholated Foamy. Its discontinued as well. Ive only about half a can of that left. It was a great summer foam when you were in a hurry.
Not 100% sure but I think the new foam scent is somewhat lemony

Agreed. Foamy (at least the old formulation as I haven’t tried the new one yet) is amazing on how slick it is and how well it can handle some water. Proraso is fine but like you said feels very airy and to me seems to dry out faster because of it.

Who are you people? ;) I used the stuff too when I first started because I didn't know about brushes and soaps and creams (back in the mid-60's). But getting that crap all over my hands was always an annoyance and I switched to a brush and, probably Williams or Colgate when, I believe, my barber may have said something. I recently wrote about finding a Mach3 gift set in a closet clean out that was likely an Xmas gift from a family member some years ago and it came with a can of some sort of gel that burst into lather once on your hand. I tried it with the Mach3 a couple times and tossed the can (kept the Mach3 and the 3-4 carts). It was awful.

Is it really that much more time consuming to load a brush with cream or soap and face lather, especially when traveling (assuming a synthetic brush)? What am I missing other than nostalgia?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to always use canned foams and gels. I always applied them with a brush though. None on my hands. My favourite gels and foams would be anything Nivea or Aldi’s canned Prince range. Just worked great for me.

I used to always use canned foams and gels. I always applied them with a brush though. None on my hands. My favourite gels and foams would be anything Nivea or Aldi’s canned Prince range. Just worked great for me.
So how does that work? Do you squirt it in a bowl, on your face, your brush?

Hey was wondering if anyone watched one of the YouTubers geofatboys vid about adding water to shaving foam and applying it with a brush?

thought it was brilliant idea tbf and will try it with the proraso shaving foam I've got

Hey was wondering if anyone watched one of the YouTubers geofatboys vid about adding water to shaving foam and applying it with a brush?

thought it was brilliant idea tbf and will try it with the proraso shaving foam I've got
Yep. Watched it. Never used a brush, but I apply lots of water rubbing it in with my hand.

Works perfectly.

Reactions: saj
Top Bottom