What's new

Which is your favorite NEW (BUDGET) Shaving Brush ? Choose only ONE. OK, maybe two......

Hi all,

Yesterday, I received my YAQI #24 Shaving Brush. To say i'm impressed would be an understatement!
This Brush cost me eleven dollars! It's now on sale for like nine or ten dollars!

View attachment 1041242

Also, I found this awesome vintage GREEN SOLID RUBBER Shaving Mug (and the other goodies)
J-2 Gillette 1964 SLIM Adjustable, Pocket Edition Gold Case for which I already have the proper ABC handle Razor and this neat-O funky vintage KLENZO (Pure Badger) Shaving Brush :

View attachment 1041247View attachment 1041242View attachment 1041247
@SixCats!

Wow, what a great haul! Your pictures make want to go shopping again.

But, I really need to exercise some restraint. My wallet is making whimpering noises! :laugh:

This is actually a very nice cheap synthetic Brush. Got it Yesterday used it this morning. Could Quickly become my go to Brush. 24 mm J E & C O on Amazon goes for $11.99 can’t beat that.
Soft good back bone.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I just wanted to say I very much appreciate all of you who have responded/offered your suggestions on "budget" Brushes. I'm TRYING hard to also show some restraint on purchasing (any) Brush (new or vintage). I've amassed a large number of vintage Razors (nearly two hundred) and I'm beginning to fall down the "Rabbit Hole" of Brushes!
Ugggggh.......

SixCats!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hi all,

I just wanted to say I very much appreciate all of you who have responded/offered your suggestions on "budget" Brushes. I'm TRYING hard to also show some restraint on purchasing (any) Brush (new or vintage). I've amassed a large number of vintage Razors (nearly two hundred) and I'm beginning to fall down the "Rabbit Hole" of Brushes!
Ugggggh.......

SixCats!
HA! Thank goodness we may have gotten you "off the street" of acquiring ALL the razors!!! I'm of course (sort of) kidding, my friend. I was going to visit my family down in your neck of the woods to look for razors, but then figured "nah -- SixCats! probably cleaned the area out" -- so now my poor old Mom won't see her son for who knows how long. Hmmm, I don't come off as a very good son at all in this story/joke.

Okay, enough kidding around. If you're spending more than $10 for a brush, then you're budget is much bigger than mine. I, like many others, have discovered the joys of Yaqi brushes. At the recent 11.11 sale I managed to get a Yaqi 24mm Sagrada for $5.60 (including shipping), and my first badger brush for $10.80 (yeah, I was irked that the $0.80 pushed me over my budget). My first boar was an Omega 10777 for under $5 (that was at Pasteur's Pharmacy in NYC), and all of those go with my Yaqi TimberWolf, Faux Horse Rainbow Handle, Purple Haze Mew Brown knot and Moka Express Synth -- non of which cost more than $10 shipped at the time. Now you have to have some patience to wait for the right price/sale, but I know you, like me, are just oozing with patience :lol: -- well, we may not be patient, but we have other fine qualities!

Here's the link to the Yaqi site: Yaqi Brush Store -- and enjoy the BAD (Brush Acquisition Disorder)...and perhaps I can also suggest SAD (Soap Acquisition Disorder) or RBAD (Razor Blade Acquisition Disorder)....as long as it's NOT RAD!!! :laugh:

Flintstone65

Yaqi 24mm Two-Band Badger Fan with the mysterious space handle. About US$11 when on sale.
Yep -- that's the one I JUST bought on the last 11.11 sale!!! It's my $10.81 (shipped) investment in a badger. Do you have it? Will I like it? (I know, you can't answer that last question -- but it is a shaving forum, and many of us want to be told if we'll like something :laugh:)

Well I certainly like it! My first fan shape. I've used it twice, and it feels great on the face, builds a lather easily, and releases it well too. Zero complaints about the performance. Love the handle as well. The only temporary negative? Tis a smelly beast. Washed it with hair shampoo and let it dry. Then dish soap and let it dry. First shave, I smelled nothing and thought I was done. After it dried, I smelled it again. Funk. So, another shampoo and dish soap round. Let it dry. Shave was once again wonderful. After drying, smelled. Still funky. This will go away with time (perhaps a handful more uses). Only negative in my opinion, and it's temporary as I said. Absolutely recommend this brush to anyone.

Flintstone65

Well I certainly like it! My first fan shape. I've used it twice, and it feels great on the face, builds a lather easily, and releases it well too. Zero complaints about the performance. Love the handle as well. The only temporary negative? Tis a smelly beast. Washed it with hair shampoo and let it dry. Then dish soap and let it dry. First shave, I smelled nothing and thought I was done. After it dried, I smelled it again. Funk. So, another shampoo and dish soap round. Let it dry. Shave was once again wonderful. After drying, smelled. Still funky. This will go away with time (perhaps a handful more uses). Only negative in my opinion, and it's temporary as I said. Absolutely recommend this brush to anyone.
Sounds good -- thanks for the thoughts, and the the heads-up on the funk. I had a boar that REALLY wanted to hang on to it's natural odor....but he/it lost the battle after a few shaves with Tabac. :yesnod:

Hi all , @ED3054 , LOL, thanks for that Photograph ED. Made me burst out laughing when I clicked on the link and saw that photo. Hi @Flintstone65, lol, well Sir, I am starting to collect some Brushes but be advised, I'm NOT giving up on buying Razors! In fact, I found these the other day :

View attachment 1041642

I've TRIED to downsize photos......NOT working!

Last edited:
1575757907001.png

Vintage RUBBER shaving Mug/Pocket Edition Case/Klenzo vintage Brush Pure Badger/Gillette SLIM Adjustable

Ooooh, and these two guys! I dig the "funky" handle repair job. Sort of gives that Razor a lot of character!

1575758038618.png

Flintstone65

Hi @Flintstone65, lol, well Sir, I am starting to collect some Brushes but be advised, I'm NOT giving up on buying Razors! In fact, I found these the other day :

I've TRIED to downsize photos......NOT working!
You are killing me!!! Okay, I guess dear ol' mom will get a visit, just so I can tail you and find your hunting grounds. Well done, sir.....seriously!!!

Oooh @Flintstone65, thank you Sir! I've started to really (again) put on some miles in my "hunting" for Shaving items. BTW, if you ever do get up to this area (and you're into good BLUES music) you MUST see this 22 year old young Man play Guitar! I saw him (and his Dad) performing last night in Freeport, Maine.

Funny, somehow, I didn't know about group (even they live in the next Town over from me).

The BAND is called : MEMPHIS LIGHTNING !

Super humble/nice Kid! He's already played on stage with Buddy Guy and many other excellent venues.

Memphis Lightning will be performing in ROCKLAND, MAINE this coming Monday (DECEMBER 9th.) Night at the

"Time Out" Pub. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

SixCats!

Top Bottom